Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 09:29 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,145,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McClane View Post
JFK was the first Irish Catholic to become president of the United States, but he was not the first Irish man to become president of the United States. That honor would go to Andrew Jackson.
Irish American - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That is something most public schools will not teach you.
Jackson was of Scots-Irish heritage............different breed of cat compared to the 'Celtic' AKA Irish Catholics.

Hell: my probable maternal grandfather was of Scots-Irish lineage judging by his surname.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 10:53 PM

85 posts, read 137,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post

This pictured above is located in one of California's nicest regions. It's surrounded by other very very livable suburbs. The schools in this region are top notch. The crime is low and the streets clean.

However, in Diamond Bar, CA...the signs are in Chinese, Korean, and Japanese. Multiculturalism is not the end of the world. The immigrants here retain their culture, but acknowledge that they are in America.

What's wrong with places like Diamond Bar, CA?
Or Atherton, Hillsborough, Sausalito, Belvedere, Beverly Hills, Holmy Hills, Santa Barbara, Pacific Palisades, and Bel Air -- all exclusive enclaves.

Answer: Illegal aliens have not desecrated those places... yet.

IT's a well known fact that illegal aliens bring with them crime, poverty, illiteracy... you know, all those things that ARE NOT FOUND in the aforementioned California cities.

Have you noticed the wealthy and educated Mexicans stay in Mexico? They don't want the crime, illiteracy or squalor, either.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:55 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
K12 is outright dangerous. voucher sooner the better.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:04 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,561,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarissaM View Post
Have you noticed the wealthy and educated Mexicans stay in Mexico? They don't want the crime, illiteracy or squalor, either.
Actually, I've known a FEW individual illegals working at menial jobs (landscaping, etc) who had college degrees, but for various reasons couldn't 'make it' in Mexico. Not many of these folks, but they do exist. Also I've see PLENTY of wealthy, well-dressed Mexicans vacationing in Las Vegas, but again, they aren't here illegally.

One of the 'perks' of life for the wealthy classes of Mexico is that, traditionally, the poor, the frustrated, and those living on the 'margins' of society can be induced to LEAVE, and go elsewhere, before their anger erupts into serious societal discord. And when they LEAVE, where do you suppose they GO? You guessed it. It makes life just a tiny bit more comfortable for the rich, who don't have to deal with those who leave.

As far as your suggestion that these 'rich' Mexicans don't want to deal with the 'crime, illiteracy, and squalor'? Well, yes, that's true, I suppose. It's always been a traditional Latin American fact of life that the wealthy separate themselves from the 'angry poor'. Interestingly, as we here in the 'states' become ever increasingly 'multicultural', we're picking up THAT delightful habit, as well. For many years, I worked in the Public Water field here in Southern Cal. Recently, I realized that I carried with me a list of no less than EIGHTEEN 'cheat codes', for use in my small area.(about 10 miles square). These 'codes' enabled me to enter certain neighborhoods for reservoir checks, water testing, etc. These neighborhoods were entered through a locked gate, some of them with a 'card entry', others with actual human sentries present. WHY do you suppose these wealthy residents decided to 'sequester' themselves like this? I don't know, but I don't THINK it's to avoid Girl Scout Cookie sellers.

Ah, the wonders of a multicultural society. It may be annoying to have to carry a list of 'codes' to drive around different neighborhoods....but at LEAST it's 'colorful'....right?

Old 07-21-2009, 02:57 PM

73 posts, read 164,800 times
Default I've seen the ramifications of these thoughts.

Even in Wal-Mart's here; we now have store announcements in Spanish. It is very irritating, because as much as anyone else that is not of Native American descent (and they even immigrated here!); my ancestors immigrated here legally and learned the dominant language. Just as I would have to if I moved to say, Japan. But, thus is the way of American society and corporate culture; we will cater to a group of individuals to make ourselves a dime while our country loses a dollar. How patriotic.

However, I find the notion of halting all immigration to America very offensive and impractical. Legal immigration is our heritage, it is who we are. Why should we isolate ourselves from the world and deny people who would integrate their time, effort, and skills into our culture and economy. Why would we be so arrogant to turn away lets say, excellent engineers from South Asia that want to live here? Just proves my suspicions that fifty years from now we will be a over-regulated police state.

For a point of reference, my wife is from Thailand and we have gone through the long, difficult process of her legal immigration to the country. Sadly enough, there is now a very negative stigma attached legal immigration as well. That and the poor economic situation has made it extremely difficult for her to find a job, despite her having a BA in engineering and an MBA from an American university. Her brother has invested much time and money into a business he has started here (good for everyone in America). It breaks our hearts when we hear of illegal immigrants getting preferential treatment; we can't help but think... where has the American dream gone? People that come here legally and invest money here are beginning to be treated like criminals by society, while illegal immigrants receive special treatment from city, state, and federal governments.

I think all of us in the world have forgotten that it is about quality of life, not quantity. Personally, I feel the root issue of all these problems is overpopulation (with many other sub factors); oh, but regulating that would be taboo and offensive too! Personal responsibility... what to do when everyone points their finger at someone else?

Ultimately, I'm as much a part of the problem as anyone else here is.

Old 07-21-2009, 03:16 PM

MitchMZ:

Most of us anti's have no problem with limited legal immigration whatsoever.

As for population growth; more and more nations are at ZPG and some like Hispanic Spain, Italy, Japan, Iran, etc. are at below replacement level now. 2.1 children per woman is replacement level.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:56 PM

73 posts, read 164,800 times
That is refreshing. That would be so anti-American in my view! I cannot even begin to express my feelings towards some of those thoughts I've come across in more rural areas of the US.

I find it interesting that in some societies there is zero population growth; I see that as a good thing for the time being. There are some theories that the much larger issue at hand is how long people are living rather than how many people there are on the planet; which is a legitimate concern in the context of the sustainability of the human population. I tend to take a slightly eclectic view of problems facing the world's population, though.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:40 AM

31 posts, read 46,365 times
Quote:
As for population growth; more and more nations are at ZPG and some like Hispanic Spain, Italy, Japan, Iran, etc. are at below replacement level now. 2.1 children per woman is replacement level.
Too bad the same can not be said for Mexico. There would be alot less illegal immigrants from Mexico living in the U.S if our "neighbors" from south of the border had an ageing population that are having very few children.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Face Nelson View Post
Too bad the same can not be said for Mexico. There would be alot less illegal immigrants from Mexico living in the U.S if our "neighbors" from south of the border had an ageing population that are having very few children.
Actually; in all fairness, Mexico's birthrate is now 2.34 children per woman--------down from 7.3 back in 1962.

Old 07-24-2009, 01:40 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,179,265 times
I don't think people necessarily object to learning a foreign language. I think what galls them is being forced to learn Spanish simply because we have millions of Spanish speaking people in this country, many illegally, who either can't, or won't, learn to speak English. Maybe some people would prefer to learn to speak Japanese, or French, but are forced to learn Spanish in order to get a job, or keep a job. Why shouldn't the immigrants learn English instead? They wantd to come here, so the burden of learning a new language should be on them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration