Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 02:49 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Parents are pulling students out of school. Construction workers are abandoning their jobs. Families are hastily moving out of apartments.

Two months after Arizona enacted a law punishing employers who hire illegal immigrants, the law is already achieving one of its goals: Scores of immigrants are fleeing to other states or back to their Latin American homelands.
Arizona Republic article (broken link)

Yeppers: it is fast becoming Armageddon for the illegal immigrants here in Arizona
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 03:00 PM

407 posts, read 800,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Arizona Republic article (broken link)

Yeppers: it is fast becoming Armageddon for the illegal immigrants here in Arizona
Good for all of you in AZ. Very proud of all of you having the guts to do what is needed to be done.

Old 02-29-2008, 03:07 PM

206 posts, read 410,634 times
I'm glad for AZ. I just hope they're not moving to CA.

Old 02-29-2008, 03:14 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,926,044 times
Good for Arizona, bad for the surrounding states. If only they'd all follow Az's lead.

Old 02-29-2008, 03:50 PM

9,600 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
A single word response to this, ArizonaBear . . . DUH!

Old 02-29-2008, 03:53 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,319,675 times
As I've said before, I'm not a big fan of all the Mexico bashing that goes on on this board, but I do agree with the new Arizona law - and think that it is the proper approach to take. It does NO good going after illegal immigrants when the American-owned companies just continue to rehire new ones when the old ones are caught and shipped home. The whole process just becomes an expensive revolving door. To me, the real cuprits are the American-owned companies that knowingly hire illegal aliens. In truth I can't really blame the Mexicans who come here simply looking for a better life, as many of them are terribly poor back home - but the American owners of these companies are NOT poor and can hire workers at the prevailing wage but instead are knowlingly fueling the problem by encouraging people to come here illegally so they themselves (the owners) can save a few bucks. With the passing of the Arizona law there is finally a sensible approach which will (I think) probably work.

Still not sure what sort of impact it will have on the Arizona economy - and unfortunately we'll probably never be able to tell, since other factors (ie the bursting of the housing bubble, and the generally slowing of the economy) is going to muddy the waters.

Overall though I think it is the best approach and does not end up making the US immigration Service look like a bunch of NAZI goons busting in all over the state, rounding up families (complete with their screaming children) and shipping them out of the country like they were Jews in prewar Germany. If the jobs for them are not in Arizona, they just probably won't show up there that much anymore. It's a simple, non-violent solution to the issue.

Ken

Old 02-29-2008, 04:20 PM

1,281 posts, read 2,366,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
As I've said before, I'm not a big fan of all the Mexico bashing that goes on on this board, but I do agree with the new Arizona law - and think that it is the proper approach to take. It does NO good going after illegal immigrants when the American-owned companies just continue to rehire new ones when the old ones are caught and shipped home. The whole process just becomes an expensive revolving door.
As I’ve said in a prior post, the immigration issue is going to be solved, or at least worked on to a manageable level, at the state level and not relied on the feds to accomplish it.

Sure feds do a couple of sweeps and hundreds can be deported at taxpayer expense, but that’s like using a garden hose to fight a forest fire. Plus, do you really want to trust the people who are focusing on steroids in baseball and officially designating a “National Quilt Museum of the United States”. Look up House resolution 209 on that last one.

Nope, you want to solve immigration problems, it’s done locally at the state level or lower, and not by bigoted and ignorant statements generalizing people.

Old 02-29-2008, 04:39 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,507,975 times
It works! I just heard last evening that Kansas is considering actions too. Apparently they've recieved an influx of illegals that fled from surrounding states like Missouri, Oklahoma and Nebraska which have been cracking down. The vice grip is tightening.....

Old 02-29-2008, 05:07 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madicarus2000 View Post
As I’ve said in a prior post, the immigration issue is going to be solved, or at least worked on to a manageable level, at the state level and not relied on the feds to accomplish it.

Sure feds do a couple of sweeps and hundreds can be deported at taxpayer expense, but that’s like using a garden hose to fight a forest fire. Plus, do you really want to trust the people who are focusing on steroids in baseball and officially designating a “National Quilt Museum of the United States”. Look up House resolution 209 on that last one.

Nope, you want to solve immigration problems, it’s done locally at the state level or lower, and not by bigoted and ignorant statements generalizing people.
Guess what: I am extremely prejudiced against employers who knowingly hire illegal immigrants over US citizens/green card holders.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,817 times
DOH! I live in Utah. Here, the "legal" children of illegal Mexican immigrants combined with the illegals appear to outnumber the legal residents by about two to one. I wish we had a law like Arizona. Unfortunately the damage has already been done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration