Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 03:15 PM

146 posts, read 641,687 times

Advertisements

I am so impressed with most of the Asian Immigrants I meet here in the Pacific Northwest. Especially the ones from Korea, China and Japan. I have never seen such a sharp group of people. One thing that stands out is how neat and clean they are. I never see a overweight Asian immigrant, unlike so many Americans. Most are so polite also.

Have you ever seen a real trashy looking Asian Immigrant?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 03:36 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times
I have seen a number of "out-of shape" Asians, yes...sometimes an individual, sometimes an (apparent) nuclear family. Whether they were immigrants or not, of course, I have no idea. And yes, I'll agree that by-and-large, Asians as a group do seem to be in better shape than the 'norm', by a long shot.

But no, not all.

Old 08-22-2008, 03:46 PM

1,417 posts, read 1,157,467 times
Asians have been called the model minority. But it really only leads up to stereotypes like "Oh all asians are smart" and others. I can tell you from experience, if you've ever been to Oakland, CA, I see lots of Asian hoodlums.

Old 08-22-2008, 04:12 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,640,468 times
My friend who lives in Seoul told me that she is considered the equivelant of the Stay Puff MarshMellow Man, while in the US she is thought of as skinny. She is probably about a size 10/12......makes me very glad not to live in Korea

Old 08-22-2008, 06:27 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
LOL I have been to asia many times and have seen some over weight asians. Just no where near the percentage of over weight americans. When I go there I feel fat. I am 5'9.5" and weigh 170 pounds. I run and I am in good shape for a guy 45 yrsold. Bottom line is they eat much healthier than we do. Fish and chicken are primary meats. Beef and pork considered a treat eaten but once in a while.
Over weight asian immigrants? No I have never met one. My wife is an asian immigrant so I get to meet quite a few. They sort of search each other out.

Old 08-22-2008, 08:58 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Transplant View Post
I am so impressed with most of the Asian Immigrants I meet here in the Pacific Northwest. Especially the ones from Korea, China and Japan. I have never seen such a sharp group of people. One thing that stands out is how neat and clean they are. I never see a overweight Asian immigrant, unlike so many Americans. Most are so polite also.

Have you ever seen a real trashy looking Asian Immigrant?
What about that immigrant from China on the Canadian Greyhound bus that killed and started to eat someone?

Old 08-22-2008, 09:42 PM

638 posts, read 1,848,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Transplant View Post
. . unlike so many Americans.
Was your intent to make people growl?

Granted, I have never seen a more crisp looking individual getting off a 19hr flight than the Japanese.

However, to sterotype all Asians like you're doing, I can only think you need to see the world more, and definitely get off the beaten path. That's like saying there's no such thing as a fat French woman. I've been to France, and they have fat women too, sorry.

Asians have fat people too. Asians have slobs too.

Whether it's diet, lifestyle, or growth hormones in the foods, you can see the effect on some Asian nationalities in their children after immigrating here. Where the parents might be tiny (as we'd think) their children can outshadow them in height and weight. Not always true, but I have seen it. Strange.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:45 PM

1,417 posts, read 1,157,467 times
Every country has fat people and every country has skinny people. Every country has people of all types, colors, shapes, and sizes. Running off of stereotypes is never a good thing.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:50 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
sloppy a few, not often, but fat yes. of course i have known some chubby cooks that could make dishes beyond the sun and over the moon not to mention chinese martial arts, gosh looked like a fat boy, wrong on that too.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:51 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,754,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
Every country has fat people and every country has skinny people. Every country has people of all types, colors, shapes, and sizes. Running off of stereotypes is never a good thing.
I will say that peope in America our fatter because of our need for convenience, i.e. fast food, car culture. And as Mcdonalds and capitalism spreads across the world, other countries are seeing their waistline expand as well as their economies.

There was always the saying, "Eat all your food! Theres kids starving in China!" Now, they have an obesity problem as well. Who'da thunk it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration