Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 12:57 PM

709 posts, read 1,767,467 times

Advertisements

If the majority of illegal immigrants in the U.S were from Eastern Europe and not from Mexico and Central America, do you think all of the radical far left groups out there like the ACLU and the NCLR would be fighting for their rights to stay in the U.S ? Or do you think they only care about the plight of illegal immigrants if they have Brown skin ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 01:07 PM

223 posts, read 300,587 times
The ACLU, I'm sure.

Groups like NCLR or NAACP? Maybe indirectly, but that isn't the focus of the organizations.

I don't know for Eastern Europe, since it isn't a country, but half of a continent, but maybe groups like this would get involved?
Polish American Congress - About Us

Old 05-29-2009, 01:14 PM

This group would probably help indirectly, but Eastern Europeans aren't their focus either.
The Irish Lobby for Immigration Reform

Like NCLR, and I think the Irish Lobby, these people were asking for legalization of all...but not specifically Eastern Europeans.
Filipino-Americans in New York City March for Legalization on May Day. Pulitika.org Politics. Empowerment. Advocacy

Why do you ask specifically for Eastern Europeans? Are you Eastern European?

Old 05-29-2009, 01:26 PM

291 posts, read 414,003 times
OT op please put in politics

Old 05-29-2009, 01:39 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,640,468 times
I think an even more pertinent question would be if the vast majority of illegal immigrants were from former Eastern Bloc countries that repeatedly and proudly stated that they were changing the 'face' of the US, would that be considered racist?

I think it would.

Old 05-29-2009, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I think an even more pertinent question would be if the vast majority of illegal immigrants were from former Eastern Bloc countries that repeatedly and proudly stated that they were changing the 'face' of the US, would that be considered racist?

I think it would.
Why?

In a different context, if Eastern Europeans are said to be changing the face of a neighborhood, I don't see it as being racist. I see it as demographics changing.

I don't even understand why people say it's racist for Latinos saying they are becoming the face of America.
It's true, that America is becoming more Latino. So what?

That's only really offensive if you have a fear of that. Or resentment that the country is becoming less "anglo-white".

People complain that Latinos don't love America, and don't want to assimilate, but if they say they are becoming a big part of America, they shriek "racist! racist! racist!".

I don't know what you want. You want us to want to be American, but to be a quiet, small part of America?

Old 05-29-2009, 01:57 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,640,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thechicano View Post
Why?

In a different context, if Eastern Europeans are said to be changing the face of a neighborhood, I don't see it as being racist. I see it as demographics changing.

I don't even understand why people say it's racist for Latinos saying they are becoming the face of America.
It's true, that America is becoming more Latino. So what?

That's only really offensive if you have a fear of that. Or resentment that the country is becoming less "anglo-white".

People complain that Latinos don't love America, and don't want to assimilate, but if they say they are becoming a big part of America, they shriek "racist! racist! racist!".

I don't know what you want. You want us to want to be American, but to be a quiet, small part of America?
Afraid of the country becoming less anglowhite? No.
But does it unnerve me when people are proudly stating that the US better learn how to speak Spanish because 'we are going to be the majority' in a few years or when posters use the phrase 'new americans' or when illegal immigrants from one ethnic group parades the flags of thier former homeland while demanding and chanting for rights that they do not deserve yeah, it does make me wonder about their dedication to the whole 'melting pot' philosophy.
Imagine that?
Oddly enough, the Sudanese who certainly have come through a living hell that yes, even worse then that of the rural poor of mexico, and yet they are very happy to be here. They learn English, they are legal immigrants and they are after what everyone else if after - the American dream. Not the hispanic dream, not the latino dream, not la raza dream - the american dream.
That is a huge difference.

Old 05-29-2009, 01:59 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:

I think it would.
No joke there.

Despite my being in part Hungarian lineage----------if innudated by a bunch of illegal aliens from Hungary; which is indeed in Eastern Europe---------I would gladly help in the deportation of said criminals!

Old 05-29-2009, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Afraid of the country becoming less anglowhite? No.
But does it unnerve me when people are proudly stating that the US better learn how to speak Spanish because 'we are going to be the majority' in a few years or when posters use the phrase 'new americans' or when illegal immigrants from one ethnic group parades the flags of thier former homeland while demanding and chanting for rights that they do not deserve yeah, it does make me wonder about their dedication to the whole 'melting pot' philosophy.
Imagine that?
Oddly enough, the Sudanese who certainly have come through a living hell that yes, even worse then that of the rural poor of mexico, and yet they are very happy to be here. They learn English, they are legal immigrants and they are after what everyone else if after - the American dream. Not the hispanic dream, not the latino dream, not la raza dream - the american dream.
That is a huge difference.

This post right here is very unnerving itself. It shows a distrust of Latinos, and the comparison between a negative image of Latinos and a generalized image of Sudanese isn't going to get us anywhere.
The distrust of your fellow Americans of Latino descent won't do you much good.
It doesn't bother me though, because I'm a little more optimistic about being accepted in this country as a fellow American by people that don't hold those kinds of prejudices. Even when I do have my entitled right to have my own political views.

Regardless of how many people hold up the flags of Latin nations(just like the Irish, Italians, Polish do), or whatever few radicals there are out there in proportion to those of us who are normal people living our lives.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:57 PM

1,213 posts, read 1,632,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John McClane View Post
If the majority of illegal immigrants in the U.S were from Eastern Europe and not from Mexico and Central America, do you think all of the radical far left groups out there like the ACLU and the NCLR would be fighting for their rights to stay in the U.S ? Or do you think they only care about the plight of illegal immigrants if they have Brown skin ?
No way jose. The Democratic party is now controled by the far left and has been blatantly hispandering to the Mexican illegals because they see that these poor, uneducated Mexican peons are ripe to become part of the Democratic welfare system which will make them future Democratic voters if the career Democratic politicians can get the illegal Mexicans amnestied. The AACLU has been infiltrated by left wing radicals. These left wing Democrats and members of the AACLU are working together to acquire the new illegal Mexican future Democratic voter bloc in order to help ensure that left wing politicians stay in power. The NCLR, of course, is too hispanic ethnocentric to fight for any group other than hispanics. Eastern Europeans are too well educated to be dependable future Democratic voters, if amnestied, so the Dems and the AACLU would stay with the illegal Mexicans all the way, not Eastern Europeans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration