Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 07:39 AM

4,829 posts, read 7,749,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
But the reality is that few poor immigrants have ever mastered English -- whether they were Germans immigrating to the Dakotas or Italians populating the Little Italys of American cities. You don't need good English to plow fields or cut meat. The important thing is that the immigrants' children learn English. They did it then, and they're obviously doing it now.
There is no demagogue-free zone on immigration, but the direction of majority opinion is pretty clear. Americans can live with another amnesty, as long as it's the last. The rest of the debate, if the candidates want one, is with special interests.
Rasmussen Reports™: The most comprehensive public opinion coverage ever provided for a presidential election.

Interesting article but i don't think many of you will like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 07:51 AM

2,732 posts, read 6,767,656 times
No Amnesty No Way!
I did agree with one of your earlier post's about hitting the Employers hard however!
Hit the Employers,create a ID program that cant be scammed.
That would at least restore some sanity!

Old 07-08-2008, 07:58 AM

218 posts, read 437,904 times
Knight, I agree it's a good and more or less sanguine treatment of the situation.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:59 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,329,701 times
Americans can live with another amnesty as long as it is the last? That is not true. No one was polled for that comment-that was what the person in the article said. The amnesty of 86 was supposed to be the LAST. That is how it was sold to the public and also is a reason that some politicians bit the bullet and voted for it. Just because someone says the American people will go for it does not make it true. Just because McAmnesty runs around and says nonsense like that does not make it true either.

The 1986 amnesty was a few million-that was traitourus, a slap in the face to Americans and legal immigrants and was hard enough to swallow. Sorry but the American public is not going to go for 20+ million whether the borders are secure or not.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:05 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
Americans can live with another amnesty as long as it is the last? That is not true. No one was polled for that comment-that was what the person in the article said. The amnesty of 86 was supposed to be the LAST. That is how it was sold to the public and also is a reason that some politicians bit the bullet and voted for it. Just because someone says the American people will go for it does not make it true. Just because McAmnesty runs around and says nonsense like that does not make it true either.

The 1986 amnesty was a few million-that was traitourus, a slap in the face to Americans and legal immigrants and was hard enough to swallow. Sorry but the American public is not going to go for 20+ million whether the borders are secure or not.
"Burn me TWICE (or 6 or 8 times), shame on ME".....

Good points....we're supposed to 'forget' those previous amnesties. Like the cheating spouse says, "last time was the LAST time".....at least, that is, until next time.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:07 AM

2,065 posts, read 3,594,329 times
Quote:
Views expressed in this column are those of the author, not those of Rasmussen Reports.
It seems that RasmussenReports doesn't support their columnist's OPINION...

Old 07-08-2008, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
It seems that RasmussenReports doesn't support their columnist's OPINION...
WOW, they say that of every columnist.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:58 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,120,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Actually, I don't think YOU liked it. You see, it says that the majority favor LEGAL immigration as well as the majority is against ILLEGAL immigration. So you see, we aren't against immigration. We welcome legal immigrants with open arms and hope that they immerse themselves into American society.

We don't like illegal immigrants, many of whom refuse to immerse themselves into American society.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
Actually, I don't think YOU liked it. You see, it says that the majority favor LEGAL immigration as well as the majority is against ILLEGAL immigration. So you see, we aren't against immigration. We welcome legal immigrants with open arms and hope that they immerse themselves into American society.

We don't like illegal immigrants, many of whom refuse to immerse themselves into American society.
Who says i like illegal immigration? But unlike you, i don't demonize and scapegoat the illegal immigrants for every single problem in the U.S.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:47 AM

3,712 posts, read 6,478,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Who says i like illegal immigration? But unlike you, i don't demonize and scapegoat the illegal immigrants for every single problem in the U.S.
This is the immigration forum. It is therefore reasonable to expect that people here will voice concerns about immigration. I am tired of this blanket statement that illegal immigrants are demonized and made scapegoat for 'every single problem in the US'. Back it up. Show where someone has said that illegal immigrants are to be blamed for the floods in Iowa or bad elevator music. Or Simon Cowell. Or the US Senate. Or even implied that they are responsible for the shape of that Scion car. Go ahead. I dare you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration