Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 09:15 AM

3,712 posts, read 6,478,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueseas123 View Post
I don't think all anti-illegals are anti-Hispanic, but there are enough to notice. There are people who GO OUT OF THEIR WAY to discriminate me based on my Latin appearance, even if I speak fluent English and I have a band shirt on (bands who would only be listened to by people who grow up here) and look (at least I THINK I look) like I am American. For many, this is about "I dont want my country to turn brown." Pure and simple. I am not for illegal immigration at all. But it is disingenuous to think that there isn't an underlying racism here, and especially in this forum. The old lady from Azle, TX didnt even make a distinction between American citizens from Latino descents and illegal immigrants. And other people were APPLAUDING HER, saying that it was in her first amendment rights to desrespect millions of people who are here fair and square. Perhaps I should go burn American flags simply because it is in my "right" to do so, right?
My family has paid THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS IN LEGAL FEES TO BE IN THIS COUNTRY.
People like her can k*** my ass because this country is mine fair and square and I sure as hell am not going anywhere.
How do these people discriminate against you? Do they refuse to serve you in a restaurant, decline to rent you an apartment or tell you that they do not sell merchandise to 'your kind' in stores?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 05:43 PM

53 posts, read 93,174 times
we have to punish the employers but many democrats vote against enforcement measures

why>?

Old 08-03-2009, 03:31 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,178,963 times
I think the reason the focus is on Hispanics is the catering to Spanish speakers, plus the fact that they are the largest group of illegal immigrants. The foreign languge you most often hear is Spanish. When you call a business you're prompted to 'press 1' for Spanish. Instructions, or warnings, on items you buy are in Spanish. Voting materials are in Spanish. Some people have been required to speak Spanish to get a job, or learn Spanish in order to keep their job. If we had the same forced immersion in other languages, I don't think the focus would be on Hispanics so much.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:23 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
I do not equate anti illegal immigration with anti immigration. I understand the difference. As a matter of fact, I am past learning the definition of each. I am now at...How does this affect my community, my state and my country?

I believe whole heartedly that it would really devastate our economy even more than it already is. I have done so much reading and reasearch, I have reached the conclusion that it would be far more costly to deport than it would be to legalize them. I thank God our president understands this. I will post another thread to show how in addition to cutting off 12 million, their contributions through business, taxes etc, can really hinder our economy. All you need to do is look at the number of ordinances that are a potential law suite and the many that will see this as JACK POT! Our politicians are listening and I believe they are trying to save our country.
Looking at our high unemployment rate: the mere presence of the illegals here is more devastating in all fairness.

It would severely injure Mexico in particular if they were forced to take back ca. 6 million of their people plus the minor age US born Anchors of same.

Besides: if we truly needed 'stoop labor'----------why should we use Mexicans? We would be far better off importing Filipinos, E Indians or Africans (Black or White) since they at least speak English off the bat and their culture is closer to ours.

Oh well.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:07 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Besides: if we truly needed 'stoop labor'----------why should we use Mexicans? We would be far better off importing Filipinos, E Indians or Africans (Black or White) since they at least speak English off the bat and their culture is closer to ours.

Oh well.
African culture is closer to US culture than Mexican culture and Africans speak English "off the bat"? What drugs are you on?

The average African does not speak English, and African culture is extremely different from US culture unless you're talking about South Africa. How did you come up with Equatorial Guinea, Mali, Senegal, Angola, etc. being culturally closer to the US than Mexico? That's pretty absurd.

You realize that the Brits didn't rule ALL of Africa in the days of the Empire?

Unless you think that just because the US has a president who's half-Luo that somehow means that Luo culture has become identical to US culture.

BTW in a previous post you acknowledged there are many similarities between Mexican culture and the culture of the US South and Southwest 50 years ago. OTOH the culture of even an English speaking African country like Nigeria or Kenya bears little resemblance to US culture in any era.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
African culture is closer to US culture than Mexican culture and Africans speak English "off the bat"? What drugs are you on?

The average African does not speak English, and African culture is extremely different from US culture unless you're talking about South Africa. How did you come up with Equatorial Guinea, Mali, Senegal, Angola, etc. being culturally closer to the US than Mexico? That's pretty absurd.

You realize that the Brits didn't rule ALL of Africa in the days of the Empire?

Unless you think that just because the US has a president who's half-Luo that somehow means that Luo culture has become identical to US culture.

BTW in a previous post you acknowledged there are many similarities between Mexican culture and the culture of the US South and Southwest 50 years ago. OTOH the culture of even an English speaking African country like Nigeria or Kenya bears little resemblance to US culture in any era.
No drugs there, pal.

So I was not crystal clear about stating those parts of Africa formerly under British dominion.

Otherwise I stand by what I stated.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:47 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,769,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
The company that moved me out of my rental and into my house sent a non-English speaking illegal alien to my home.
How did you know he was illegal and not just a non-English speaking US citizen? For that matter, how do you really know that he did not speak English?

Old 08-03-2009, 09:30 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
No drugs there, pal.

So I was not crystal clear about stating those parts of Africa formerly under British dominion.

Otherwise I stand by what I stated.
Let's see. Mexicans are the same religion as the majority of Americans, while many African Commonwealth countries have Muslim majorities, such as Nigeria. Furthermore although English is an official language of Nigeria most Nigerians don't speak it at all.

The elite of African Commonwealth countries are not typical of the entire population.

Old 08-03-2009, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Let's see. Mexicans are the same religion as the majority of Americans, while many African Commonwealth countries have Muslim majorities, such as Nigeria. Furthermore although English is an official language of Nigeria most Nigerians don't speak it at all.

The elite of African Commonwealth countries are not typical of the entire population.
Most Americans are not Catholic.

As for the Africans: being that we have something called an ocean separating that continent from us----------our government can be picky whom we let in. Read that English speakers only and so on.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:18 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
How did you know he was illegal and not just a non-English speaking US citizen? For that matter, how do you really know that he did not speak English?

One of the requirements for becoming a citizen, and getting your citizenship, is, that you can speak English.

I think that is what everyone is getting racial profiling mixed up with. I call it language profiling.

He knew because they couldn't speak a lick of English. They were there. You were not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration