Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 06:18 AM

786 posts, read 4,735,342 times

Advertisements

I prefer to call the Illegal Hispanic residents Latino, it sounds sexy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2007, 01:54 AM

15 posts, read 74,245 times
Default I'll answer the question!

I will answer your question!! I just had an interview in Brentwood a few days ago and ran across your post at that time while I was in the area looking at places to live and getting an idea about the cost of living there. I didn't think much about your post but while I was driving around I understand exactly what you are talking about...And the reason you asked this question is the same reason that the hispanic population creates its own communities! Because you want to be around people similar to you. Racist? maybe. Common? Very. Anyway, Stay FAR AWAY from Antioch! The new housing developments and affordable new housing may be enticing but it is exactly the area you speak of in your question. Oh my, the entire area was run down...soccer fields with goals turned sideways, lawns uncared for, brand new houses that haven't been kept up, etc. I'm NOT saying that this is because of race, this is just a description of what the area looked like. In speaking with a local police officer, it seems that area has a lot of gang activity-maybe that's the reason for what I saw. I will tell you that all of the signs to restaurants etc were in spanish and we even passed a law office for immigration defense. The preschools had signs that either said "american school" or something in spanish. The main road that runs through Antioch is named "Una Antioch". Nuff said. At first I thought the question was racist but when we drove through a few spanish communities I felt like I was in Mexico again, not at home. I'm sure that the hispanic population feels the same way in most of the country. I know I wouldn't want to drive by signs written in a language foreign to me. Anyway, I'm not here to debate immigration, just answer your question. Moving on...Stay away also from anywhere near Murfreesboro Pk. *Not* the town itself, this is a road that goes through antioch and runs through downtown Nashville. I also was drawn to it because of more affordable housing. Figures. It is the GHETTO. Many Many Many public housing projects. Get this (and I didn't know this was possible) we drove by the projects with our windows up and we could smell alcohol the entire time we were driving by! No one was even outside that we could see...Its like the whole place was soaked in alcohol. Again, I'm not here to debate welfare, I'm just telling you what I experienced! It was crazy. We tried to stay South of Nashville so the commute to Brentwood wouldn't be too bad so I can't really speak for other areas. I hear that west Nashville and Bellevue and Bell Meade are good areas but I haven't checked them out. Brentwood is a very nice area but it is very very pricey. If you have 400k+ to spend on a house then this is the place for you. And be prepared to be one of the "poor" people there lol. Franklin is just south of Brentwood and this is the place that we plan to live if we end up moving. It has a small hispanic community off of West end or west main? I can't remember the name of the street but it was just outside of downtown it seems. In the middle of town there are a lot of very nice new neighborhoods. Housing prices here seemed to fall in the mid 200s to mid 300s with a few outliers. I'm sure there were pricier neighborhoods but we tried to only drive around the ones we thought we may be able to afford. We came to the realization that the houses in the low 200s were probably not on the market very long because most people are probably looking for a cheaper house in a nicer neighborhood. If you can afford it, Brentwood and Franklin (and the Cool Springs area inbetween them) seem to be the nicest places and they are a 10-15 minute commute to downtown Nashville. The Cool Springs Mall is very very nice. I've heard that the Hickory Hill mall in Antioch is terrible and infested with gangs...the police officer said he wouldn't want anyone to go there without a gun. That can't be good. Anyway, I'd suggest taking a few days to drive around the neighborhoods and get a feel for them. It seemed to be pretty telling for me at least. Good luck with your move!

Old 04-07-2007, 01:58 AM

15 posts, read 74,245 times
I just realized that you are from Kingsport. So are we! The housing prices are VERY different there. I grossly underestimated the difference in cost of living. Anyway, theres really no point to this post-I'm just really tired and found it ironic that we are in the same area.

Old 04-07-2007, 04:25 AM

30,383 posts, read 51,996,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfyum View Post
Honestly, it is your politically correct BS that is not only sad, but might possibly be the ruin of AMERICA!!!
Welcome to America! Speak ENGLISH !!!!!!!!!!!!!
I DON'T care what you speak at home. But in places of business, you better speak English. And signs better be in English!
People need take back our LANGUAGE!!!!!!!
Un freakin real!!!
Tell that to the Europeans (and most other countries), who have maintained multi-lingual societies pretty well... I've been all over the world, and never encounter attitudes like this outside of the US - what's the big deal about having different languages in a HUGE country?? Seriously, I just don't get it.

Old 04-07-2007, 04:31 AM

989 posts, read 5,928,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
What's the big deal about having different languages in a HUGE country?? Seriously, I just don't get it.
If you left the Bay Area and spent about 3-5 years living in a homogenous community you might understand better why many people feel that the fewer differences is better and equates to living more relaxed life. A life-free from miscommunications, judgements, tensions, and stereotypes.

Old 04-07-2007, 07:54 AM

1,703 posts, read 5,145,683 times
Quote:
Well, of course they do! Wouldn't you stand up for your spouse/partner, if somebody was speaking badly of their ethnic group?? What if I started complaining about White Christians, and how they were destroying my town? Can't tell me that wouldn't offend you slightly... even if I didn't actually use the word ALL.
Ya ofcourse I'd stand up for my spouse. But if I was married to a Latino they would not be illegel and they would not have many of the callous and lazy attitudes that many do.
If you were married/dating a Muslim does that mean you would stand up for the 9/1 terrorists when someoone attacked them??

Old 04-07-2007, 08:40 AM

942 posts, read 2,585,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisonja View Post
I am moving to a community that has very few hispanics in it too because we are also being over-run by them here in Florida. I just loved the comment about hispanics in Miami?? LOL!! NO HISPANICS in Miami... mainly CUBAN there!! Bit of a difference.

Anyways I am going to say this to the one who wants to live away from the "Mexicans"... I don't blame you!! Hell we are in the good ole USA and our language is English here and not Spanish!! They need to learn to live American if they are going to be here. Do you realize that they get everything handed to them? They don't have to work for God's sake. They get all of their medical paid for where I live. That is just wrong.

What in your opinion is the difference between Hispanics and Cubans???? Do you know Cubans are Hispanic???

Old 04-07-2007, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan-ite View Post
Yeah, nobody labeled her post as "racist". They just wanted to kidnap this member and move her or him to Miami! I think the idea is a funny one.

Who said that "in Miami there are Cubans, not Hispanics, big difference"?

Wait a momento... Cubans are Hispanics, aren't they??

Definition of Hispanic: "Persons of Mexican, Puerto Rican, Cuban, Central or South American, or other Spanish culture or origin, regardless of race".

So you are biased against Mexicans only and your post should have read "Need community with low Mexican presence", since you seem not to mind Cubans, Puerto Ricans, Salvadorians, Guatemalans...
Dont for get Spaniards they are also Hispanic.

Old 04-07-2007, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
Ya ofcourse I'd stand up for my spouse. But if I was married to a Latino they would not be illegel and they would not have many of the callous and lazy attitudes that many do.
If you were married/dating a Muslim does that mean you would stand up for the 9/1 terrorists when someoone attacked them??
Im from Hispanic descendants, my ancestors are all Cuban and Spaniard and we are FAR from callous or lazy. The old saying you are what you know is very true. Perhaps you only know callous and lazy Hispanics because you fall in that category.

I for one hold a Masters in Bus/Finance and am working on my second degree. And most of my family are college grads that do quite well. I do not believe I am the minority, I tend to surround myself by well educated people from ALL walks of life.

Old 04-07-2007, 09:15 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,625,051 times
Quote:
Tell that to the Europeans (and most other countries), who have maintained multi-lingual societies pretty well... I've been all over the world, and never encounter attitudes like this outside of the US - what's the big deal about having different languages in a HUGE country?? Seriously, I just don't get it.
There is not a problem, in and of itself, due to different languages being spoken in this country. Where the problem lies, is if we don't have a relatively universal language that we can all use, in our public life. I am not bi-lingual, never mind multi-lingual, (not counting the little bit of Spanish I know), and that can be a problem, when one is trying to communicate, with people from other races and ethnic groups, who don't speak English. Traditionally, English has been the main language, and I don't want to have to learn multiple languages, just to communicate in my own country. I'm not saying that it wouldn't be nice to know more than one language, but let's face it, it would be impractical for most of us to be multi-lingual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration