Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 03:35 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,564,938 times

Advertisements

Here we go again with the inane comparison between these illegal invaders and former slaves. Sadly, this garbage is being taught in our schools.

Quote:
FRAMINGHAM, Mass. — A college professor had harsh words Tuesday for the nation's handling of immigration, drawing parallels to the treatment of illegal immigrants with America's history of slavery.

"The people who are illegal immigrants are no different than anyone else," Aviva Chomsky, a Salem State College professor, told students at Framingham High School. "The government passed a law (that says) they are different."

"People always come to the U.S. because there's a demand for labor ... everyone who comes here, comes to work," she said.

Chomsky drew a parallel between the nation's handling of immigration with the enslavement of African-Americans about 150 years ago, and said in both cases, the government decided that some people had rights and others had none.
Chomsky daughter compares treatment of illegal immigrants to that of slaves - Framingham, MA - The MetroWest Daily News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 03:49 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
Well yea, they are, from a certain perspective. Immigration laws suck because men in power get rich by exploiting them. Immigrants are drawn to the country by promises of work, but since they are illegal anyway, employers don't worry about complying with labor laws. If the immigrants stop, those employers would have to pay workers real wages, give them insurance, safety equipment and all that other "pesky" stuff.

People think the government is actually trying but blowing it when it comes to keeping illegals out of the country? They don't want it to stop.

Old 10-08-2009, 03:54 PM

50,294 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Well yea, they are, from a certain perspective. Immigration laws suck because men in power get rich by exploiting them. Immigrants are drawn to the country by promises of work, but since they are illegal anyway, employers don't worry about complying with labor laws. If the immigrants stop, those employers would have to pay workers real wages, give them insurance, safety equipment and all that other "pesky" stuff.

People think the government is actually trying but blowing it when it comes to keeping illegals out of the country? They don't want it to stop.
So Illegals are being held against their will? They cannot go home? I wasn't aware of that. That's awful.

Old 10-08-2009, 04:12 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times
Treatment of illegals is like what slaves endured? Well, of course it is....and when I was eight years old, my father was the MEANEST MAN on EARTH.....and many of my teachers were so sadistic that they sat up all night thinking of ways to MAKE SURE I FAILED MY COURSES....and when I got into Junior High School, I had a PE coach who was WORSE than ADOLF HITLER.

Ms. Chomsky, I know how you feel...I've been there, too. By the way, what grade are you in this year? How old will you be next year? Do your parents ever 'ground' you?

By the way, Ms. Chomsky....about how the Government 'decides' who's in, and who's out? I agree. Prisons are full of people who are JUST LIKE you and me...except that somebody decided they should be locked up, while you and I should be outside, running around free.

The NERVE !! How do you suppose they made THAT decision?

Old 10-08-2009, 04:41 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
So Illegals are being held against their will? They cannot go home? I wasn't aware of that. That's awful.
Stop it, I can't stand to see a grown man cry.

The point is the exploitation is there. Maybe "slavery" isn't the best word. But you mexican haters fail to realize the people who caused and maintain the dynamic are your own leaders and the corporations they serve.

Old 10-08-2009, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Treatment of illegals is like what slaves endured? Well, of course it is....and when I was eight years old, my father was the MEANEST MAN on EARTH.....and many of my teachers were so sadistic that they sat up all night thinking of ways to MAKE SURE I FAILED MY COURSES....and when I got into Junior High School, I had a PE coach who was WORSE than ADOLF HITLER.

Ms. Chomsky, I know how you feel...I've been there, too. By the way, what grade are you in this year? How old will you be next year? Do your parents ever 'ground' you?

By the way, Ms. Chomsky....about how the Government 'decides' who's in, and who's out? I agree. Prisons are full of people who are JUST LIKE you and me...except that somebody decided they should be locked up, while you and I should be outside, running around free.

The NERVE !! How do you suppose they made THAT decision?
Most people are big hearted when they are young until they are cast out into the real World and realize:
A. We are FORCED to pay taxes.
B. Millions of people try to steal those taxes.

Illegals fall under plan B now for me.

Old 10-08-2009, 04:56 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:

The point is the exploitation is there. Maybe "slavery" isn't the best word. But you mexican haters fail to realize the people who caused and maintain the dynamic are your own leaders and the corporations they serve.
Obviously; our 'Mexican haters' are asleep at the switch re: treaing illegal aliens shabbily----------otherwise, said criminals would have returned to Mexico.

Frankly: the true 'Mexican haters' are IN Mexico--------the peons there are basically trash in the eyes of the elite.

Old 10-08-2009, 05:07 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times
Quote:

How did these leaders 'make' so many people come here? Surely these folks knew what they were doing was 'against the law'. You're not suggesting, I HOPE, that these folks are such rural 'simpletons' that they can't HELP being 'sucked in' to some illegal scheme, even one that involves crossing into another nation? That maybe these people are just such gullible 'rustics' that they don't KNOW that laws should be obeyed? That they can't obey unless "forced" to by some bully in authority...that otherwise, 'laws are made to be broken'? I HOPE that's not what you're saying..because that would be an AWFUL attitude to bring here to America, if one had any idea of ever 'fitting in'.

I understand your position on these odious employers, and I agree. But trying to absolve the illegals of their responsibility, as reasonably intelligent adults, of obeying the laws of the land, sounds to me pretty close to 'Mexican-hating' in its own right. I mean, people are either responsible for their actions, or they're not.

BTW, for the record, I'm not a 'Mexican hater'..I'm just a guy who's tired of BS, and who has little patience for folks who see the law as being "OK for others..but it REALLY doesn't apply to me"....I get REALLY fed up with that attitude, coming from illegals, or anyone else....and I hear it more and more each year.

By the way, while we're on the subject of the slimy underhanded 'doings' of OUR movers-and-shakers up HERE...our 'leaders'...any comment on THEIR leaders, back home? The leaders who stood by and watched as these people LEFT?..the leaders who gave these people such 'grief' that they were 'squeezed out'? Or is it just OUR leaders who created this whole mess?

Last edited by macmeal; 10-08-2009 at 05:19 PM..

Old 10-08-2009, 05:10 PM

Quote:

Ya think? Yet the entire thread is based on that word. What a joke. Where is the rage and anger at the Govts of these Countries they are coming from? Why does the US have to change the diapers of all the outcasts on the planet? The tax payers don't want them here nor use them.

Here is a start, you don't want to be exploited? Sign up to come here legally. If you don't then prepare to live in the shadows and deal with getting snatched up by ICE if the situation presents itself. We are done with being forced to adopt these people.

Old 10-08-2009, 06:30 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,320,782 times
Quote:

NO, our immigration laws don't suck! What sucks is the enforcement of them that is allowing employers to hire illegal aliens and get rich while stabbing Americans in the back. Employers have no right to promise jobs to illegal aleins and the illegal aliens don't have the right to take them. They are both equally guilty. Actually the guilt is threefold, including our government that hasn's secured our borders and hasn't taken measures to stop the employers from hiring illegal aliens. They are also guilty of giving illegal aliens incentives to come here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration