Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 05:12 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luiso View Post
lol that's it Tilapia . Point is zoning law and price of land prohibit's fish farming- live stock ,etc neat town's .

In many cases near population's thus farmer's must go "far out" .

Tilapia is very good by the way. I buy a big box of fillets for $20 from place up N.Florida .

If he raised them near populated Florida it would cost much more and not good business for him.

That's the point it's just not realistic to expect certain business to be near populated area's .
Actually, I really like Tilapia, LOL.

I grew up in rural NC. We have dairy farms, hog farms and lots of meat packing plants. We also have a lot of meat packers who have encouraged illegals to move here and work for low wages. I am just totally against "using" illegal workers - they have no rights and are treated like slaves. I disapprove of the way employers take advantage of them. In addition, I think businesses who use illegal workers as a way to pay less wages should be shut down. It is just not right. If it means I have to pay more for my food or do without something . . . then that is just the way it is.

I feel very strongly that it is not only morally wrong to take advantage of people by paying them low wages and no benefits, overworking them long hours, no workman's comp, etc . . . I also think it is wrong for employers to be greedy. The flip side of that is - illegals are here illegally. They should not come here unless they can get a legal VISA or green card. They are making it easy for employers to break the law - and line their own pockets w/ profits off cheap labor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 05:22 PM

307 posts, read 522,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I feel very strongly that it is not only morally wrong to take advantage of people by paying them low wages and no benefits, overworking them long hours, no workman's comp, etc . . . I also think it is wrong for employers to be greedy. The flip side of that is - illegals are here illegally. They should not come here unless they can get a legal VISA or green card. They are making it easy for employers to break the law - and line their own pockets w/ profits off cheap labor.

Well said. The article itself is actually about how this plant, that was busted for hiring Illegals, is managing to do just fine by instead hiring LEGAL Immigrants, and how these Legal Immigrants are benefitting. Notice that this assists those who NEED our help AND are here legally. The article even mentions how the company had to work with the US Government to make sure they were not being taken advantage of. That's what someone who cares about people from third world countries should support!

Random

Last edited by RandomU; 08-27-2008 at 05:39 PM..

Old 08-27-2008, 05:22 PM

1,417 posts, read 1,157,127 times
You guys do realize Tilapia are fish that eat other fishes fecies? . I much prefer Wild Salmon.. had some yesterday

Old 08-27-2008, 05:34 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,409,544 times
Quote:
Actually, I really like Tilapia, LOL.

I grew up in rural NC. We have dairy farms, hog farms and lots of meat packing plants. We also have a lot of meat packers who have encouraged illegals to move here and work for low wages. I am just totally against "using" illegal workers - they have no rights and are treated like slaves. I disapprove of the way employers take advantage of them. In addition, I think businesses who use illegal workers as a way to pay less wages should be shut down. It is just not right. If it means I have to pay more for my food or do without something . . . then that is just the way it is.

ITA. For all of the same reasons. I have watched one business after another built by the sweat and hard labor of Americans defect from American rule of law and safety standards all in the name of greed. The FDA, the ports of security, everything and everyone that should be working as a safety net has allowed our safety, trust, way of life and values fall by the wayside.

The myth about our prices skyrocketing without illegal alien workers, is just that. Despite pocketing billions of dollars in profits while driving down the wages of Americans and legal residents, the price of everything has risen drastically.

Old 08-27-2008, 05:53 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,562,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
ITA. For all of the same reasons. I have watched one business after another built by the sweat and hard labor of Americans defect from American rule of law and safety standards all in the name of greed. The FDA, the ports of security, everything and everyone that should be working as a safety net has allowed our safety, trust, way of life and values fall by the wayside.

The myth about our prices skyrocketing without illegal alien workers, is just that. Despite pocketing billions of dollars in profits while driving down the wages of Americans and legal residents, the price of everything has risen drastically.
Amen to that! The price of EVERYTHING continues to skyrocket for the consumer, while the greedy employers amass unprecedented fortunes due to illegal immigration. Green peppers are now almost $3/lb in my area. Milk is close to $5.

Have you noticed the continuous reduction in the price of a hotel room due to illegals dominating that industry? Neither have I. What about the drastic reduction in the IA dominated housing industry? Nope. What about landscaping and gardening costs? Illegals dominate that industry as well. Nope, I guess not. Can anyone think of one price that has substantially declined due to millions of cheap illegal workers in this country?

Old 08-27-2008, 06:18 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,409,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Amen to that! The price of EVERYTHING continues to skyrocket for the consumer, while the greedy employers amass unprecedented fortunes due to illegal immigration. Green peppers are now almost $3/lb in my area. Milk is close to $5.

Have you noticed the continuous reduction in the price of a hotel room due to illegals dominating that industry? Neither have I. What about the drastic reduction in the IA dominated housing industry? Nope. What about landscaping and gardening costs? Illegals dominate that industry as well. Nope, I guess not. Can anyone think of one price that has substantially declined due to millions of cheap illegal workers in this country?
Frankly and honestly, I can't think of a single thing as I listen to the fan girls and boy idiots in the background at the democratic convention cheering on the OBL known as Obama and America on the path to our demise.

Old 08-27-2008, 06:23 PM

3,326 posts, read 5,340,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
You guys do realize Tilapia are fish that eat other fishes fecies? . I much prefer Wild Salmon.. had some yesterday

When you live in a city with some of the most corrupt politician's in North America eating fish that eat feces doesn't seem to bad lol.

The one's raised for consumption eat grass cuttings and soy bean ,cattle and chicken pellet (imagine made from parts we don't eat)

That's fine with me as don't have problem with that . We have them here in the lakes . I eat a lot of Fish ESP Tilapia and if they are fed fish feces so be it no problem still taste great .

Last edited by Luiso; 08-27-2008 at 06:34 PM..

Old 08-27-2008, 06:32 PM

[quote=RandomU;5021630]Try READING the Article. It says

“This story occurred because Swift like other meat processors located large plants in rural towns to lower wage scales – and to draw in immigrant labor, legal or illegal.”

It does not say Taxes or Zoning were the reason!

Tyson MEAT PROCESSING with over 2,000 employees is IN Amarillo. They pay taxes and somehow they are able to supply lots of meat at a reasonable price. That shows what you are claiming is incorrect.
------------

However that was not my "debate" with anifani821 .
My point was that some places could not afford to be near city limit's or area's of high population's as taxes simply to high and many don't allow farming-live stock,etc.

My "debate" was not about hiring illegals or not hiring them. It was about location .

Tyson is not a farm with live stock or large tracks of land out in the middle of nowhere growing orange's ,etc.

Thus once again my point is many places simply have no choice but to be out in "middle of nowhere" and not to many workers available nor willing to drive that far .

Old 08-27-2008, 07:17 PM

307 posts, read 522,042 times
Quote:
However that was not my "debate" with anifani821 .
My point was that some places could not afford to be near city limit's or area's of high population's as taxes simply to high and many don't allow farming-live stock,etc.

My "debate" was not about hiring illegals or not hiring them. It was about location .
Sorry. I didn't know you were lost. This is the Immigration forum and it IS the forum for debating the hiring illegals or not hiring of Illegal Immigrants.

For ZONING laws I think you want the Real Estate Forum. You'll find it off the top menu.

Here is the original message Ani Responded to. Notice it is about a specific company that chose to locate themselves in the middle of nowhere in order to be able to take advantage of Illegal Aliens. Notice s/he is talking about ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION.

Quote:
Originally Posted by message board View Post
Here is an interesting article about the challenges companies face trying to replace illegal workers with Americans:

workingimmigrants.com: Burmese workers replace illegal meat processing workers
Here is Ani’s Post in response. Notice she is referring to that MEAT PROCESSING PLANT IN TEXAS!!! Notice she is talking about ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION.

Quote:
Any business that cannot survive using American workers has an obviously skewered business model and operations plan.

If you locate your business out in the middle of BFE, then how can you expect to hire local workers? Texas is a big state. Meat processors could choose to set up their operations in more highly populated areas. They chose to do business close to the border expressly so they COULD recruit illegal workers.

I have no sympathy at all. Re-locate the business or shut it down.

You then responded to her post dealing with ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION about how that plant could not relocate.

Quote:
---------------

Some businesses due to zoning laws like live stock-farming.etc have to be "out of the way" and nothing in the area but open land.

You can not re-locate some if not many of them.

My post dealt specifically with THAT one plant and ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION. Yet you tried to portray THAT plant as being unable to relocate for reasons that did not apply.

If you truly were not referring to that plant and just too SOME business's in the US then I assume you can acknowledge what I said and you can admit that the owners of the plant located where they did in order to hire Illegals, and not for the reasons of "Zoning Laws"?

I likewise will acknowledge that some business’s, though not this one, choose their location based on zoning laws

Random

Last edited by RandomU; 08-27-2008 at 07:37 PM..

Old 08-27-2008, 07:23 PM

[quote=RandomU;5023201]
Quote:

Here is the original message Ani Responded to. Notice it is about a specific company that chose to locate themselves in the middle of nowhere in order to be able to take advantage of Illegal Aliens.

Here is Ani’s Post in response. Notice she is referring to that MEAT PROCESSING PLANT IN TEXAS!!!

You then responded to her post about how that plant could not relocate.

My post dealt specifically with THAT one plant. Yet you tried to portray THAT plant as being unable to relocate for reasons that did not apply.

If you truly were not referring to that plant and just to SOME business's in the US (though why that would belong in this thread is bit strange to me) then I assume you can acknowledge what I said and you can admit that the owners of the plant located where they did in order to hire Illegals, and not for the reasons of "Zoning Laws"?

Random

Your correct I should have stayed with the particular plant she mentioned . I see your point
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration