Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2008, 09:09 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,702,743 times

Advertisements

Personally, I think we allow WAY too many people legally in the United States per year. We literally give citizenship to a "Dallas" size group every year. Its absurd. I understand that this is a nation of immigrants, but when you have this many, assimilation is hard, the deamand for welfare goes up, the government cannot work with the new immigrants as closely to help them learn English, and Americans are loosing jobs. Also, I think we need to limit the size of each group who comes. Asians, Western Europeans, Eastern Europeans, Central Americans, Africans, South Americans, etc. should all be regulated so that a broader group of immigrants come to the US (instead of 60% coming from one particular area of the choices above).

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 09:21 PM

1,268 posts, read 1,135,786 times
Tone it down, not cut it off completely.

Old 04-25-2008, 04:06 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
Personally, I think we allow WAY too many people legally in the United States per year. We literally give citizenship to a "Dallas" size group every year. Its absurd. I understand that this is a nation of immigrants, but when you have this many, assimilation is hard, the deamand for welfare goes up, the government cannot work with the new immigrants as closely to help them learn English, and Americans are loosing jobs. Also, I think we need to limit the size of each group who comes. Asians, Western Europeans, Eastern Europeans, Central Americans, Africans, South Americans, etc. should all be regulated so that a broader group of immigrants come to the US (instead of 60% coming from one particular area of the choices above).

What do you think?
A cutback on legal immigration is long overdue. We are the most generous country in the world regarding immigration. i'm sure it is time for someone else to take that title considering our current state.

Old 04-25-2008, 07:02 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
A cutback on legal immigration is long overdue. We are the most generous country in the world regarding immigration. i'm sure it is time for someone else to take that title considering our current state.
Bring back the pre 1965 system and call it good.

Old 04-25-2008, 07:31 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
There needs to be some limits. The only people who want unlimited immigration are those benefitting by cheap labor and of course the Mexican government.

Immigration is meant primarily to keep wages down. Increased profits for the CEOs, and home builders and so on. Some immigration is beneficial because some people would really wish to become American, they belong here because they fit in better with us than their own countries.

Jobs should go to Americans first. Then legal immigrants can be brought in but the main criteria should not be that the immigrant will work cheaper but that the immigrant desires to be an American, can be self-supporting, and can learn the language.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:42 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,343,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Bring back the pre 1965 system and call it good.
Yes, it used to be that no one could come unless they had job skills we needed, and they were sponsored by a citizen so they would not become a burden on the state. This sponsor would agree to support them, if they couldn't support themselves.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:27 AM

220 posts, read 381,723 times
ocexpo,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo;
What do you think?
I think that we will continue to import millions of third worlders even as we fall into economic recession and that the American people wil never wake up until it's too late.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:33 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,640,468 times
If the economy really tanks, I think legal immigration should be curtailed. I also think that the resentment for illegals (especially whilst waving the flags of their countries of origins yet demanding US rights) will be unprecedented.

Old 04-25-2008, 11:33 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
If the economy really tanks, I think legal immigration should be curtailed. I also think that the resentment for illegals (especially whilst waving the flags of their countries of origins yet demanding US rights) will be unprecedented.
I agree line for line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration