Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 09:59 AM

56 posts, read 254,197 times

Advertisements

Cubans can stay once they touch dry land.It is called the wet foot dry foot act .It was made because of when kenedy promised the cuban revulition in the 70 s that we would back it up with the military ,and we did not .their fighters were slaughtered and to make up for it the govt.said if you can make it here you can have assylum.Time has passed lets revoke it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2007, 11:39 AM

83 posts, read 326,502 times
Default Are you Native American?

Quote:
Originally Posted by christa17 View Post
Cubans can stay once they touch dry land.It is called the wet foot dry foot act .It was made because of when kenedy promised the cuban revulition in the 70 s that we would back it up with the military ,and we did not .their fighters were slaughtered and to make up for it the govt.said if you can make it here you can have assylum.Time has passed lets revoke it!
Christa, we need to revoke bad people. Remember it is not a race issue that we have in Miami, it is the crime that is bringing down this place, crime done by all people.

Native Americans are the indigenous peoples within the territory that is now encompassed by the continental United States, including parts of Alaska down to their descendants in modern times. They comprise a large number of distinct tribes, states, and ethnic groups, many of which are still enduring as political communities. There is some controversy surrounding the names used to describe these peoples: they are also known as American Indians, Indians, Amerindians, Amerinds, or Indigenous, Aboriginal or Original Americans. In Canada they are known as First Nations.

How many of us are true native americans?

Old 01-25-2007, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellyg View Post
Christa, we need to revoke bad people. Remember it is not a race issue that we have in Miami, it is the crime that is bringing down this place, crime done by all people.

Native Americans are the indigenous peoples within the territory that is now encompassed by the continental United States, including parts of Alaska down to their descendants in modern times. They comprise a large number of distinct tribes, states, and ethnic groups, many of which are still enduring as political communities. There is some controversy surrounding the names used to describe these peoples: they are also known as American Indians, Indians, Amerindians, Amerinds, or Indigenous, Aboriginal or Original Americans. In Canada they are known as First Nations.

dont believe in race Anthropology 101 but i do believe in culture and there sure are culture differences between people.Assimilation is a must and those who claim alegiance to two countries are a are not americans.We should welcome all peoples with open arms ,anything less would be un american but in return that person must assimilate.otherwise they are not acting as americans ,people get off track and say that it is unamerican to ask a person to assimlate ,no it is unamerican not to assimilate.Flying a flag other than the american is not assimilation.
little something from the great pres T.R.
There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all.
This is just as true of the man who puts “native” before the hyphen as of the man who puts German or Irish or English or French before the hyphen. Americanism is a matter of the spirit and of the soul. Our allegiance must be purely to the United States. We must unsparingly condemn any man who holds any other allegiance.
But if he is heartily and singly loyal to this Republic, then no matter where he was born, he is just as good an American as any one else.
The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English- Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian- Americans, or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality than with the other citizens of the American Republic.
The men who do not become Americans and nothing else are hyphenated Americans; and there ought to be no room for them in this country. The man who calls himself an American citizen and who yet shows by his actions that he is primarily the citizen of a foreign land, plays a thoroughly mischievous part in the life of our body politic. He has no place here; and the sooner he returns to the land to which he feels his real heart-allegiance, the better it will be for every good American.
Addressing the Knights of Columbus in New York City
12 October 1915

AMEN brother T.R.

Last edited by christa17; 01-25-2007 at 07:17 PM..

Old 01-25-2007, 08:07 PM

603 posts, read 1,999,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellyg View Post

My grandpa is half Cherokee and my grandma was a half French-Canadian Indian. The rest of my ancestors came from different European countries. That makes me part Indian and European, but I still consider myself 100% American and nothing else.

Old 01-25-2007, 08:31 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,194,827 times
Our country is a great mix of ethnic groups from all over the world. Many ethnic groups are represented in most of the states and we recognized and celebrate with them their customs for generations.

All of the groups has helped formed our country and the majority are hard working families looking to get ahead and help each other. If we try to follow our family history most will find that Europe is a common ground, other will be Africa and the rest will be the orient or Middle East.

The Hispanic group is now the largest minority group in USA; they represent all of Central/South America. A Hispanic and an African American are running for the presidency of our country.

We must realize that all groups are here to stay and is not going to change.

Old 01-26-2007, 01:56 AM

922 posts, read 1,912,828 times
kdizzle, you are my american brother. when did we stop being americans? my grand father came here and was and american only. my father taught me the same. somebody in the last few years screwed it up. the rest of you need to get it straight in your minds. american first, american only. or as my grandfather would say " if your so inlove with the old country, go back there" GOD I miss them.

Old 01-26-2007, 03:29 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,203,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdizzle View Post
My grandpa is half Cherokee and my grandma was a half French-Canadian Indian. The rest of my ancestors came from different European countries. That makes me part Indian and European, but I still consider myself 100% American and nothing else.
I'm American too, but I'm also German, French and Portuguese -- 1/2 European Portuguese and 1/2 Brazilian Portuguese. According to the new classifications I read on these boards (not paying attention to the fact that no one from my family got here later than 1900) I am now Hispanic.

Right?

Old 01-26-2007, 03:32 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,203,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
I'm American too, but I'm also German, French and Portuguese -- 1/2 European Portuguese and 1/2 Brazilian Portuguese. According to the new classifications I read on these boards (not paying attention to the fact that no one from my family got here later than 1900) I am now Hispanic.

Right?
Actually, I should clarify that 1/2 European Portuguese because my grandmother was born in Africa in a Portuguese colony to Portuguese parents --

So would that make me African American AND Hispanic?

I was born in the South and I'm white...

Old 01-26-2007, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
Our country is a great mix of ethnic groups from all over the world. Many ethnic groups are represented in most of the states and we recognized and celebrate with them their customs for generations.

All of the groups has helped formed our country and the majority are hard working families looking to get ahead and help each other. If we try to follow our family history most will find that Europe is a common ground, other will be Africa and the rest will be the orient or Middle East.

The Hispanic group is now the largest minority group in USA; they represent all of Central/South America. A Hispanic and an African American are running for the presidency of our country.

We must realize that all groups are here to stay and is not going to change.
You say "The Hispanic group is now the largest minority group in USA; they represent all of Central/South America."Then they are not Americans and need to leave.

Last edited by domergurl; 01-26-2007 at 10:46 AM.. Reason: No need to repeat the TR quote

Old 01-26-2007, 11:00 AM

17,765 posts, read 39,813,177 times
That's a nice isolationist viewpoint christa ...

The United States is a very unique country in that we are, I believe, the only country in the world which does not have an official language. This perpetuates hyphenated Americans. You can be born, live and die here without ever having to learn English. Is that wrong? Well, apparently, the government doesn't really care because they are the ones who would need to do something about it. We truly are a melting pot and that's one of our strengths.

As for the TR quote ... it was given during a Knights of Columbus meeting ... hmmm Knights of Columbus ... Columbus ... Christopher Columbus, an Italian (but I digress). The organization was founded to dedicate to the principles of Charity, Unity, Fraternity, and Patriotism ... put that quote in context and TR was merely speaking to his audience. Don't forget, by 1915, when he gave that speech, he was no longer president and was bitter toward Woodrow Wilson's foreign policy when WWI broke out. He was also bitter toward German and Irish Americans because they wanted this country to remain neutral during the war ... hence the speech against hyphenated Americans.

I guess my point is that you can't take a quote, given in a historical context and expect to squeeze relevance out of it today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration