Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 07:19 AM

3,645 posts, read 4,930,616 times

Advertisements

Attorneys say truck owner has right to display message (ACLU takes the case

Attorneys say truck owner has right to display message | Wilkes-Barre News | The Times Leader

Sign by Hughestown man that contains expletive might be judged obscene, but lawyers contend it’s free speech.

A Hughestown man has the right to express his opinion in any way he seems fit, including the use of a word many deem obscene, two attorneys said.

Joseph Decker, 39, of Parsonage Street, was charged by Hughestown police with disorderly conduct over a sign he placed in the rear window of his Dodge Ram pickup truck.

Decker said he placed the sign that says, “If you’re in America and can’t speak English, get the (expletive) out” after he called his bank and had trouble understanding the call taker a few months ago.

“You get these people when you call these call centers and they don’t speak English,” Decker said.

http://i456.photobucket.com/albums/qq290/anonymous_political_junky/LUZ_TRUCK_11-PKG_12-04-2008_539B6VL.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 07:45 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,649,462 times
Well, why not? After all...if it is fine for some to have a decal of calvin pissing on the words 'la migra' on their truck window it should be fine for others to have their views on the back of their trucks that are just as explicit.

Old 12-04-2008, 10:04 AM

3,502 posts, read 9,612,147 times
The problem is that the call center Decker is complaining about might not even be in the United States. He may be calling a call center located in India...

Many companies out source to India...

Old 12-04-2008, 11:35 AM

1,636 posts, read 3,288,490 times
I don't understand these people who are so unhappy and bitter about their lives, and are so anxious to find a way to announce it.

I get irritated when I can't understand when I'm calling about my credit cards, and the customer service rep has a thick Indian accent that is very hard to understand when listening to important information, but it's just one of many annoyances of everyday life. Like not being able to find parking in the front, being put on hold for 30 minutes when making an important call, etc. Oh well.

The guy needs to just not make a scene about it, and blur out the last 3 letters of the word for the sake of children and their parents, out of respect. He's just being belligerent about it, and acting like a brat.

Is it even necessary to include that word if he knows it's going to offend people? It would have been just as effective if he left it out.
I guess its the only word that will show his agony, and pain accurately.

Old 12-04-2008, 11:44 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,446,368 times
I had the same thing on my truck in SoCal, the law never bothered me about it.
I even made bumper sticker and gave them to some Highway Patrol officers.

Old 12-04-2008, 12:52 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,612,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
I had the same thing on my truck in SoCal, the law never bothered me about it.
I even made bumper sticker and gave them to some Highway Patrol officers.
And I'm sure they went to file 13

Old 12-04-2008, 01:38 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,673,593 times
this guy is misguided.

and i would hate to have my kids(sounding out the letters as most kids do) read that language.

he might not realize that these people(tele-receptonists) might not even be in the US. if his problem is that he could not understand the people on the other end of the phone then he should complain to the company he is dealing with.

but it becomes very easy to compound these issues of language when they in fact are a lot more complicated than this.

in the end, thats just an obscene message. i would not want any language like that within sight of children. he can voice his displeasure, but he should be able to use appropriate words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
Attorneys say truck owner has right to display message (ACLU takes the case

Attorneys say truck owner has right to display message | Wilkes-Barre News | The Times Leader

Sign by Hughestown man that contains expletive might be judged obscene, but lawyers contend it’s free speech.

A Hughestown man has the right to express his opinion in any way he seems fit, including the use of a word many deem obscene, two attorneys said.

Joseph Decker, 39, of Parsonage Street, was charged by Hughestown police with disorderly conduct over a sign he placed in the rear window of his Dodge Ram pickup truck.

Decker said he placed the sign that says, “If you’re in America and can’t speak English, get the (expletive) out” after he called his bank and had trouble understanding the call taker a few months ago.

“You get these people when you call these call centers and they don’t speak English,” Decker said.

Old 12-04-2008, 03:36 PM

I think that the people who love the illegals and want amnesty are misguided.

Last edited by Anonymous Political Junky; 12-04-2008 at 03:53 PM..

Old 12-04-2008, 03:52 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,446,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
I think that the people who love the illegals and want amnesty are misquided.
Agreed.

Old 12-04-2008, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
Agreed.
Thank you. I find it funny that people think that people who want English spoken in the country are misguided. It seems that the kool-aid has gotten into their bloodstream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration