Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2008, 10:54 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,293,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Vicente Fox was an attempt to fix the government. He was the first president to not be in the 3 generation long PRI control. Again, look up the Mexican Revolution.

And anyway, if we as Americans- with a higher standard of living and higher education level- cannot fix our own messed up government, how dare we say that the Mexicans should revolt against theirs? Especially considering their government system is only 8 years old... ours has stayed pretty much the same.

Not saying that illegal immigration is OK- but you have to understand where it's coming from.

I find it interesting as a politics and Latin American studies student. If I was an average Mexican, I'd be much more interested in getting out.
Ever heard of the American Revolution where 13 colonies stood up against the British empire? Instead of me reading about the Mexican Revolution, why don't Mexicans learn about this.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 12:02 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Oh darling, how little you know about Mexican history. Please, do yourself a favor and wikipedia the Mexican Revolution.

Calderon is a massive failure and won an election much like our own 2000 election- by a small, questionable margin. In addition, Mexico is in an interesting time in it's political history. Really, it only has had a free democracy in the past 8 years since the PRI opened up the system. As a new democracy, there are going to be some hickups. Calderon has just been a massive one.
I don't really like Calderon because I think he's just another trying to dump his country's problems onto the USA and he fails to respect our sovereignty BUT -- can anyone run Mexico?

Everyone knows Mexico needs reforms, but the minute someone comes along and proposes any change, the people get all up in arms about it. Mexicans love to protest, they love to get out on the streets and march.

To me that problems are very deep seated. There are few responsible hard working Mexicans who believe in self-reliance but a whole lot of them want government control but then they do nothing but complain about it. They are very big into unions and like to threaten to shut down the highways and communications but then they gripe about how backward their country is.

They'll complain about corruption, but the minute they're pulled over -- even in the USA, they start trying to bribe the cop. They are the first ones to try to use "connections" to get a job, even bragging about how they do just that.

Old 08-18-2008, 10:57 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Quote:
Oh darling, how little you know about Mexican history. Please, do yourself a favor and wikipedia the Mexican Revolution.

Calderon is a massive failure and won an election much like our own 2000 election- by a small, questionable margin. In addition, Mexico is in an interesting time in it's political history. Really, it only has had a free democracy in the past 8 years since the PRI opened up the system. As a new democracy, there are going to be some hickups. Calderon has just been a massive one.
Excuse me? And directing me to Wikipedia for a history lesson?

I don't need you to give me your version of Mexican history. I stick by what I am saying. The Mexican government encourages their citizens to sneak over the border to get jobs . . . b/c they are using our economy to bolster their own. Where do you think our American dollars get sent? They are being sent back to Mexico and used to underwrite their infrastructure.

Maybe if you actually read some bona fide history rather than Wikipedia, you might have a less skewered understanding of Mexico's history.

If the people wanted a different government, they should fight to make the changes and be willing to make the sacrifices that go along with it.

Old 08-18-2008, 04:03 PM

3,645 posts, read 4,926,999 times
Why do so many honestly think that Wiki is a good source of information? I mean, look at the fact that they allow anyone to make revisions and such. How stupid can people be?

Old 08-18-2008, 04:07 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,754,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
Why do so many honestly think that Wiki is a good source of information? I mean, look at the fact that they allow anyone to make revisions and such. How stupid can people be?
Scroll down a little more on the page, and youll see citations.

Old 08-18-2008, 04:14 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,750,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
Scroll down a little more on the page, and youll see citations.
Wikipedia is not allowed as a research tool in college.

Anyone using it would be laughed off of campus.

Old 08-18-2008, 05:20 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,754,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Wikipedia is not allowed as a research tool in college.

Anyone using it would be laughed off of campus.
It's becoming more accepted with certain professors.
Like I said, there are citations at the bottom. If youre going to cite wikipedia, you can always check if a source is listed.

Old 08-18-2008, 06:44 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
It's becoming more accepted with certain professors.
Not credible professors it isn't !

Old 08-18-2008, 09:59 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Maybe they could go to Mexico and have an uprising. Seems the people of Mexico are not willing to pay the price like other countries to overthrow corrupt regimes. Why don't they do what my ancestors did and fight (i.e., Revolutionary War).

Mexicans are taking the easy way out. They won't even fight for their own rights in the country where they were born, yet they come here and think we are supposed to hand over our country to them.

If they all manned up, maybe the rest of the world would come to their aid. Instead, they would rather sneak over the border and squat here.

I am supposed to have sympathy for that???? I wonder what Thomas Jefferson would advise them . . .

That's exactly right. Instead of working to improve their country, to make things better for all in Mexico, they simply wish to pack up and be given the USA which they insist must become Spanish speaking to suit them.

There are not Martin Luther Kings in Mexico, no Thomas Jeffersons, no George Washingtons. No one there will actually make a stand.

Interestingly -- while they will not protest or stand up for anything back in their own country, they are very quick to protest here in this country.

Old 08-19-2008, 04:35 AM

3,645 posts, read 4,926,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Not credible professors it isn't !
Yes, you are right. No credible professor would accept anything from any student that had info from Wiki.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration