Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 07:50 AM

62,976 posts, read 29,170,163 times

Advertisements

Sticking ones head in the sand just makes the problem worse. Illegal immigration is a real serious problem and we need to continue to let our representatives in congress know that we aren't going to stand for it anymore. We made that statement when Trump was elected.

So many Americans have never informed themselves on this issue and just allow their emotions to blur their thought processes. That's one of the reasons that I post links denoting how devastating illegal immigration is to our country and will continue to inform as many Americans as I can. I didn't fight for this country to lose it.

For the life of me I cannot understand how any American wouldn't be concerned about millions of foreigners violating our sovereign borders and the fiscal and social impact of it. I think many of them have been brain washed by the old adage of "we are a nation of immigrants" and take it literally to mean that no matter who they are or what number they come in we are obligated to allow them into our country even if they don't follow the legal process to do so and that it's somehow immoral to deport them. Americans must become informed and stop letting their emotions rule them. Common sense has to prevail or we will lose our country.

On the other hand there are those that have a selfish vested interest in illegal immigration whether they hire them for profit or have ethnic ties to them. I say shame on them! You can never reach those types but I think there may be hope for the bleeding heart type and those are the ones I try to reach by posting facts to get them informed on this issue. They in turn could make a difference in ending this foolishness in congress. We need a good physical barrier on our border where it is feasible and enforce our immigration laws internally and never have another amnesty again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2018, 08:29 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,250,696 times
What people fail to point out is that Illegal immigration costs the US taxpayers an estimated $89 BILLION per year! Imagine what we could do with that money instead of spending it to feed, house, support, provide healthcare, education and not to mention the cost savings in the court and prison systems if we didn't have people that should not even be here to deal with.

Imagine if a wall could stop even 1/4 of the drugs that are killing people. The costs to carry an addict is ridiculous but the Dems don't care about any of it.

I wonder how the likes of Pelosi and Schummer would feel if one of their loved ones was directly affected by illegal immigration? If one of their family members was the victim of a crime at the hands of an illegal alien or suffered a drug overdose with junk that was traced back to the border?

I think that is what it will take for them to change their tune but until then border security is a joke to them.

Old 12-29-2018, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
What people fail to point out is that Illegal immigration costs the US taxpayers an estimated $89 BILLION per year! Imagine what we could do with that money instead of spending it to feed, house, support, provide healthcare, education and not to mention the cost savings in the court and prison systems if we didn't have people that should not even be here to deal with.

Imagine if a wall could stop even 1/4 of the drugs that are killing people. The costs to carry an addict is ridiculous but the Dems don't care about any of it.

I wonder how the likes of Pelosi and Schummer would feel if one of their loved ones was directly affected by illegal immigration? If one of their family members was the victim of a crime at the hands of an illegal alien or suffered a drug overdose with junk that was traced back to the border?

I think that is what it will take for them to change their tune but until then border security is a joke to them.

Funny how Schumer and many other Democrats voted for the wall bill back in 2006 but now they are opposed to it? Sure, there was some fencing built but only 30 miles of the good barriers were. Much of that fencing is breachable and Trump wants to fix that. What's the problem?

Old 12-29-2018, 10:06 AM

8,343 posts, read 2,969,036 times
Politicians are the cause. Those that support illegal immigration need to go to prison immediately.

Old 12-29-2018, 10:44 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,770,924 times
Unless and until I see employers of illegal immigrants being *prosecuted* on a large scale, I have no reason to take any of this anti-illegal-immigration talk seriously.

They're not even remotely serious unless they prosecute the employers.

Old 12-29-2018, 12:55 PM

3,854 posts, read 2,230,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalist View Post
What these narrowly minded progressives do not have is a cognisant argument against the slave trade, human trafficking, and drug smuggling.
Open borders people don't realize that they are enabling all of that. When you allow people to disregard our immigration laws like they have been, that encourages more of them to come. Now we have a mad rush of migrants from Latin America who are paying human traffickers to make it to the United States. Open borders supports that industry and endangers lives.

Even special protections for undocumented minors, which seem compassionate, actually encourage people to smuggle children into the United States making the problem worse. Child trafficking across the border is out of control. Migrants always bring children with them because they know it would give them a better chance to stay.

We have a DACA generation today because Plyver v. Doe gave undocumented children the right to go to any American public school.

If we would just say "No". None of this would be a problem.

Old 12-29-2018, 05:04 PM

1,733 posts, read 949,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
There most certainly has been. I do not know what the exact number is but 80% or more of the country will not have a wall. Those intent on the things you note are not going to allow a partial wall to stop them.

I'm sure this will be posted and address a 100 more times and still posted again.

A Harvard study indicates most voters support a wall.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...-secure-borde/

Another 54 percent overall support building a combination physical and electronic barrier between the U.S. and Mexico; 85 percent of Republicans, 54 percent of independents and 30 percent of Democrats agree.

Old 12-29-2018, 05:17 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabianhorsebreeder View Post
A Harvard study indicates most voters support a wall.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...-secure-borde/

Another 54 percent overall support building a combination physical and electronic barrier between the U.S. and Mexico; 85 percent of Republicans, 54 percent of independents and 30 percent of Democrats agree.
Well, avoid my point if you prefer.

Old 12-29-2018, 05:20 PM

It doesn't matter one iota who wants the wall and who doesn't. The only thing that matters is that they work. Most who don't want it haven't bothered to inform themselves about the effectiveness of the good walls or they have an agenda to allow the flow of illegal aliens to continue. It's really that simple.

Last edited by Oldglory; 12-29-2018 at 05:53 PM..

Old 12-29-2018, 11:10 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,816,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
It doesn't matter one iota who wants the wall and who doesn't. The only thing that matters is that they work. Most who don't want it haven't bothered to inform themselves about the effectiveness of the good walls or they have an agenda to allow the flow of illegal aliens to continue. It's really that simple.
What studies (even case studies) are you referring to when you say "they [walls] work" at that scale and also when you discuss the relation between not wanting a wall and having an "agenda to allow the flow of illegal aliens to continue". It seems like you're making stuff up to justify your own opinion.

Major flaws in what you're making up are:

1) There are people who support the wall but also have personal or professional interest in having illegal aliens in the country. People that employ these illegal aliens or benefit from the employment of these illegal aliens, for example.

2) There are people who have conceded that, unfortunately, Trump has failed to get funding for the wall from Mexico.

Historically, our military has been our best weapon. You don't need to spend billions on a wall to deploy the military (which you would still need to do once the wall is up). I'm tired of this nation becoming so politically correct and afraid to use our military. Every time I was deployed, I felt the confidence the American people had in this nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration