Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who is MOST to blame for this wave of illegal immigration?
The Mexican Government 2 6.45%
The United States Government (including federal, state, and city government) 16 51.61%
The illegal aliens themselves 2 6.45%
The illegal alien advocates who live here 2 6.45%
Businesses who hire the undocumented 6 19.35%
Other/No opinion 3 9.68%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 10:52 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
First, the situation today could not have occurred without the US allowing it to happen. But ask, who gains from the presence of the undocumenteds here?

*Farmers seeking cheap, part-time labor and the consumers who eat farm produce.

*Meat packers, assemblers and other factory operations seeking cheap labor. The customers of the factories.

*Seasonal employers, employers with dirty, dangerous jobs.

*Businesses which are profitable because they use a workforce that doesn't complain about conditions or sue. Consumers who buy cheap products from those businesses.

So, undocumented workers are an integral part of the US economy. The entire country gains from their low-paid work. Those who are most to blame are the people who ignore this fact or refuse to make any changes in the situation.
The entire country does not gain - just ask the citizens who have had their neighborhoods destroyed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 11:21 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,871,648 times
I voted for the aliens themselves. Its like who is to blame for an alcoholic's problems. Is it the manufacturer of the alcohol, the gov. for allowing the distribution and sale, the clerk for selling it, the spouse for enabling the behavior. Or is it the alcoholic for making the decision to drink knowing full well the ramifications. What has happened to personal responsibility?

Old 04-23-2008, 11:54 AM

1,213 posts, read 1,632,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I voted for the aliens themselves. Its like who is to blame for an alcoholic's problems. Is it the manufacturer of the alcohol, the gov. for allowing the distribution and sale, the clerk for selling it, the spouse for enabling the behavior. Or is it the alcoholic for making the decision to drink knowing full well the ramifications. What has happened to personal responsibility?
Buying alcohol is not illegal and the consequences of alcoholism mainly fall on the alcoholic himself, although his immediate family is usually impacted.

ILLEGAL immigration is infinitely more invasive and is created by the jobs magnet provided by the employers of illegals. This illegal labor is only "cheap" for the employers of illegals because the American taxpayers totally SUBSIDIZE this so called cheap labor.

Old 04-23-2008, 02:57 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Still dosent take the ultimate responsibility off the individual aliens. If I break the law it is my decision and my responsibility regardless of what my motivation was.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:50 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Still dosent take the ultimate responsibility off the individual aliens. If I break the law it is my decision and my responsibility regardless of what my motivation was.
True, they knew when they crossed that border or overstayed that visa that they were committing a crime. When it's time for them to be deported and find that they won't be coming back legally for at least 10 years, they can look at their own actions as the reason.

It's the same for us if we go illlegally into another country. If we are caught there are consequences and we would have to look at the choices we made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration