Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think illegal aliens should be denied health care?
Yes, under all circumstances 51 35.42%
Yes, unless it is an emergency 73 50.69%
No, they should not be denied health care at hospitals and doctors offices 12 8.33%
Other 5 3.47%
No opinion/Not sure 3 2.08%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 11:41 AM

1,818 posts, read 3,094,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
I know the case you are talking about. There was alot of media coverage mainly because situations like that are so rare.
As I recall, it involved illegal alien parents with a young infant who was ill with a digestive illness for 10 days and subsequently died. I think the parents simply did not understand the seriousness of the situation until it was too late. If they truly felt their child's life was in danger, there were a number of things they could have done to get medical care for him.

1. They could have contacted the Mexican consulate or La Raza, LULAC or any of the groups that help illegal aliens and explained their situation. I rarely have much good to say about La Raza, but in this case I am sure they would have allayed the parents fears about deportation and told them to take the child to the ER.
2. They could have contacted a priest or other clergyman who would have told them the same thing.
3. They could have asked co-workers or neighbors what to do. Surely someone would have known that they could go to the ER.
4. Call 911 and ask the operator what to do.

Instead they did nothing and the child died. This unfortunately was due to poor choices made by the parents.
The illegals are usually blamed for many things, so I'm not surprised that they are blamed for the death of their child
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2008, 11:43 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyone View Post
The illegals are usually blamed for many things, so I'm not surprised that they are blamed for the death of their child

Anyone who would sit there and let their own baby die and make the excuse that they were afraid they might have to return home IS to blame for the death of their child.

Would you do that? Say you were over in Europe or Canada and your baby was dying and you were afraid they'd send you home. You'd let your baby die? That's criminal.

Old 04-19-2008, 11:47 AM

3,712 posts, read 6,478,559 times
Quote:
Who do you propose to blame?

Old 04-19-2008, 11:48 AM

1,281 posts, read 2,367,855 times
Stay on topic.

Old 04-19-2008, 11:52 AM

1,818 posts, read 3,094,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Anyone who would sit there and let their own baby die and make the excuse that they were afraid they might have to return home IS to blame for the death of their child.

Would you do that? Say you were over in Europe or Canada and your baby was dying and you were afraid they'd send you home. You'd let your baby die? That's criminal.
The topic is should Illegal aliens be denied health care and my answer if if it is an emergency YES THEY SHOULD, all lives are worth saving and we are not to play God.

Old 04-19-2008, 11:53 AM

3,712 posts, read 6,478,559 times
Quote:
The topic is should Illegal aliens be denied health care and my answer if if it is an emergency YES THEY SHOULD, all lives are worth saving and we are not to play God.
They are not denied health care in an emergency.

Old 04-19-2008, 11:58 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
And my answer was they should not wait for the lives of their children to be in danger and there is nothing stopping them from going to a private physician and paying for the care they get.

The average remittance to Mexico is something like $400 a month. There is no good excuse to not use at least some of it on a doctor's office visit and there is no good excuse for obtaining routine medical care in a hospital ER.

And yes -- we should provide emergency care, get them stabilized enough for the trip back home where they can continue getting medical care there. There are doctors in Mexico after all.

Old 04-19-2008, 01:10 PM

2,935 posts, read 5,000,340 times
Quote:
If your concern is that the entire country may contract a contagious disease, then you should be in favor of everyone coming to the US through legal channels. When a person comes to the US legally, they are given a medical screening for diseases so that we do not end up with a scenario where many people are sickened because someone with an infectious disease spread it.
Absolutely we should work to slow down the flow of illegal immigration (making it easier to immigrate legally so they're not digging tunnels would be a good start) but that doesn't do anything about the health situation of the people already here.

Old 04-19-2008, 02:06 PM

1,268 posts, read 1,135,786 times
Quote:
They are not denied health care in an emergency.

Correct-- no one is.

Old 04-19-2008, 06:25 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Health care should be given away free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration