Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 11:16 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,609,273 times

Advertisements

PALO ALTO, Calif. -- Fifty years ago, Jack Kilby, who grew up in Great Bend, Kan., took the electrical engineering knowledge he acquired as an undergraduate at the University of Illinois and as a graduate student at the University of Wisconsin to Dallas, to Texas Instruments, where he helped invent the modern world as we routinely experience and manipulate it. Working with improvised equipment, he created the first electronic circuit in which all the components fit on a single piece of semiconductor material half the size of a paper clip.

washingtonpost.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 06:21 AM

1,482 posts, read 2,384,949 times
Excellent article but then George Will wrote it. He is one of the best syndicated columnists in America. I have nothing but the highest respect and praise for this man. He has written well on non-political subjects and is a well read and well rounded person. He is the kind of man who gives the conservative movement dignity and value. Men like George Will are in very short supply these days. Thanks for sharing John1960.

Old 06-27-2008, 08:31 AM

1,044 posts, read 1,954,217 times
Great article, as a democrat, George Will has always been one of my favorite conservatives, he's smart and applies common sense answers to problems that really shouldn't be problems in the first place. I heard a story similar to this a few months ago on NPR, there were foreign engineers and scientists wanting desperately to be invited to stay and work here in America, but most were turned down because there were too many of them and not enough green cards to go around.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:29 AM

I just can't stay away from this thread. George Will is proof positive that to maintain any semblance of a democratic society both Conservative and progressive ideas are a necessity. The work like a form of political "checks and balances".

A lot of people say they are conservatives and do not really know George Will. That's a shame because they like to bring up names of pundits who are most of the time just sensationalists using one side or the other for personal gain. Will certainly is not like that. If one of those cable networks would give him even just an hour a week i might subscribe to cable again. As it is I can live without cable news. It simply full of "charlatans and mountebanks" and one needn't pay for that.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:14 AM

1,044 posts, read 1,954,217 times
This is very true. I was speaking to someone at work the other day, we hold very different views and we were going down a list of some of the people that we listen to and read. I told him that I have always enjoyed watching George Will on the Sunday morning talk show and reading his commentaries, even if I don't agree with him, I respect his point of view his approach. Unfortunately he had no idea who George Will was and he pretty much relied on the Sean Hannity's of the world for his "conservative" perspective.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLLL98 View Post
This is very true. I was speaking to someone at work the other day, we hold very different views and we were going down a list of some of the people that we listen to and read. I told him that I have always enjoyed watching George Will on the Sunday morning talk show and reading his commentaries, even if I don't agree with him, I respect his point of view his approach. Unfortunately he had no idea who George Will was and he pretty much relied on the Sean Hannity's of the world for his "conservative" perspective.

That's sad but I hope maybe you turned him on to George Will. But then there are a lot of people on both sides of the aisle that seem to enjoy the divisiveness about today's American politics much more than the issue of getting the country back on track and using each others ideas to do so.

Old 06-27-2008, 03:43 PM

136 posts, read 292,353 times
Two-thirds of doctoral candidates in science and engineering in U.S. universities are foreign-born? Does anyone have any information to verify this?

If such information is true then our government should really start to focus more on encouraging the youth to be more focused in studying said subjects.

Old 06-27-2008, 06:06 PM

How about this during the past year and a half my wife and I have had major health problems up the wazoo. We are both attended to at Chicago's Northwester Memorial hospital which is on of the 10 best in the nation. It is a world class hospital beyond any doubt. I have had a nerve problem and my neurologist is super, she's from Tunisia, the consulting neurologist is from Japan, the neurosurgeon is Chinese and the GP is Greek. My wife is being treated at the Laurie Cancer Center Her surgeon was from Mexico, her oncologist is Canadian, his assistant is an American and very good, her radiologist is from India (head of the department), the consulting dermatologist is from Chile. All the people who treated me at the "Sleep Center" however were all Americans but they were technicians and not MDs. So what's going on with American doctors? I haven't the faintest but obviously something.

Old 06-27-2008, 06:57 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9 View Post
How about this during the past year and a half my wife and I have had major health problems up the wazoo. We are both attended to at Chicago's Northwester Memorial hospital which is on of the 10 best in the nation. It is a world class hospital beyond any doubt. I have had a nerve problem and my neurologist is super, she's from Tunisia, the consulting neurologist is from Japan, the neurosurgeon is Chinese and the GP is Greek. My wife is being treated at the Laurie Cancer Center Her surgeon was from Mexico, her oncologist is Canadian, his assistant is an American and very good, her radiologist is from India (head of the department), the consulting dermatologist is from Chile. All the people who treated me at the "Sleep Center" however were all Americans but they were technicians and not MDs. So what's going on with American doctors? I haven't the faintest but obviously something.
Probably because the 'best brains' say the hell with their home countries for many reasons and try their luck here in the USA.

40 years ago; many of our best minds were Jewish, both American as well as (legal) immigrants.

Back to your query: almost as if American parents all too often do not expect excellence from their children------because many of us adults (sorry to say) are still 'children' at heart (and not in the good sense either).

Old 06-27-2008, 10:15 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,336,163 times
Letting in smart people from other countries is not the best way this country should go

The best thing to do is to make sure our own home grown peeps are smarter than the 3rd world nations on this earth

The only way to do that: stop letting in all these foreigners so they can learn from us, and stop sharing technological and scientific advantages with them

But I guess that is already too late
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration