Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 01:50 AM

105 posts, read 208,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
Doesn't one need to speak English to be a citizen?
Not at all, surprising as it may seem.. I've come in and out of the country from different points in Asia a number of times, and was always surprised at the number of people in the US citizen entry line, holding passports, and unable to comprehend any English.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 01:57 AM

105 posts, read 208,874 times
Quote:
The now mayor of Nashua campaigned using flyers in Spanish-fact.
There are more Hispanic people now living there--that's true, but I grew up in Nashua, and there's been a pretty big (well, for NH) Hispanic community there for quite a while.

Since there's no legal requirement for citizens to speak English, there are lots of legal, Spanish-speaking voters, so---flyers in Spanish.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:35 AM

15,154 posts, read 11,620,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatt View Post
There are more Hispanic people now living there--that's true, but I grew up in Nashua, and there's been a pretty big (well, for NH) Hispanic community there for quite a while.

Since there's no legal requirement for citizens to speak English, there are lots of legal, Spanish-speaking voters, so---flyers in Spanish.
Yep---make sure you print eveything in Spanish, that way they have no incentive to learn English. Lets keep that language barrier in place because it makes things so much more difficult.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:47 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,326,380 times
Quote:
Not at all, surprising as it may seem.. I've come in and out of the country from different points in Asia a number of times, and was always surprised at the number of people in the US citizen entry line, holding passports, and unable to comprehend any English.
Well if we are in fact granting citizenship to people who do not know how to speak English then I think that is just awful. The very least that someone who becomes a citizen can do is at least learn English.

Does anyone have hard proof on this? Does one need to speak English to become a citizen? If one no longer needs to do so-when did it change?

Old 09-01-2008, 09:47 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,215,838 times
Why do you think the democrats are so against making english the official language? Who does the hispanic vote normally support? Why do you think democrats are against requiring positive ID of all voters? Makes it much more difficult to keep an election honest when ID is not required.
Not to mention all the pork money wrapped around providing translators and such.
I just visit Thailand. I will never be a citizen but I learned to speak Thai out of respect for my wife and her people for when I visit. One would think if someone wanted to be a citizen they would make an effort to learn the host nations language.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:48 AM

3,923 posts, read 3,645,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flburgos View Post
Next time you see a spanish persom just flip a coin nicolem to guess there status.I take that back ask them they might speak english.I'm spanish you know.
Well, the coin toss wouldn't work where I am from because 95% of the Spanish population here are illegals! I am so sorry that the "legal" Spanish community are going through a rough patch right now because of the crackdown on your illegal relatives, but maybe you should be mad at them, and not the country and its laws that you all saw fit to move into. Where is the anti illegal sentiment from the legal immigrant crowd who did go through the hassle of becoming legal. Why aren't you on their butts telling them they are wrong, and that they should approach this situation in the right way instead of defending their lawlessness. You seem so self righteous in your assumption that just because many assume most Spanish people they meet are illegals, they are some how racist. The problem is by most accounts the illegal Spanish population far surpasses the legal, thus the general belief that most are illegals. Of course I am sure you aren't going to let a little thing like common sense get in the way of your argument. But it is something to think about just the same. Many of your people have invaded this country, and citizens of said country generally always wish to expel the invaders. Instead of attacking the country you now live in, why don't you defend its right to sovereign rule and its right to establish laws for its people to follow. And its right to expel illegal aliens who choose to break the law and come here without documentation or going through the proper channels. They are breaking the law in a country that you now call your own. So take up for that country, instead of your illegal compatriots.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:52 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,326,380 times
Quote:

Well again-if in fact one does not need to learn English to be granted citizenship-that is outrageous. Then after being granted citizenship-they still refuse to learn it? Again-outrageous. I could care less if there is a legal requirement or not to learn English. All we ever hear from people on this board is that illegal aliens and legal immigrants do assimilate. Well if they have lived here long enough to be granted citizenship and are voting in a language other than English -they are not assimilating.

I have no doubt that those flyers in Spanish targeted illegal aliens as well as others who speak Spanish. There have been numerous cases of illegal aliens and dead people voting around the country. Plus in NH you do not need to show id to vote so there is not teling who is voitng.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:55 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,557,981 times
Quote:
Well if we are in fact granting citizenship to people who do not know how to speak English then I think that is just awful. The very least that someone who becomes a citizen can do is at least learn English.

Does anyone have hard proof on this? Does one need to speak English to become a citizen? If one no longer needs to do so-when did it change?
Quote:
Language

Applicants for naturalization must be able to read, write, speak, and understand words in ordinary usage in the English language. Applicants exempt from this requirement are those who on the date of filing:

have been residing in the United States subsequent to a lawful admission for permanent residence for periods totaling 15 years or more and are over 55 years of age;

have been residing in the United States subsequent to a lawful admission for permanent residence for periods totaling 20 years or more and are over 50 years of age; or

have a medically determinable physical or mental impairment, where the impairment affects the applicant’s ability to learn English.
General Naturalization Requirements

Old 09-01-2008, 09:58 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,215,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Well that pretty much sums it up doesn't it.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:58 AM

3,923 posts, read 3,645,538 times
Quote:
[/b]

Well again-if in fact one does not need to learn English to be granted citizenship-that is outrageous. Then after being granted citizenship-they still refuse to learn it? Again-outrageous. I could care less if there is a legal requirement or not to learn English. All we ever hear from people on this board is that illegal aliens and legal immigrants do assimilate. Well if they have lived here long enough to be granted citizenship and are voting in a language other than English -they are not assimilating.

I have no doubt that those flyers in Spanish targeted illegal aliens as well as others who speak Spanish. There have been numerous cases of illegal aliens and dead people voting around the country. Plus in NH you do not need to show id to vote so there is not teling who is voitng.
I recently went and looked for citizenship requirements and found some rather vague information. But one thing I did find was that immigrants are still supposed to take and pass a course on basic English. So to me the fact that we have legals who don't speak English proves that the agenda to allow the invasion of our country is being orchestrated from the highest levels. They are apparently letting these people become legal without passing all the supposed requirements. This is outrageous and a giant slap in the face to all the people who have come here over the last 300 years and had to do things the right way. And if our government is responsible for this invasion of not only illegals, but legals who haven't truly passed the requirements for citizenship, they should be prosecuted for treason.

Well, looks like this was for nothing, someone already posted said requirements. Screw it, I'm posting anyway!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration