Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 06:58 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,341,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janetvj View Post
I agree that one does not justify the other. And, in fact, I don't believe that most illegals are not paying taxes. As others have said, unless they are being paid under the table (in which case IMO it's the employer who is committing the tax fraud) they have tax withheld from their pay. And they also pay sales taxes, fuel taxes, property taxes, etc., by living here and being consumers like the rest of us.

I appreciate the responses - as I said it was a question that occurred to me from another thread, and it seemed more appropriate to post it here.
Read my post above. If they are using someone elses SS number to work they are creating problems for the real owner of that number.

All the other taxes they pay such as sales tax, etc. does not cover their social costs in this country. There have been numerous stasts posted in here proving that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 07:05 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,751,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey cabal View Post
Apparently George W. Bush did not think it mattered. He remained a resident of Texas during his eight years rather than becoming a resident of Washington D.C. He paid Texas state income taxes which were: zero. But the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. His dad did this too. 12 years of unpaid state income taxes for the Bush clan. Nice.

It seemed to me, GW spent more time in Crawford Texas, than he did in DC.

Why does BHO, still consider Illinois as his residence?

Why did Slick Willy considered Arkansas as his permanent residence the entire 8 years of his reign?

The White House is a temporary gig, you know.

Old 12-10-2009, 07:19 AM

1,802 posts, read 8,171,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Read my post above. If they are using someone elses SS number to work they are creating problems for the real owner of that number.

All the other taxes they pay such as sales tax, etc. does not cover their social costs in this country. There have been numerous stasts posted in here proving that.
I remember a case we dealt with in my office where it was the employer who "assigned" SSN's to all of the people he hired. The individuals themselves had not attempted to use a false SSN. They just wanted a job. The employer then completed 1099's for each of his workers, claiming that they were independent contractors, so that he would not have to withhold tax from their pay.

Old 12-10-2009, 07:26 AM

Quote:
The employer then completed 1099's for each of his workers, claiming that they were independent contractors, so that he would not have to withhold tax from their pay.

That has gone on way before illegal aliens became a big problem. Now, they apply it to illegals to skate the system even farther. They think it removes all liability from them.

Misclassification of employees as subcontractors, is a very big problem all over the USA, even without illegals using it to skate the system.

Old 12-10-2009, 07:28 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,341,563 times
Quote:
I remember a case we dealt with in my office where it was the employer who "assigned" SSN's to all of the people he hired. The individuals themselves had not attempted to use a false SSN. They just wanted a job. The employer then completed 1099's for each of his workers, claiming that they were independent contractors, so that he would not have to withhold tax from their pay.
I am aware that that does happen and these employers need to be hung from the nearest tree however you can't tell me that the illegal employee doesn't know he is working here illegally in our country. They knew when they had jumped our border that they had broken the law.

Old 12-10-2009, 07:41 AM

1,802 posts, read 8,171,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I am aware that that does happen and these employers need to be hung from the nearest tree however you can't tell me that the illegal employee doesn't know he is working here illegally in our country. They knew when they had jumped our border that they had broken the law.
True. But I could never swear that if I were in a position where I needed to make a choice between breaking the law in order to support my family or staying put and allowing my family to continue to live in poverty that I wouldn't do the same thing. I can empathize with some of these people, and I just can't blame them for trying to make their lives better. I think we instead need to go after the employers who hire them.

I know not everyone will agree, but that's how I feel.

Old 12-10-2009, 07:50 AM

Quote:
can't blame them for trying to make their lives better. I think we instead need to go after the employers who hire them.

I would be first in line. I can't blame the illegals. I do blame the employers and our government.

But now that they are here in masses of the invasion, it is time to take more dramatic measures to get them the hell out.

If Prez. IKE could do it in the 1950's, with very little resources, there is no doubt, it would be easier today in the age of the computer.

Old 12-10-2009, 07:50 AM

50,510 posts, read 47,285,378 times
Quote:
True. But I could never swear that if I were in a position where I needed to make a choice between breaking the law in order to support my family or staying put and allowing my family to continue to live in poverty that I wouldn't do the same thing. I can empathize with some of these people, and I just can't blame them for trying to make their lives better. I think we instead need to go after the employers who hire them.

I know not everyone will agree, but that's how I feel.

And I feel that this these people as a populace should not be a burden on US Citizens. Only a few businesses benefit from their work while the US taxpayer gets pummeled with taking care of all of their needs.

Can I blame them for wanting a better life? No.
Can I blame them for forcing me to subsidize their better life? Yes

Improving theirs takes away from ours.

The living conditions in Mexico and Guatemala, the two biggest participants in this bizarre human transfer game, haven't changed in 20 years so why are the residents of these Countries breeding at such a capacity thier finances can't keep up?

Personal responsibility.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:06 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,416,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Then those that are not working under the table are using fake SSNs. Somehow identity fraud makes it all better?
I never said it was good, just correcting your inaccurate statement that they aren't paying into federal and state taxes, because alot of them are.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:08 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,416,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
The 11 that never came back after E-verify at my Company all had max deductions taken out. That is 100% of them. Word travels fast in the criminal world.
You must be in HR then, how else would you have access to their W4's and W2's to see how many exemptions they had claimed.

Either way, that is far too small of a sample to speak for the entire undocumented working population. The cases I've seen have mainly claimed very few exemptions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration