Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2018, 09:56 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,792,197 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine just told me a very sad story about an illegal immigrant that crossed the border when he was 17 to escape crushing poverty and violence. He just wanted to eat and live. He has been her for decades, is married, and had a successful business. He hired an attorney because he wants to become a citizen. His attorney recommended that he turn himself in and he did. He was detained, deported, and told to come back in ten years. He had a wife, kids, a business and a life here so he crossed illegally again. Honestly, I would have taken my chances and done the same thing to be with my loved ones. Who wouldn't? Well he got caught again and has been detained for two months now. It's been hell, and he's been treated like garbage according to my friend. The conditions are something you would expect in a third world jail.

There are some that would say that he got what he deserved, and yes hate does that to people. I think there has to be a better way to treat people than to rip their kids away from them and treat them like vermin. Yes he made a mistake, desperate people do desperate things. Does that mean he deserves special treatment for not following our rule of law? No, it doesn't. There has to be a better balance than being inhumane and encouraging illegal behavior by greedy companies who hire illegals for cheap labor. We as U.S. citizens encourage people to come here and fill these positions so that we don't pay more for services and goods. How can you blame someone who is desperate from not taking advantage of that opportunity?

Change has to come from within. Incentives to come have to be eliminated, and yes, we need changes in our immigration laws. Lets start by ending chain migration and sending Melania's parents back home. Think that will ever happen? We need changes to our asylum laws. My husband beats me so I'm moving to America? Um. No. Lets stop mistreating desperate people. Give them a decent meal and a warm bed, then send them home. Treat them with firm kindness, not hate.
I don't know what's going to happen to my friend's friend. It's a tragic mistake on many levels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2018, 10:04 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,213,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I don't know what to do about the problem, but I do know enough about it to say, for those who are coming over illegally, there is no legal path for them. So it makes specious your argument that they should all just do what you did, which is come legally.

So in your mind, the lack of a legal path justifies acting illegally? You seem to think that everyone in the world has a moral right to be here, legal or not.

Old 11-03-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
If there's "no legal path" for them, then they shouldn't get to come here. You are not entitled to jump over a border fence or swim across a river because the US told you "no." What kind of crap is that?

"No legal path." Waaaaaaah. That's probably because they aren't wanted or needed.

I wonder, if ClaraC refuses to invite me into her house, am I justified to break in through a window?

Old 11-03-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
DACAs should never be rewarded citizenship. They should never be allowed to sponsor relatives to come here. Take away the carrot.

In fact, we should end family-based immigration for all categories except for spouses and minor children. Period.

I'm not sure we should even keep those exceptions. The vast majority of the time they are just end runs around immigration law. It would put a dent in the mail order bride business, though.

Old 11-03-2018, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
You mean that spirit where they are carrying and flying the flag of Honduras as they march here to demand entrance to our country without any respect for our border or our rule of law? That "spirit"? Yeah, that's great spirit.

I know, right? You'd think they would be smart enough to wave US flags, and profess the US as the country they have always admired and loved, and plead for mercy and help. Who wants to help someone who feels entitled to it and demands it?

We also don't need the kind of "spirit" where your solution to problems is to run away rather than fight to solve them.

Last edited by oceangaia; 11-03-2018 at 10:45 AM..

Old 11-03-2018, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
A friend of mine just told me a very sad story about an illegal immigrant that crossed the border when he was 17 to escape crushing poverty and violence. He just wanted to eat and live. He has been her for decades, is married, and had a successful business. He hired an attorney because he wants to become a citizen. His attorney recommended that he turn himself in and he did. He was detained, deported, and told to come back in ten years. He had a wife, kids, a business and a life here so he crossed illegally again. Honestly, I would have taken my chances and done the same thing to be with my loved ones. Who wouldn't? Well he got caught again and has been detained for two months now. It's been hell, and he's been treated like garbage according to my friend. The conditions are something you would expect in a third world jail.

Criminal actions have consequences. The fact that you got away with it for a long time does not make it all ok. And "we" were not separating him from his loved ones. He could have taken his wife and kids with him and started a new business and a new life in his own country.

Old 11-03-2018, 11:07 AM

2,418 posts, read 2,035,924 times
I fell in love with Aruba. Visited every year. At one time I considered moving there. While I was there, I requested information on relocation requirements - not an extended stay or work visa, but a full on move & if that would mean becoming an expat vs. citizenship.

You have to prove, in documents and bank accounts, that you have a sustainable income and will not be taking a job away from an Aruban. If you will be supporting any family members, you must prove the same for them. If you are going to be self-employed, your business must either be solely reliant on Aruban goods, or you must employ Arubans in exchange for dealing with import/foreign business entities. The country is very protective of its citizens & only the Dutch may move to Aruba without the restrictions placed on other would-be residents.

Point being, obviously Aruba is like many countries the world over in that they set their OWN immigration laws. Just ask Europe how it's faring since the 2015 immigration wave, and what changes are being made so things don't continually get worse. Citizens of the United States have every right to and expectation of a legal immigration process, it is vital to the country's economic and logistical health.

Old 11-03-2018, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgerider View Post
I fell in love with Aruba. Visited every year. At one time I considered moving there. While I was there, I requested information on relocation requirements - not an extended stay or work visa, but a full on move & if that would mean becoming an expat vs. citizenship.

You have to prove, in documents and bank accounts, that you have a sustainable income and will not be taking a job away from an Aruban. If you will be supporting any family members, you must prove the same for them. If you are going to be self-employed, your business must either be solely reliant on Aruban goods, or you must employ Arubans in exchange for dealing with import/foreign business entities. The country is very protective of its citizens & only the Dutch may move to Aruba without the restrictions placed on other would-be residents.

Point being, obviously Aruba is like many countries the world over in that they set their OWN immigration laws. Just ask Europe how it's faring since the 2015 immigration wave, and what changes are being made so things don't continually get worse. Citizens of the United States have every right to and expectation of a legal immigration process, it is vital to the country's economic and logistical health.

Same way in Mexico and Belize. Probably most other countries. Americans are welcome, BYOM. Bring Your Own Money.

Old 11-03-2018, 07:48 PM

66 posts, read 50,680 times
as a former business owner i am wondering how an illegal immigrant can have a 'successful business' in the USA?

As a business owner he has to register his business with the state of his residence. He needs to apply and obtain a vendor's license (to collect service or sales tax) and pay them on at least quarterly basis. He has to have an address, SSN, a valid bank account and many other things that an illegal immigrant cannot possibly have.

So, how in the world an illegal immigrant can pull off something like this?

I guess he was involved in some shady and illegal practices, lots of lies, fake documents, bribes etc. I do not feel sorry for the dude. The karma caught up with him. He got exactly what he deserves. sorry.

Old 11-04-2018, 06:37 AM

9,453 posts, read 5,212,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post

There are some that would say that he got what he deserved, and yes hate does that to people. I think there has to be a better way to treat people than to rip their kids away from them and treat them like vermin. Yes he made a mistake, desperate people do desperate things. Does that mean he deserves special treatment for not following our rule of law? No, it doesn't. There has to be a better balance than being inhumane and encouraging illegal behavior by greedy companies who hire illegals for cheap labor. We as U.S. citizens encourage people to come here and fill these positions so that we don't pay more for services and goods. How can you blame someone who is desperate from not taking advantage of that opportunity?

Change has to come from within. Incentives to come have to be eliminated, and yes, we need changes in our immigration laws. Lets start by ending chain migration and sending Melania's parents back home. Think that will ever happen? We need changes to our asylum laws. My husband beats me so I'm moving to America? Um. No. Lets stop mistreating desperate people. Give them a decent meal and a warm bed, then send them home. Treat them with firm kindness, not hate.
I don't know what's going to happen to my friend's friend. It's a tragic mistake on many levels.
You are leaving out a key piece of information. Is he married to a United States citizen or legal permanent resident? If he is, then he has a path. And he should have taken it early on. There are plenty of organizations (such as Catholic Charities) who will assist people filling out the forms. As I said on another post, there are fee waivers, too, so if you qualify based on income, you don't even have to pay the fees.

I completely understand and empathize with people wanting to come to our country and have a better life. There is a legal way to do it. When you come illegally, I don't care how ignorant or uneducated you are, you KNOW there will very likely be consequences, eventually. I can no longer 'feel sorry' for those in this situation. We can't go set up shop in THEIR country and not expect any problems. We DO have a process. A legal process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration