Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 04:50 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,409,544 times

Advertisements

Jose Herrera said he came to the United States when he was 7 years old. Arrested in an Immigration raid recently and detained for three months at the Cook County Jail, Herrera now has a court case pending in which he's trying to gain permit residency.

"I have a 7-year old child to support," the 25-year-old said. "These raids don't do any good. They just separate families."

Herrera joined over 100 people who marched and held a candlelight vigil in the western suburbs Wednesday night in an effort to halt raids, address inhuman conditions at Immigration detention centers and urge support to enact a new state law that would give religious clergy access to detainees in county jails.

Spearheaded by the Illinois Coalition for Immigrant and Refugee Rights, the protesters marched several miles from Our Lady of Mt. Carmel Church in Melrose Park to a detention center in Broadview near Lexington and Beach Streets, where they held a candlelight vigil.

Many in the march held signs that read "Stop the Raids" and others shouted phrases such as "No Deportations" in Spanish. Some included families with relatives who are currently or have been deported or held in detention centers.

"Every Friday morning, religious leaders stand outside the Broadview detention center and pray," said Sister Joann Persch, a member of the Sisters and Brothers of Immigrants with the Archdiocese of Chicago. "As religious leaders, we felt it made sense to go into those centers and to pray with detainees."

The proposed legislation would allow Persch and other bona fide clergy access to jails throughout the state. Persch believes those in immigrant detention centers should have the same religious rights as others serving time for criminal offenses.

"We are living in a period of aggressive Immigration enforcement," said Diego Bonesatti, an official with Mt. Carmel Church. "Detention is one of the key elements of enforcement. But detention, unfortunately, deprives some immigrants of their rights and it [detention] has an effect on a person's morality."

Bonesatti said detainees don't have much choice but to be deported. "A typical bond amount to get out of detention is between $5,000 and $8,000," he said. "For an increasingly impoverished community, this is a difficult burden to overcome. Most detainees just sign their deportation orders."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-immigration-rally-both-26sep26,0,211973,print.story

Jose has been here illegally for 18 years WTH is he waiting for another amnesty? Get out Jose and take your anchor with you. We certainly don't want to break up your familia or stop you from going home...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 05:30 PM

608 posts, read 923,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
Jose Herrera said he came to the United States when he was 7 years old. Arrested in an Immigration raid recently and detained for three months at the Cook County Jail, Herrera now has a court case pending in which he's trying to gain permit residency.

"I have a 7-year old child to support," the 25-year-old said. "These raids don't do any good. They just separate families."

Herrera joined over 100 people who marched and held a candlelight vigil in the western suburbs Wednesday night in an effort to halt raids, address inhuman conditions at Immigration detention centers and urge support to enact a new state law that would give religious clergy access to detainees in county jails.

Spearheaded by the Illinois Coalition for Immigrant and Refugee Rights, the protesters marched several miles from Our Lady of Mt. Carmel Church in Melrose Park to a detention center in Broadview near Lexington and Beach Streets, where they held a candlelight vigil.

Many in the march held signs that read "Stop the Raids" and others shouted phrases such as "No Deportations" in Spanish. Some included families with relatives who are currently or have been deported or held in detention centers.

"Every Friday morning, religious leaders stand outside the Broadview detention center and pray," said Sister Joann Persch, a member of the Sisters and Brothers of Immigrants with the Archdiocese of Chicago. "As religious leaders, we felt it made sense to go into those centers and to pray with detainees."

The proposed legislation would allow Persch and other bona fide clergy access to jails throughout the state. Persch believes those in immigrant detention centers should have the same religious rights as others serving time for criminal offenses.

"We are living in a period of aggressive Immigration enforcement," said Diego Bonesatti, an official with Mt. Carmel Church. "Detention is one of the key elements of enforcement. But detention, unfortunately, deprives some immigrants of their rights and it [detention] has an effect on a person's morality."

Bonesatti said detainees don't have much choice but to be deported. "A typical bond amount to get out of detention is between $5,000 and $8,000," he said. "For an increasingly impoverished community, this is a difficult burden to overcome. Most detainees just sign their deportation orders."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-immigration-rally-both-26sep26,0,211973,print.story

Jose has been here illegally for 18 years WTH is he waiting for another amnesty? Get out Jose and take your anchor with you. We certainly don't want to break up your familia or stop you from going home...
The US can barely afford to feed and house OUR prison population as it is. Why should the US taxpayer have to bear the burden of holding these captured criminals? The illegals knew of the risks when they came here. If they get caught too bad! Send them south and ask questions later.

Old 09-25-2008, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfishing View Post
The US can barely afford to feed and house OUR prison population as it is. Why should the US taxpayer have to bear the burden of holding these captured criminals? The illegals knew of the risks when they came here. If they get caught too bad! Send them south and ask questions later.

Agreed. When caught, they should fingerprint them (for the record, in case they come back) give them the option of taking their families with them so that they can't whine about separation and thereafter deport the entire family. It's time to get rid of all burdens that are not ours.

Old 09-25-2008, 06:07 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
Quote:
I have but one comment, JDubsMom . . . Boo Hoo!

As for your buddy Jose . . . a simple way to avoid deportation is to GO HOME!

! ! ! !

Old 09-25-2008, 06:18 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Do us all a favor and leave the USA------------post haste, you criminal loser.

Old 09-25-2008, 06:24 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,562,484 times
Did someone call the waaaaambulance? http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk141/Max2100/wambulance.gif (broken link)

Old 09-25-2008, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Did someone call the waaaaambulance?
Each day that our financial crisis worsens, the less patient and more angry Americans are becoming. Illegal aliens will get a taste of what the civil rights movement they are trying to hijack was really like.

If anyone thought the riots of the 60's were bad, they ain't seen nothing yet.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:10 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Each day that our financial crisis worsens, the less patient and more angry Americans are becoming. Illegal aliens will get a taste of what the civil rights movement they are trying to hijack was really like.

If anyone thought the riots of the 60's were bad, they ain't seen nothing yet.
JDubs: I can understand your anger; I just hope to God it does not become that ugly.

If nothing else: innocent people who look 'Mexican' may be in grave danger------------Benicar's own son (light skinned bi-racial Black/[Hispanic]White) along with Anonymous Political Junky (Mestizo) and many others.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:31 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times
I have two feelings from reading that article.

The first is....I do feel for the guy. He was brought here as a child, and in a very real sense he is a man without a country. And that sucks. But ultimately the onus goes to his parents for knowingly breaking the law, and knowingly dragging their kid into it.

My second reaction was to this line;

"Detention is one of the key elements of enforcement. But detention, unfortunately, deprives some immigrants of their rights and it [detention] has an effect on a person's morality."

Illegal immigrants do not have rights. I think this in a nutshell is what this battle boils down to. Pro illegal immigration supporters somehow have it confused that once a person steps on US soil they are automatically confered all the rights of US citizenship. The fact is no -- living here does not make a person a citizen, and as non citizens they do not have the right to live where they please. They do not have the right to live here at all. Only when this seemingly very basic error is cleared up will pro illegals understand the fallacy of their position.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
JDubs: I can understand your anger; I just hope to God it does not become that ugly.

If nothing else: innocent people who look 'Mexican' may be in grave danger------------Benicar's own son (light skinned bi-racial Black/[Hispanic]White) along with Anonymous Political Junky (Mestizo) and many others.
I'm not advocating it or condoning it, but I am not discounting it either.

I was a small child during the civil rights movement but make no mistake about it, I clearly remember the horror. The tension that is building in this country today is reminiscent of that time. I pray to God that it doesn't get that bad either. However, I won't be surprised if it does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration