Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 12:07 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,564,938 times

Advertisements

We are already well on our way.

Quote:
At this point in time, with 10 million legal and unlawful immigrants, California suffers a $24 billion debt. It cannot pay its bills. It sinks deeper into collapse as it adds 1,700 people per day, every day of the year.

Next question: what if all of our states turned into Californias? Given enough time, they will! Remember that U.S. population projections show immigration adding 100 million people to the USA in 26 years. (Source: Fogel/Martin March 2006, “US Population Projections,”)

“Many observers—including prominent Latin Americans—have concluded that the same traditional values that lie behind Latin America’s difficulties in achieving prosperity and political stability are being substantially perpetuated among Hispanic immigrants and their descendants in California. This implies that the problem is primarily cultural, not economic, and that fiscal measures alone will not suffice to solve it.”

“Unfortunately, the same social pathologies that attend the foreign-born in California travel to other U.S. destinations,” said Rubenstein. “In every instance immigrants are, on average, poorer than natives, more dependent on public largesse, more likely to require remedial education, less likely to finish high school, and more likely to evade taxation and to be incarcerated. Throughout the nation native-born citizens are digging ever deeper into their pockets to subsidize public services for immigrants.”
Frosty Wooldridge -- How Long Before we Become a nation of 50 Californias?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2009, 12:59 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,750,800 times
I was looking at California (yes, I want to go back--it's too cold here!) for my Graduate program--but the budget woes have just about killed the Master's and Ph.D. programs at the UCs. Even current students are losing their funding. I can't afford to go if I cannot get a Graduate Assistant teaching position to supplement my educational costs. Not even San Diego State will be accepting applications for either grad program through 2010.

Unbelievable.

If the California government wasn't so busy subsidizing illegal behavior, they could fund the University of California and state college programs for native born Americans. I'm a native born Californian and I'm disgusted by the deterioration of my state.

Old 10-10-2009, 01:15 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,320,782 times
I to am a Calif. resident and it also sickens me the fiscal mess that we are in. Our state government is so busy being PC and liberal that they have their priorties screwed up. Our goovenator ended up being a turncoat afterall. He won't even admit that massive illegal immigration into our state has been responsible for much of its woes.

Old 10-10-2009, 02:06 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times
"Social pathologies"?...a problem more 'cultural' than fiscal?....cultural practices resulting in "difficulties achieving prosperity and stability"? I'm shocked. I thought we had all agreed that all cultures were equally good and equally beneficial, and that they all 'worked'...I thought we Americans had all decided we wanted to become a 'multicultural society'. You know, a little bit of everything. Apparently, I was mistaken.

You're saying California's now having 'financial difficulties'? You mean the 'richest' state in the US? Amazing! ...maybe that's why my sister-in-law recently got a tax return in the form of an "IOU", payable in December (if they're able)....I can understand that...after all, the state owed her $219.00. It's more difficult, though to understand why they couldn't pay my Grandson's tax return. He got an IOU, too...for $6.00.

So..... let me get this straight...you're suggesting that when we COME here, that if we continue to ACT the way we did 'back home', that our life here may come to RESEMBLE the life we had back home? That if we come here, we should try to understand why this place 'works', and try to fit in....rather that acting like we did 'back there', where the society obviously DIDN'T work? Pretty novel thinking, in my opinion. That's an interesting concept.

So you're saying this is partly a 'cultural' matter? Hmmmm....I KNOW I've heard that theory before....just can't remember who said it. It'll come to me....

Old 10-10-2009, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
"Social pathologies"?...a problem more 'cultural' than fiscal?....cultural practices resulting in "difficulties achieving prosperity and stability"? I'm shocked. I thought we had all agreed that all cultures were equally good and equally beneficial, and that they all 'worked'...I thought we Americans had all decided we wanted to become a 'multicultural society'. You know, a little bit of everything. Apparently, I was mistaken.

You're saying California's now having 'financial difficulties'? You mean the 'richest' state in the US? Amazing! ...maybe that's why my sister-in-law recently got a tax return in the form of an "IOU", payable in December (if they're able)....I can understand that...after all, the state owed her $219.00. It's more difficult, though to understand why they couldn't pay my Grandson's tax return. He got an IOU, too...for $6.00.

So..... let me get this straight...you're suggesting that when we COME here, that if we continue to ACT the way we did 'back home', that our life here may come to RESEMBLE the life we had back home? That if we come here, we should try to understand why this place 'works', and try to fit in....rather that acting like we did 'back there', where the society obviously DIDN'T work? Pretty novel thinking, in my opinion. That's an interesting concept.

So you're saying this is partly a 'cultural' matter? Hmmmm....I KNOW I've heard that theory before....just can't remember who said it. It'll come to me....
Sounds intimately familiar, doesn’t it? Now let me think. . . . who is that guy? It’s on the tip of my tongue, and I know it starts with an M. Hmmmm. . . .

Old 10-10-2009, 02:28 PM

50,316 posts, read 47,056,299 times
SDSU capped enrollment and it's resulted in flooding the JCs. It's a mess folks, a real mess.

Old 10-10-2009, 02:31 PM

50,316 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Sounds intimately familiar, doesn’t it? Now let me think. . . . who is that guy? It’s on the tip of my tongue, and I know it starts with an M. Hmmmm. . . .
not sure but I thnk his initials are mac and meal

Old 10-10-2009, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
not sure but I thnk his initials are mac and meal
Ya think?!

Old 10-10-2009, 02:47 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Next question: what if all of our states turned into Californias? Given enough time, they will! Remember that U.S. population projections show immigration adding 100 million people to the USA in 26 years. (Source: Fogel/Martin March 2006,
Frosty Wooldridge -- How Long Before we Become a nation of 50 Californias?

Highly unlikely with the growing anti illegal alien sentiment in the USA.

Note too that states like Arizona and Oklahoma are 'putting the bone' to said illegal alien criminals in many regards; both legally and culturally.

Old 10-10-2009, 02:50 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,320,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post

We Americans NEVER decided we wanted to be "multi-cultural" but a melting pot into the main culture. We NEVER decided that an illegal invasion from mostly one ethnic group was acceptable nor would it contribute to the melting pot but instead would dilute the main culture and in fact compete with it for dominance and change the demographics of the identity of this country. That isn't being "multi-cultural" anyway that is being bi-cultural and not desired by most Americans.

Mexico for example has a culture of corruption and payola and is filled with many peasants who lack education and skills and those are the ones coming here. How does this help our country culturally or in any other way? Many Latinos such as these Mestizos from Mexico have a tribal mentality which is also in defiance of any melting pot concept. It is a culture where the majority adhere to a religion who believes in producing many children regardless of economic status. We need less from this kind of culture not more and certainly not those who defy our immigration laws in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration