Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 03:28 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,567,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellem View Post
CNN.com - Six months after Sept. 11, hijackers' visa approval letters received - March 13, 2002

The fact that a visa is expires does not mean they are illegal aliens, if your paperwork is with the USCIS you are not here illegaly. Some of these guys were sent letter of their approvals after the attacks.
Give it up. They were in violation of our immigration laws. Thus, they were here illegally. Otherwise, the 9/11 Report would not have classified them as such. Nice try though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2009, 03:33 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,647,877 times
Quote:
CNN.com - Six months after Sept. 11, hijackers' visa approval letters received - March 13, 2002

The fact that a visa is expires does not mean they are illegal aliens, if your paperwork is with the USCIS you are not here illegaly. Some of these guys were sent letter of their approvals after the attacks.
You know what, I don't even care about the topic right this second. That is a seriously creepy piece of information you posted there. How could anyone question me when I call for real government reform when our immigration officials will give visas to dead hyjackers 6 months after the attacks? This shows that the true depth of our immigration troubles go way beyond illegal immigrants. Looks like we need to start getting all up in our government's rear about their practices with legal immigrants as well. Thank you for posting this article. I had no idea our immigration system was that screwed up. Personally, I think there should be a temporary order passed banning all immigration so that we can take the time to go through the ones we already have here and make sure everyone is who they say they are and doing what they are supposed to be doing. The system is obviously broken, and there is no way we should even consider letting others in. Our government obviously can't keep track of the immigrants they have here already.

Old 06-14-2009, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
You know what, I don't even care about the topic right this second. That is a seriously creepy piece of information you posted there. How could anyone question me when I call for real government reform when our immigration officials will give visas to dead hyjackers 6 months after the attacks? This shows that the true depth of our immigration troubles go way beyond illegal immigrants. Looks like we need to start getting all up in our government's rear about their practices with legal immigrants as well. Thank you for posting this article. I had no idea our immigration system was that screwed up. Personally, I think there should be a temporary order passed banning all immigration so that we can take the time to go through the ones we already have here and make sure everyone is who they say they are and doing what they are supposed to be doing. The system is obviously broken, and there is no way we should even consider letting others in. Our government obviously can't keep track of the immigrants they have here already.
It is indeed disturbing, and exemplifies the level of incompetence we have in our government. The same government that expects us to believe they will secure our borders, if only we grant citizenship to 20+ million illegal aliens. None of whom will receive an adequate background check. How many terrorists and other violent criminals will our inept government authorize for citizenship?

Old 06-14-2009, 03:42 PM

804 posts, read 1,360,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Actually, I heard that very argument when Tancredo's aid was being discussed. Maybe you didn't see that thread, but it was nothing but a big slug fest aimed at a man that had nothing to do with the crime committed. But nearly every pro-illegal on the board was using this arrest as a reason to discredit Tancredo as a racist because he had an aid who went on a rampage. Good to hear someone from the pro-side actually disagreed with that nonsense.
Reads2MUCH,

I think everyone should have their own opinion, like that saying: "If you don't stand for something you'll fall for anything".. And I can say that is my case in many subjects where I have no interest on. And as much as I am in the pro-side, ( I am not even in the pro-illegal immigration, I want a immigration policy that makes sense, to me ), everytime I hear people make such generalizations they lose a lot of credibility. I may have in the past and will in the future but I really try not to.

Things like:

Since some of the illegals have no formal education...then all illegal aliens are uneducated, culturaly-backward individuals.

Since some of the illegals are in welfare...then all illegal aliens are here just for welfare, they are not here to work but because they want handouts.

Since some illegals have commited violent crimes... then all illegal aliens are blood thirsty savages that come here to kill and rape people.

Since some anti-illegals are racist... then all anti-illegals are racist equal to KKK or neo-nazis. That will linch a Mexican (or Mexican looking) the first chance they get.

Since some anti-illegals don't like Spanish or the Latin America culture... then all anti-illegals are xenophobes that want the U.S. to be WASPS only.

Since 11 people on the highjackers plane had visas expired ( they still had applications with the INS) ..then visa overstayers are terrorists.

And so on...

These only represent really small samples that are not representative of the group they are attributed to. If illegals were useless...then why would companies hire them...they must be at least good for the job they are doing. If all ilegals were killers...with 20 Million illegals, that would make for a lot of dead U.S. citizens. The same thing with anti-illegals, if they were all xenophobes/racists they will alienate possible supporters extremely quick, since most people will likely to stand somewhere around the middle.

No matter who does these kinds of generalizations, they are not lookiing for a logical debate. They just want to play on fear and morals, to leverage people's emotions to advance their agendas.

Old 06-14-2009, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Reads2MUCH,

I think everyone should have their own opinion, like that saying: "If you don't stand for something you'll fall for anything".. And I can say that is my case in many subjects where I have no interest on. And as much as I am in the pro-side, ( I am not even in the pro-illegal immigration, I want a immigration policy that makes sense, to me ), everytime I hear people make such generalizations they lose a lot of credibility. I may have in the past and will in the future but I really try not to.

Things like:

Since some of the illegals have no formal education...then all illegal aliens are uneducated, culturaly-backward individuals.

Since some of the illegals are in welfare...then all illegal aliens are here just for welfare, they are not here to work but because they want handouts.

Since some illegals have commited violent crimes... then all illegal aliens are blood thirsty savages that come here to kill and rape people.

Since some anti-illegals are racist... then all anti-illegals are racist equal to KKK or neo-nazis. That will linch a Mexican (or Mexican looking) the first chance they get.

Since some anti-illegals don't like Spanish or the Latin America culture... then all anti-illegals are xenophobes that want the U.S. to be WASPS only.

Since 11 people on the highjackers plane had visas expired ( they still had applications with the INS) ..then visa overstayers are terrorists.

And so on...

These only represent really small samples that are not representative of the group they are attributed to. If illegals were useless...then why would companies hire them...they must be at least good for the job they are doing. If all ilegals were killers...with 20 Million illegals, that would make for a lot of dead U.S. citizens. The same thing with anti-illegals, if they were all xenophobes/racists they will alienate possible supporters extremely quick, since most people will likely to stand somewhere around the middle.

No matter who does these kinds of generalizations, they are not lookiing for a logical debate. They just want to play on fear and morals, to leverage people's emotions to advance their agendas.

Stop trying to twist my words. I never said all visa overstays are terrorists. I responded to your post in which you stated we should change our laws to accommodate even illegals who entered our country via airplanes; which would include the 9/11 terrorists.

Old 06-14-2009, 04:13 PM

804 posts, read 1,360,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Stop trying to twist my words. I never said all visa overstays are terrorists. I responded to your post in which you stated we should change our laws to accommodate even illegals who entered our country via airplanes; which would include the 9/11 terrorists.
Then you should have nothing to worry about, why do you take offence from this post if that is not what you meant?

Old 06-14-2009, 04:33 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,908,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Perhaps if you didn’t spend so much time trying to think of snide remarks, you could do a little homework. Thus, avoid the appearance of ignorance.

9/11 Security Solutions, LLC - Border initiatives miss huge group:Millions overstay; security risk seen
I love irony in the afternoon.

Old 06-14-2009, 04:51 PM

Look, I don't really know we deviated from the topic of marriage, but going back on track. How is this proposal any different than what's in place for Americans getting married in Mexico? Honest question, maybe something I'm not getting...

Old 06-14-2009, 04:53 PM

Location: Where laws can be ignored due to political correctness
1,111 posts, read 1,852,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Look, I don't really know we deviated from the topic of marriage, but going back on track. How is this proposal any different than what's in place for Americans getting married in Mexico? Honest question, maybe something I'm not getting...
Because illegal foreigners shouldn't be allowed to do certain things while being in violation of our laws because of legal loopholes and those who are here legally should be able to abide by our laws?

Old 06-14-2009, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antireconquista View Post
Because illegal foreigners shouldn't be allowed to do certain things while being in violation of our laws and those who are here legally should be able to abide by our laws?
What does this have to do with marriage? It's not citizenship, nor other rights pertaining to citizenship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration