U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-04-2009, 08:11 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,848,271 times
Reputation: 3028

Advertisements

I guess the honeymoon is over.

Quote:
WASHINGTON — A House Democrat is accusing President Barack Obama of dehumanizing illegal immigrants with his hard-line stance against allowing them to benefit from pending health overhaul legislation.

Gutierrez said that Obama "calls them illegal and criminalizes and dehumanizes them."
Newsflash Gutierrez: They ARE illegal.

House Dem Attacks Obama On Immigrants - CBS News (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/11/04/ap/politics/main5526388.shtml - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-04-2009, 10:25 PM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,642,976 times
Reputation: 2983
Good for Obama..(on this point, at least). His job is President of the USA. His 'employers', to whom he is responsible, are the citizens of the USA....he's not responsible, nor does he owe allegiance, to the citizens of other nations.

Despite his being 'scolded' a while back on his trip to Mexico, for 'letting down' the Mexican people, Obama has an obligation to look out for his constituents. If the people of Mexico want to be 'looked out for', they should pressure THEIR President.... He's the guy who's 'letting them down'. Ours is busy up here, working for us. Want to find a guy who's 'responsible for the whole world'? You need to look among religious leaders, not Heads of State.

(Hope I don't have to 'eat these words' some day. He may be 'Our President'...but he's still a politician)...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2009, 10:47 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,848,271 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Good for Obama..(on this point, at least). His job is President of the USA. His 'employers', to whom he is responsible, are the citizens of the USA....he's not responsible, nor does he owe allegiance, to the citizens of other nations.

Despite his being 'scolded' a while back on his trip to Mexico, for 'letting down' the Mexican people, Obama has an obligation to look out for his constituents. If the people of Mexico want to be 'looked out for', they should pressure THEIR President.... He's the guy who's 'letting them down'. Ours is busy up here, working for us. Want to find a guy who's 'responsible for the whole world'? You need to look among religious leaders, not Heads of State.

(Hope I don't have to 'eat these words' some day. He may be 'Our President'...but he's still a politician)...
For some reason, Hispanic leaders feel Obama is beholden to them for his presidency. They act as though they and they alone are responsible for him winning the election. Now, they feel betrayed, because many ONLY voted for him because they believed he would wave a magic wand and grant amnesty to millions of Hispanic illegals. As a politician, Gutierrez should know the rules of the game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2009, 11:01 AM
 
8,640 posts, read 7,755,819 times
Reputation: 2854
The very reason I would never vote for a Hispanic. It seems their loyalities are with the country they left instead of the country they were elected to represent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2009, 11:17 AM
 
Location: Cali
3,887 posts, read 6,014,362 times
Reputation: 2201
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
The very reason I would never vote for a Hispanic. It seems their loyalities are with the country they left instead of the country they were elected to represent.
I agree!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2009, 11:37 AM
 
Location: Arizona High Desert
4,636 posts, read 4,961,330 times
Reputation: 2741
Let's all go to Monaco and DEMAND citizenship. Wipe away our tears, and say that Monaco "owes" us a free ride. See how long we stay. My guess : not long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2009, 12:43 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,180,215 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
The very reason I would never vote for a Hispanic. It seems their loyalities are with the country they left instead of the country they were elected to represent.
Even if they are American born that seems to be the case. But it is mostly about the tribal mentality that most Hispanics seem to have. You can see it their politicians all the time. Everything is about their ethnicity rather than what is best for this country as a whole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2009, 01:48 PM
 
549 posts, read 1,502,917 times
Reputation: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
For some reason, Hispanic leaders feel Obama is beholden to them for his presidency. They act as though they and they alone are responsible for him winning the election. Now, they feel betrayed, because many ONLY voted for him because they believed he would wave a magic wand and grant amnesty to millions of Hispanic illegals. As a politician, Gutierrez should know the rules of the game.



You and your brain....

People voted for Obama because the other guy McCain was a freakin old war lover creeppo.

Nobody wanted Bush #2...

Obama graduated with honors from Harvard.

You are so anti-illegal and narrowminded that now you think you can read the minds of "Hispanic leaders". Most of the politicians of Cuban background in Fla are Republicans.

Hispanic is not a race (or nationality).

Anglo is not a race.

Nobody wants illegal Aliens.


(So you know...McCain´s mother is named Roberta and he was born in the Panama Canal...)

And Bush´s brother is married to a U.S. National of Mexican background, and they have a son whose name is "George Bush" too.

Republicans are more related to North American Mexicans and Central Americans.

US Nationals voted for Obama because we are tired of the stupid wars.

Europeans love Obama.

And please...never ever relate Obama´s victory to illegal aliens...they can´t vote.

Last edited by Eduardo983; 11-05-2009 at 01:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2009, 03:38 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,848,271 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo983 View Post



You and your brain....

People voted for Obama because the other guy McCain was a freakin old war lover creeppo.

Nobody wanted Bush #2...

Obama graduated with honors from Harvard.

You are so anti-illegal and narrowminded that now you think you can read the minds of "Hispanic leaders". Most of the politicians of Cuban background in Fla are Republicans.

Hispanic is not a race (or nationality).

Anglo is not a race.

Nobody wants illegal Aliens.


(So you know...McCain´s mother is named Roberta and he was born in the Panama Canal...)

And Bush´s brother is married to a U.S. National of Mexican background, and they have a son whose name is "George Bush" too.

Republicans are more related to North American Mexicans and Central Americans.

US Nationals voted for Obama because we are tired of the stupid wars.

Europeans love Obama.

And please...never ever relate Obama´s victory to illegal aliens...they can´t vote.
Obviously, you felt compelled to preface your post with a personal attack. If I’m wrong, why not exhibit some semblance of maturity by disagreeing with me based on the merit of your rebuttal?

Had you bothered to read my post, rather than going full speed ahead into attack mode, you would realize I NEVER mentioned illegal aliens voting. Nor did I mention Hispanic or Anglo as a race.

Hispanic leaders do in fact expect Obama to grant amnesty to the millions of Hispanic illegal aliens. Furthermore, it can NOT be denied that illegal immigration was a pivotal issue for Hispanic voters.

BTW, we both realize illegal aliens are ineligible to vote. Perhaps you can advise your DREAMies of this fact. Sadly, they are under the impression they have representatives in Congress.


Quote:
The unprecedented turnout of Latino voters for Barack Obama signaled not just a desire for change in the country but a change in how federal immigration policy is adversely impacting Latino communities.

Since this is politics, the kind of support Latino voters gave the Democratic Party did come with strings attached. The big question is does that payback come in the form of a key Cabinet position going to a Latino/a or can it be satisfied with the Obama Administration addressing in his first 100 days an issue that was among the top three for Latino voters and one that has soured many against the Republican Party — immigration reform?
Is 67% of the Latino vote enough to buy a moratorium on immigration raids? (Latina Lista — Op-eds) (http://latinalista.net/op-eds/2008/11/is_67_of_the_latino_vote_enough_to_buy_a.html - broken link)

Quote:
Although McCain is considered by many Latinos to be one of the most appealing Republican candidates in memory because of his efforts to reform immigration policy, many are angry with him for backing away during the Republican primary from his promise to enact such reform as president.

Barack Obama sought to exploit the perceived disappointment among Hispanics in his address to the group, delivered four hours after McCain’s speech.

“We need a president who isn’t going to walk away from something as important as comprehensive reform when it becomes politically unpopular,” Obama said.
Presidential candidates court Hispanic voters - Examiner.com (http://www.examiner.com/a-1478731~Presidential_candidates_court_Hispanic_vot ers.html - broken link)

Quote:
Before a huge crowd in San Diego last summer, Barack Obama vowed to make fixing illegal immigration a top priority as president, and Latinos nationwide responded with massive support for him on Election Day. Now, they are pressing him to keep his promise.

"We voted in large numbers for Obama," said Juan Salgado, board president of the Illinois Coalition for Immigrant and Refugee Rights, a nonprofit based in Chicago, Obama's training ground for immigration issues when he was a senator. "If we're sitting here two and a half years from now and absolutely nothing's been done, people are going to start asking questions."

Supporters of the nation's 12 million illegal immigrants - most of whom are Latino - want Obama to press for a path to legal residency for them.
The Latino Journal: Hispanic immigration reform urgent priority (http://thelatinojournal.blogspot.com/2009/01/hispanic-immigration-reform-urgent.html - broken link)

Quote:
Gutierrez and other Hispanic Members want Obama to first use his executive authority to stop raids and deportation of immigrants, which they say splits up families. Then, they want him to push hard for comprehensive legislation.
sfimmigrantnetwork.org » immigration reform

Quote:
McCain must reassure Hispanic voters that he remains committed to an immigration reform package that includes a pathway to citizenship for illegal immigrants.

"He was a champion of comprehensive reform, and I admired him for it," Obama said after a loud ovation that included a chant of his last name. "But what he didn’t mention is that when he was running for his party’s nomination, he walked away from that commitment."
McCain and Obama court Latino voters - Ben Adler and Gebe Martinez and Jonathan Martin - Politico.com

Quote:
As the much-anticipated presidential inauguration of Barack Obama approaches, one group of immigrant activists in particular is feverishly pushing for their cause to be heard by the incoming president. They are young undocumented immigrant students who grew up in the U.S. and their supporters, who are hoping that the new administration will push for passage of the DREAM Act, a law that would allow the students to become U.S. citizens provided they meet certain conditions.
Immigrant Students, DREAM Act Supporters Hoping Obama Will Take Up Their Cause « Feet In 2 Worlds, Immigration News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2009, 04:18 PM
 
549 posts, read 1,502,917 times
Reputation: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Obviously, you felt compelled to preface your post with a personal attack. If I’m wrong, why not exhibit some semblance of maturity by disagreeing with me based on the merit of your rebuttal?

Had you bothered to read my post, rather than going full speed ahead into attack mode, you would realize I NEVER mentioned illegal aliens voting. Nor did I mention Hispanic or Anglo as a race.

Hispanic leaders do in fact expect Obama to grant amnesty to the millions of Hispanic illegal aliens. Furthermore, it can NOT be denied that illegal immigration was a pivotal issue for Hispanic voters.

BTW, we both realize illegal aliens are ineligible to vote. Perhaps you can advise your DREAMies of this fact. Sadly, they are under the impression they have representatives in Congress.



Is 67% of the Latino vote enough to buy a moratorium on immigration raids? (Latina Lista — Op-eds) (http://latinalista.net/op-eds/2008/11/is_67_of_the_latino_vote_enough_to_buy_a.html - broken link)


Presidential candidates court Hispanic voters - Examiner.com (http://www.examiner.com/a-1478731~Presidential_candidates_court_Hispanic_vot ers.html - broken link)


The Latino Journal: Hispanic immigration reform urgent priority (http://thelatinojournal.blogspot.com/2009/01/hispanic-immigration-reform-urgent.html - broken link)


sfimmigrantnetwork.org » immigration reform


McCain and Obama court Latino voters - Ben Adler and Gebe Martinez and Jonathan Martin - Politico.com


Immigrant Students, DREAM Act Supporters Hoping Obama Will Take Up Their Cause « Feet In 2 Worlds, Immigration News
Hispanic leaders do in fact expect Obama to grant amnesty to the millions of Hispanic illegal aliens???'


Not true...

Benicar, can you at least show proof of your argument? I don´t consider your mind reading abilities as a good reference.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

My DREAMies??



So you think I am Mexican (or related to Mexicans) because my name is Eduardo? Lol...

Wow..you are brilliant...

Why don´t you use your mind reading abilities and trace my ancestors?


AND...your "sources" (those links of the news websites you read everyday, blogs, whatever) are not trustworthy or professional.

You should support your arguments with better sources .

Have you heard about CNN, MSNBC, BBC?..etc etc?

Fox News is not reliable (just in case)...


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top