Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 12:21 PM

1,802 posts, read 8,163,599 times

Advertisements

This came up on another forum, but it got me thinking. A lot of people move from state to state and go out of their way to avoid things like registering their cars in their new state of residence, getting a new driver's license, changing their address for insurance purposes, etc. Many who move into a state with an income tax from a state like Florida or Texas attempt to avoid income tax by continuing to use a relative's address in the other state (I know this as I've seen it first hand, having worked in a tax compliance state agency before my retirement). The reason given is that they'd have to pay to do any of these things, and they'd rather fly under the radar. Basically, they avoid paying for the privilege of living in that state. Yet, as residents of that state they enjoy all of the benefits that the tax base provides - roads, schools, police and fire protection, etc.

How is this any different from the major complaint people seem to have (whether accurate or not) that illegal aliens come into this country and avoid paying taxes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 12:41 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,649,482 times
Seriously?

You cannot think of any differences?

Old 12-09-2009, 12:45 PM

1,802 posts, read 8,163,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Seriously?

You cannot think of any differences?
I do not see a difference in someone who moves to another state and evades tax, and someone who moves to another country and evades tax - no. I was hoping to limit this discussion to this particular issue. I realize a lot of people on this forum have other reasons, whether legitimate or not, to dislike illegal aliens. I wanted to focus on what I see as the hypocrisy with some people who use this reason.

Old 12-09-2009, 01:15 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,564,938 times
If they intend to continue to drive their car, they may not register it or obtain a license in the state in which they currently reside, but they will have to eventually do so somewhere; same with auto insurance. Or, do these people drive with expired tags, licenses, and no insurance? Some jurisdictions also routinely check for out-of-state tags parked in apartment complexes and other residential areas. They are given a specified period to comply. Also, some residents may drop a dime.

Should I also assume they do not purchase homes in their new locations, or work? If they do work, and give an out-of-state address, the employer should question the legitimacy of their info. I certainly would. Unless you are a consultant or on temporary assignment, it’s kind of hard to state that your residence is CA if you are living and working in NY. There are also IRS laws applicable to such scenarios; and the IRS does in fact notify states. They may be surprised to discover that they have forfeited their federal refund due to their failure to satisfy their state obligations. However, it is common for one to live in MD for example, and work in either DC or VA. Of course, all three jurisdictions withhold taxes.

Furthermore, if they have children, they will not be permitted to attend a public school which is out of their district.

Illegal aliens are fleecing taxpayers, and sadly, many citizens do as well. Cheats and thieves come in all races and nationalities. However, two wrongs don’t make a right. So, to answer your question, I guess it doesn’t make a difference. They are all parasites, because they are supported by the taxes paid by others. Clearly, honesty and integrity are not their strong suits.

Old 12-09-2009, 01:47 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,375,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
If they intend to continue to drive their car, they may not register it or obtain a license in the state in which they currently reside, but they will have to eventually do so somewhere; same with auto insurance. Or, do these people drive with expired tags, licenses, and no insurance? Some jurisdictions also routinely check for out-of-state tags parked in apartment complexes and other residential areas. They are given a specified period to comply. Also, some residents may drop a dime.

Should I also assume they do not purchase homes in their new locations, or work? If they do work, and give an out-of-state address, the employer should question the legitimacy of their info. I certainly would. Unless you are a consultant or on temporary assignment, it’s kind of hard to state that your residence is CA if you are living and working in NY. There are also IRS laws applicable to such scenarios; and the IRS does in fact notify states. They may be surprised to discover that they have forfeited their federal refund due to their failure to satisfy their state obligations. However, it is common for one to live in MD for example, and work in either DC or VA. Of course, all three jurisdictions withhold taxes.

Furthermore, if they have children, they will not be permitted to attend a public school which is out of their district.

Illegal aliens are fleecing taxpayers, and sadly, many citizens do as well. Cheats and thieves come in all races and nationalities. However, two wrongs don’t make a right. So, to answer your question, I guess it doesn’t make a difference. They are all parasites, because they are supported by the taxes paid by others. Clearly, honesty and integrity are not their strong suits.
I agree, I think that both situations have some differences, but in both cases fraud is being committed. I wouldn't try to determine that one is worse or better than the other, they are both bad.

Old 12-09-2009, 01:49 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
How is this any different from the major complaint people seem to have (whether accurate or not) that illegal aliens come into this country and avoid paying taxes?

First I dont think it is a common belief that illegals come here for the purpose of avoiding taxes. That just seem to be a perk. Citizens can only go so long without renewing a DL or changing a car registration. As far as tax evasion, if you saw it, I would say they were busted. With citizens, eventually there are consequences to pay unless they do as illegals and split before their court date.

Old 12-09-2009, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post

First I dont think it is a common belief that illegals come here for the purpose of avoiding taxes. That just seem to be a perk. Citizens can only go so long without renewing a DL or changing a car registration. As far as tax evasion, if you saw it, I would say they were busted. With citizens, eventually there are consequences to pay unless they do as illegals and split before their court date.
Agreed, if it happens it is more of an externality than anything and I'm sure if most were allowed to file taxes in exchange for being documented that they most certainly would do that.

Old 12-09-2009, 03:18 PM

776 posts, read 1,275,930 times
Apparently George W. Bush did not think it mattered. He remained a resident of Texas during his eight years rather than becoming a resident of Washington D.C. He paid Texas state income taxes which were: zero. But the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. His dad did this too. 12 years of unpaid state income taxes for the Bush clan. Nice.

Old 12-09-2009, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey cabal View Post
Apparently George W. Bush did not think it mattered. He remained a resident of Texas during his eight years rather than becoming a resident of Washington D.C. He paid Texas state income taxes which were: zero. But the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. His dad did this too. 12 years of unpaid state income taxes for the Bush clan. Nice.
I wouldn't start trying to make direct comparisons between the Bush family and illegal immigrants, but if that was the case I would say that is wrong, since officially both were residents of Washington D.C. during their presidencies as is a requirement for any president.

Old 12-09-2009, 03:47 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,640,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey cabal View Post
Fine. Let's deport the bastards, you'll have no argument from me there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration