Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 07:23 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,727,010 times

Advertisements

washingtonpost.com

Quote:
The sign's text has changed a few times, but its message has essentially remained the same: Latino immigrants have been exploited by ungrateful, racist white residents who took advantage of their labor and now want them to leave.
Very untrue, this sign should be taken down for that reason alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 07:37 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,326,380 times
What follows is a rambling indictment of Prince William County and Manassas, likening efforts to target illegal immigrants in the jurisdictions with slavery, Jim Crow laws and the Ku Klux Klan. "We demand equality and justice for all," Fernandez's broadside concludes. "We will not be your slaves of the 21st century."

Gee if I have to hear ILLEGAL aliens compared with Black Americans who were slaves and had to endure Jim Crow laws one more time I think I am going to scream. This is disgusting and makes me ill.

Let's see-Black Americans back in the 1700's & 1800's brought here AGAINST their will. The 14th Amendment was established for the children of slaves once slavery was abolished(not for anchor babies). Jim Crow laws used to keep Black Americans from voting.

Illegal aliens-came here of their own free will and guess what? They can leave of their own free will too. Black American slaves did not have that option. Illegal Aliens don't have a right to vote and guess what should not. Black Americans were denied that right and that was disgusting.

I think it is beyond disgusting to compare illegal lawbreakers who have no right to be here to slaves and to Black Americans who were denied rights via Jim Crow.

Old 07-02-2008, 07:43 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,124,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
What follows is a rambling indictment of Prince William County and Manassas, likening efforts to target illegal immigrants in the jurisdictions with slavery, Jim Crow laws and the Ku Klux Klan. "We demand equality and justice for all," Fernandez's broadside concludes. "We will not be your slaves of the 21st century."

Gee if I have to hear ILLEGAL aliens compared with Black Americans who were slaves and had to endure Jim Crow laws one more time I think I am going to scream. This is disgusting and makes me ill.

Let's see-Black Americans back in the 1700's & 1800's brought here AGAINST their will. The 14th Amendment was established for the children of slaves once slavery was abolished(not for anchor babies). Jim Crow laws used to keep Black Americans from voting.

Illegal aliens-came here of their own free will and guess what? They can leave of their own free will too. Black American slaves did not have that option. Illegal Aliens don't have a right to vote and guess what should not. Black Americans were denied that right and that was disgusting.

I think it is beyond disgusting to compare illegal lawbreakers who have no right to be here to slaves and to Black Americans who were denied rights via Jim Crow.
As you stated.

If I were a Black person whose ancestors were US slaves------I would be uber pissed!

BTW: Fernandez; if you feel that strongly about the 'racist' South------then leave. No one is going to stop you with the possible exception of a patron------who probably should be deported anyway.

Quote:
"I really want the community to see what has been done to us people of color these last 500 years," said Fernandez, whose message to the "European Americans" of Manassas considers Latino immigrants to be "Native Americans" with a historical right to live in the United States.
What a crock: somehow I doubt that Fernandez's direct ancestors lived in any part of the present USA let alone NoVa prior to 1492.

If an Aztec can live wherever he wants; that also means a Cherokee can live in Chiapas-----somehow, the Mexican government would not agree.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:07 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 24 days ago)

27,636 posts, read 16,120,970 times
Quote:

Illegal aliens-came here of their own free will and guess what? They can leave of their own free will too. .
Preferably with a boot in their A$$ and their employers in federal prison.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:32 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,636,097 times
Quote:

Great points! I would rep you if I could....

Old 07-02-2008, 09:06 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,553,332 times
Quote:

Can't rep you anymore, or I would. SO on-point!....time for the folks in Virginia to "FREE THE SLAVES"......let those poor people go home. After all, 'home is where the heart is' !!!

BTW....just HAD to throw in a tiny 'blurb' about my favorite subject, "multiculturalism". Aside from all the ongoing controversy, this example ALSO points up the differences in culture (as does much of this forum)...and that is,The fact that the message on this sign can be presented to the public WITHOUT ANY APPARENT SENSE OF SHAME....and with NO APPARENT IRONY IN MIND...and "WITH A STRAIGHT FACE"..is, in itself, a sign of a deep cultural disconnect. The people behind this sign are apparently unaware of the fact that, to the American public, this message is bound to sound 'silly' and is far more likely to infuriate people, than to elicit any sympathy. Much like the "Flag-waving" rampages of a few years ago, which succeeded in turning people AGAINST the flag-wavers, not bringing them any sympathy. A simple misunderstanding, drawn from deep cultural 'failure to communicate'. One man's 'statement' is another man's 'nonsense'.

Last edited by macmeal; 07-02-2008 at 09:16 AM..

Old 07-02-2008, 11:29 AM

3,712 posts, read 6,476,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Can't rep you anymore, or I would. SO on-point!....time for the folks in Virginia to "FREE THE SLAVES"......let those poor people go home. After all, 'home is where the heart is' !!!

BTW....just HAD to throw in a tiny 'blurb' about my favorite subject, "multiculturalism". Aside from all the ongoing controversy, this example ALSO points up the differences in culture (as does much of this forum)...and that is,The fact that the message on this sign can be presented to the public WITHOUT ANY APPARENT SENSE OF SHAME....and with NO APPARENT IRONY IN MIND...and "WITH A STRAIGHT FACE"..is, in itself, a sign of a deep cultural disconnect. The people behind this sign are apparently unaware of the fact that, to the American public, this message is bound to sound 'silly' and is far more likely to infuriate people, than to elicit any sympathy. Much like the "Flag-waving" rampages of a few years ago, which succeeded in turning people AGAINST the flag-wavers, not bringing them any sympathy. A simple misunderstanding, drawn from deep cultural 'failure to communicate'. One man's 'statement' is another man's 'nonsense'.
They truly do have a propensity for shooting themselves in the foot, don't they? It has been suggested that maybe the Klan is their PR firm.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:59 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,124,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
They truly do have a propensity for shooting themselves in the foot, don't they? It has been suggested that maybe the Klan is their PR firm.
You have noticed that as well?

Worse: the MEChA types apparently are cutting their own throats quite nicely--------no KKK 'help' needed.

Again; as I stated in the past.......what concerns me are people like Benicar's son, macmeal's wife/kids, etc. getting caught in the crossfire--------people who look stereotyically Hispanic and may be mistaken for illegal immigrants.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:14 PM

148 posts, read 471,504 times
The story mentioned yet another one of these "rights' groups, this one called "Mexicans Without Borders".

NICE. So Mexicans and Mexicans alone should be entitled to go where ever they want on this planet, without any sort of oversite, simply because they're Mexican?

Obviously it's a play on Doctors Without Borders, but exactly what does this moronic group hope to accomplish? Sending fruit pickers where ever fruit needs to be picked in the world? I mean, really. "Mexicans Without Borders", an "immigrant advocacy group".

"Blah blah blah, we are criminal illegal aliens and we demand you give us whatever we want or we will scream racism...we are the epitome of paraistes, blah blah blah.." said Nancy Lyall, spokeswoman for the immigrant advocacy group Mexicans Without Borders, which has rallied behind Fernandez

Old 07-02-2008, 12:27 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,553,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karkyco View Post
Obviously it's a play on Doctors Without Borders, but exactly what does this moronic group hope to accomplish? Sending fruit pickers where ever fruit needs to be picked in the world? I mean, really. "Mexicans Without Borders", an "immigrant advocacy group".
[/i]
No one seems to agree on this....apparently, from all outward appearances, what they 'hope to accomplish', is the total revulsion, on the part of the public, toward ALL Mexicans. Exactly WHY they'd want to do this, I couldn't even guess. But that's what they seem to be accomplishing. Makes life VERY tough on eveyone...even some of their 'beneficiaries', believe me. They aren't doing MOST folks any favor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration