Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 05:10 AM

7,025 posts, read 11,413,672 times

Advertisements

The "swine flu" that has infected more than 1,000 people in Mexico has led a lawmaker on the House Homeland Security Committee to call on U.S. officials to close the southern border.

Rep. Eric Massa (D-N.Y.) said the border should be closed until the threat is resolved.

"The public needs to be aware of the serious threat of swine flu, and we need to close our borders to Mexico immediately and completely until this is resolved," Massa said in a statement.

"I am making this announcement because I see this as a serious threat to the health of the American public and I do not believe this issue is receiving the attention it needs to have in the news," Massa said.

TheHill.com - Lawmaker wants border closed over swine flu

It's sad that Americans have to be at risk of a pandemic in order for our border to be secured. In any event, the possibility of the end of the invasion from the south feels me with glee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2009, 07:10 AM

Default NYC School Closed over Swine Flu Concerns

Click link to view video:

NYC School Closed Over Swine Flu Concerns Video - Comcast.net

Old 04-26-2009, 07:51 AM

1 posts, read 1,570 times
Yet another gift from Mexico - Not satisfied with: (1) ruining our educational system, (2) ruining our health care system , (3) taking away jobs (4) poisoning our youth - mostly city youth - with drugs (5) ruining the deserts along the border, Mexico sends us some terrible disease.

If we had any back bone we would declare war on Mexico and put barbed wire along the border.

This is a serious matter. Why hasn't the Obama Administration taken any action? The borders should've been closed already.

Old 04-26-2009, 07:56 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
First the drug war now this? What is it going to take to ensure our Country is safe during this?

Old 04-26-2009, 08:00 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,145,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
First the drug war now this? What is it going to take to ensure our Country is safe during this?
As I have been opining for a long time now: attitudes are hardening against anything associated with illegal immigration-------------between the drug cartel crap and now the swine flu, the 'tipping point' has been reached and Americans are both scared and increasingly becoming angry.

Old 04-26-2009, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proteus48 View Post
Yet another gift from Mexico - Not satisfied with: (1) ruining our educational system, (2) ruining our health care system , (3) taking away jobs (4) poisoning our youth - mostly city youth - with drugs (5) ruining the deserts along the border, Mexico sends us some terrible disease.

If we had any back bone we would declare war on Mexico and put barbed wire along the border.

This is a serious matter. Why hasn't the Obama Administration taken any action? The borders should've been closed already.
Would you stop reading my mind. Mexico is the gift that keeps on regifting isn't it?

Bravo I couldn't agree more

Old 04-26-2009, 09:06 AM

MEXICO CITY — Governments around the world rushed on Sunday to check the spread of a new type of swine flu that has killed up to 81 people in Mexico and infected around a dozen in the United States.
Mexicans huddled in their homes while U.S. hospitals tracked patients with flu symptoms and other countries imposed health checks at airports
as the World Health Organization warned the virus had the potential to become a pandemic.
The epidemic has snowballed into a monster headache for Mexico, already grappling with a violent drug war and economic slowdown, and has quickly become one of the biggest global health scares in years.
Mexico's tourism and retail sectors could be badly hit. A new pandemic would deal a major blow to a world economy already suffering its worst recession in decades.
In New Zealand, 10 pupils from an Auckland school party that had returned from Mexico were being treated for influenza symptoms in what health authorities said was a likely case of swine flu, although they added none was seriously ill.

Comcast.net: Swine flu epidemic fear grows, world on alert (http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-general/20090424/NEWS-US-FLU/ - broken link)

Not that any of us needed confirmation as to where this virus originated. Well Mexico wanted America's full attention, they now have it. I doubt that the governments of the rest of the world affected by this will be as sympathetic or gracious as ours.

Old 04-26-2009, 10:13 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
They aren't going to close the border just because of potential harm to Americans. That would hurt some corporations money.

Old 04-26-2009, 11:26 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,652,324 times
I feel sorry for people who live in border towns. I live in AZ, I'm sure NM or AZ will be the next state to announce a flu outbreak.

Old 04-26-2009, 02:58 PM

2,381 posts, read 5,047,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proteus48 View Post

Probably because this is Spring Break month and there are many Americans in Mexico taking a vacation. Closing the border would mean that Americans would have to stay in Mexico, unprotected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration