Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 10:07 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,556,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chardonaye View Post
For some strange reason certain people think they own this country or have a sense of entitlement which is totally false and very ignorant.
I totally agree. Just because you're a citizen of a country, doesn't mean you're "entitled" to anything! To think a country is somehow "owned" by its citizens? Outrageous! Where on EARTH do people GET these ideas? How utterly presumptuous!

Imagine how upsetting it would be if we heard that "the Chinese have decided that from now on, China belongs to THEM"....or that Mexico has put out a statement that "Mexicans will henceforth be running Mexico, instead of Swedes or Italians". Imagine the Bulgarians declaring that they "owned" Bulgaria....

Good thing the US isn't like that !! That would be very ignorant....(strange, too !)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2010, 03:07 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,305,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I totally agree. Just because you're a citizen of a country, doesn't mean you're "entitled" to anything! To think a country is somehow "owned" by its citizens? Outrageous! Where on EARTH do people GET these ideas? How utterly presumptuous!

Imagine how upsetting it would be if we heard that "the Chinese have decided that from now on, China belongs to THEM"....or that Mexico has put out a statement that "Mexicans will henceforth be running Mexico, instead of Swedes or Italians". Imagine the Bulgarians declaring that they "owned" Bulgaria....

Good thing the US isn't like that !! That would be very ignorant....(strange, too !)
Wait a minute, I'm confused. You don't agree that people are entitled to what is legally set out for them to have the benefits of? I don't understand how that could make sense. We've been a developed and organized country for how long now? All of a sudden, none of our laws and structures matter when it comes to illegal immigration.

I don't know if you are being sarcastic or something, but really? If I can't depend on my own country, where I was born, established and lived in, then who can I depend on? I think within the illegal immigration debate you got those who don't see borders, land ownership, and national identity and you have those that do. That is where a lot of the disagreements happen. I can't work with the whole "This-country-is-for-illegal-immigrants-too" concept.

Old 03-28-2010, 04:02 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
Wait a minute, I'm confused. You don't agree that people are entitled to what is legally set out for them to have the benefits of? I don't understand how that could make sense. We've been a developed and organized country for how long now? All of a sudden, none of our laws and structures matter when it comes to illegal immigration.

I don't know if you are being sarcastic or something, but really? If I can't depend on my own country, where I was born, established and lived in, then who can I depend on? I think within the illegal immigration debate you got those who don't see borders, land ownership, and national identity and you have those that do. That is where a lot of the disagreements happen. I can't work with the whole "This-country-is-for-illegal-immigrants-too" concept.
Macmeal was being sarcastic. He is as anti-illegal and open borders as they come.

Last edited by chicagonut; 03-28-2010 at 05:22 PM..

Old 03-28-2010, 05:09 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,556,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post

Agreed. As noted above, I sometimes use sarcasm. Usually, when doing so, I try to make my points so absolutely ludicrous that ANYONE would instantly see how silly they are. Unfortunately, even my "silly" posts aren't much sillier than some of the serious ones we get...and thus sometimes my message fails to connect.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. Obviously, I feel a country belongs to its citizens, and no one else. If those citizens want to allow others to join, legally and in an orderly manner, then that's fine....but 'sneaking' in, staying in defiance of the law, and then trying to whine, pester, or "bully" your way into being made citizens? Nope...I'm not in favor of that, at all. It makes a total mockery of the entire immigration process, and it's an absolutely lousy way to begin life as an American citizen. It's also a good way to ensure that those who arrive legally will always resent those who didn't. That's simple human nature. That same resentment would occur in ANY process in which some people did things the "right" way, while other people "cut corners" or cheated their way in....and then both groups ended up with the same 'reward'. Instant anger and resentment; once again, it's just human nature.

Old 03-29-2010, 03:08 AM

332 posts, read 644,312 times
Quote:
So, I can agree with and stand behind what people are saying here: black people, in my experience, in my area, for the most part, really don't "support" illegal immigrants.
Do most Black people where you live have a positive opinion of the Minutemen ? What percentage of Blacks voters in your area do you think would vote for a politician like Tom Tancredo ?

Old 03-29-2010, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Black people have always had sympathy for other minorities? Really? Would they be the same “minorities” that show such utter disdain for blacks? Would they also be the same “minorities” who choose to distance themselves from blacks due to their supremacist mindset? Do tell.

Your last sentence describes illegal aliens to a T.
Why did most Black voters in Los Angeles vote for a pro-illegal politician like Antonio Villaraigosa ? If Antonio Villaraigosa was a blond haired and blue eyed White guy named Anthony Vincent who made it very clear that he wanted to deport all illegal immigrants back to their home countries, wanted to make English the official language of Los Angeles, wanted to make it illegal for illegal immigrants to have a driver's license, do you think he would have still won the majority of the Black vote in Los Angeles ?

In my opinion the answer is no. And do you know why ? Because most Black voters would think this blond haired and blue eyed politician is anti-illegal for racial reasons. Most black voters would think that politician wants to stop illegal immigration because illegal immigrants are changing the racial demographics of America and making it less White.

Old 03-29-2010, 03:57 AM

132 posts, read 89,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodomonte View Post
Black leaders and politicians are for Amnesty because they are Democrats first. Same reason they are for gay marriage, which was voted down in California because so many blacks were against it. They clearly don't represent blacks.

I can remember when Jesse Jackson was against abortion because he thought it would be used to exterminate African-Americans. He quickly changed his tune on that to align himself with Democratic party principles.

I Love how you people know who represent black people and how we vote.
In case you forgot..WE elect our leaders and we know our history, culture and beliefs, and majority are NOT for gay marriage because we are a religious based people.

If you really want to be in touch, read Ebony magazine, Black Enterprise, Jet, Essense or tune in to BET. Perhaps one day when you are busy posting you might want to log onto the Black Caucas website, and stop acting like you know from whence you are speaking, because you don't!
So typical.

Old 03-29-2010, 05:44 AM

Quote:
I Love how you people know who represent black people and how we vote.
In case you forgot..WE elect our leaders and we know our history, culture and beliefs, and majority are NOT for gay marriage because we are a religious based people.
But most Black voters vote for very liberal politicians who are in favor of gay marriage.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:25 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,562,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golem1979 View Post
Why did most Black voters in Los Angeles vote for a pro-illegal politician like Antonio Villaraigosa ? If Antonio Villaraigosa was a blond haired and blue eyed White guy named Anthony Vincent who made it very clear that he wanted to deport all illegal immigrants back to their home countries, wanted to make English the official language of Los Angeles, wanted to make it illegal for illegal immigrants to have a driver's license, do you think he would have still won the majority of the Black vote in Los Angeles ?

In my opinion the answer is no. And do you know why ? Because most Black voters would think this blond haired and blue eyed politician is anti-illegal for racial reasons. Most black voters would think that politician wants to stop illegal immigration because illegal immigrants are changing the racial demographics of America and making it less White.
I have no idea what percentage of black folks voted for Tony Villaraigosa, nor their motives. Would you care to share your source?

I could be mistaken, but you don’t appear to have a very positive perception of blacks. Of course, you are certainly entitled to your opinion. However, contrary to your belief, black people are quite capable of formulating opinions, and are not a monolithic group of sheeple.

For your information, I am black, and I am very anti-illegal immigration. Furthermore, none of my black relatives, friends, or associates support illegal immigration, and we are not an anomaly. Some support illegal immigration, and others oppose -- just like any other group of citizens of this country.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:37 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,429,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I have no idea what percentage of black folks voted for Tony Villaraigosa, nor their motives. Would you care to share your source?

I could be mistaken, but you don’t appear to have a very positive perception of blacks. Of course, you are certainly entitled to your opinion. However, contrary to your belief, black people are quite capable of formulating opinions, and are not a monolithic group of sheeple.

For your information,
Quote:
I am black, and
Quote:
I am very anti-illegal immigration
. Furthermore, none of my black relatives, friends, or associates support illegal immigration, and we are not an anomaly. Some support illegal immigration, and others oppose -- just like any other group of citizens of this country.
Your kidding!!..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration