Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 05:40 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,666,667 times

Advertisements

NO IT IS NOT. what if they were bilingual but just chose to communicate in spanish amongst each other. they can very well be bilingual.

i better watch out next time i speak italian or tagalog, someone might think its spanish and try to get me deported.

its silly to go on ASSumptions based on color, or language. if they are going to verify, it should be across the board. defending anything other than even enforcement is a complete FAIL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
If the workers in question were speaking English; that would be one thing. However; speaking especially Spanish these days is probable cause to investigate further.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 05:50 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,375,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
speaking especially Spanish these days is probable cause to investigate further.
Although language is not an EEO protected class, I think an employer would be exposing itself to law suits if it based ID investigations on non-english language use. That just isn't a smart thing to do.

Old 12-10-2009, 06:18 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,320,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Although language is not an EEO protected class, I think an employer would be exposing itself to law suits if it based ID investigations on non-english language use. That just isn't a smart thing to do.
Perhaps, but the fact is that most of the illegals in our country are overwhelminging from Spanish speaking countries. Mexico in particular.

Old 12-10-2009, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
NO IT IS NOT. what if they were bilingual but just chose to communicate in spanish amongst each other. they can very well be bilingual.

i better watch out next time i speak italian or tagalog, someone might think its spanish and try to get me deported.

its silly to go on ASSumptions based on color, or language. if they are going to verify, it should be across the board. defending anything other than even enforcement is a complete FAIL.
One can't be deported if they are legally here regardless of language usage or skin color, so what is the sweat?

Old 12-10-2009, 07:13 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Verifying eligibility to work should be mandatory at all jobs. Doing that could bring down the unemployment rate by a few percentage points.
True. Countries like Mexico included do not allow millions of people to waltz on in and take jobs, the jobs in other countries go to citizens of those countries first. We've been doing things pretty backward for some time now.

Old 12-10-2009, 07:17 PM

its the hassle. living in an urban area and constantly being questioned because i look black. or brown. or whatever. is a hassle. its something that i am keenly aware of. and until you live in such a police state you dont really know what the "sweat" is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
One can't be deported if they are legally here regardless of language usage or skin color, so what is the sweat?

Old 12-10-2009, 07:20 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
the article says that someone tipped them off that some of the workers were working there illegally. it also said that this particular store was not registered for e-verify whereas other target stores are. why didn't this store just register for e-verify first? it seems heavy handed to only question the "latino" ppl and not all of the employees. the proper way to do it would have been to require EVERYBODY to do it. I thought that target stores were smarter than this, this seems like something that wal-mart would do.
I think any business that is 100% one particular type of foreigner should be carefully investigated. You see many businesses where "coincidently???" all the employees have recently arrived from Mexico and no one speaks much English if any.

Just like in the 60's, it was obvious if all employees at a business were white Americans, black Americans and other Americans were likely being discriminated against.

Today there is very blatant discrimination going on, and it's very apparent when it appears no Americans of any ethnic background are hired. You just cannot "accidently" end up hiring everyone who can speak only Spanish without either hiring only immigrants and discriminating against Americans.

Old 12-10-2009, 07:22 PM

and now, coming out of left field...

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I think any business that is 100% one particular type of foreigner should be carefully investigated. You see many businesses where "coincidently???" all the employees have recently arrived from Mexico and no one speaks much English if any.

Just like in the 60's, it was obvious if all employees at a business were white Americans, black Americans and other Americans were likely being discriminated against.

Today there is very blatant discrimination going on, and it's very apparent when it appears no Americans of any ethnic background are hired. You just cannot "accidently" end up hiring everyone who can speak only Spanish without either hiring only immigrants and discriminating against Americans.
maybe we can start with taxi drivers in ATL...

Last edited by the one; 12-10-2009 at 07:35 PM..

Old 12-10-2009, 07:43 PM

50,308 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
and now, coming out of left field...

maybe we can start with taxi drivers in ATL...
Yet they all speak English, why is that.

Old 12-10-2009, 07:52 PM

Quote:
its the hassle. living in an urban area and constantly being questioned because i look black. or brown. or whatever. is a hassle. its something that i am keenly aware of. and until you live in such a police state you dont really know what the "sweat" is.
No one is being questioned just because of their skin color. They are being questioned because of probable cause or suspicion. Why would anyone sweat being asked for their I.D. regardless of their skin color or ethnicity if they have nothing to hide? A police state? Don't make me laugh! I don't consider it a hassle anytime I am asked for my I.D. and it is asked for on nearlly a daily basis for one thing or another.

If you are Hispanic the very people you are advocating for (illegal aliens) are the ones you should be ticked off at for creating this situation rather than being ticked off at law enforcement or anyone else that asks for your I.D.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration