Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 10:25 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,305,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
nope, i dont feel stabbed in the back.

there are bigger problems in my community than illegals. most of them [illegals] arent bad. i say go after the rapists, drug dealers, murderers, molesters etc etc, and if they happen to be illegal, then voila! 2 birds with one stone.
There's not 200,000 rapist in some areas compared to 200,000 illegal immigrants that are contributing to various financial and social consequences. I also think that obviously our local law enforcement agencies are already doing a pretty good job at doing what they do: tackling crime that is happening, including locking up rapists and murderors. I don't see anything wrong with wondering why the crime of illegal immigration isn't also cracked down on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 10:32 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,305,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Do you feel stabbed in the back by illegal immigration and the government's handling of it?

My family came here in 1680, to start a new life in a land where opportunity existed. This is not unlike the plight of hispanic families now. Why should I dislike the hispanics for doing exactly what my family did (we also arrived without papers) also......why would I suspect the government capable of doing anything efficiently?
How come people say this like today is 1680? Also, this isn't just about "Hispanic" people. To me, "Hispanic" can mean my fellow "American," so I'm not thinking about "Hispanics." It's not 1680 and I don't understand why people try to justify illegal immigration by acting like we are all still coming into the United States and it is a vast, open, and underdeveloped land and there are no policies or laws of immigration to follow. If this was 1680, we'd realize that it was open land that needed to be developed and the population levels were totally different than what they are today. However, that is not the case: many areas are feeling the negative effects of huge illegal immigration populations and influx.

Sometimes I feel like people think that they could look outside their window and see boats, ships of people just looking to set up a new colony. It's not even like that anymore. Was there someone checking identification and documents then? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think so. Rightfully so, it was open territory then and it should have been, that's just the path of humanity and civilization that we experienced. But, it is today, we have developed, we have modern laws, we have a national border, we have an advanced system that allows us to be aware of population growth, an ability to predict the effects on infrastructure and it's not 1680. It's 2009, almost 2010 and we're not living like it is 1680.

Old 12-18-2009, 07:31 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
How come people say this like today is 1680? Also, this isn't just about "Hispanic" people. To me, "Hispanic" can mean my fellow "American," so I'm not thinking about "Hispanics." It's not 1680 and I don't understand why people try to justify illegal immigration by acting like we are all still coming into the United States and it is a vast, open, and underdeveloped land and there are no policies or laws of immigration to follow. If this was 1680, we'd realize that it was open land that needed to be developed and the population levels were totally different than what they are today. However, that is not the case: many areas are feeling the negative effects of huge illegal immigration populations and influx.

Sometimes I feel like people think that they could look outside their window and see boats, ships of people just looking to set up a new colony. It's not even like that anymore. Was there someone checking identification and documents then? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think so. Rightfully so, it was open territory then and it should have been, that's just the path of humanity and civilization that we experienced. But, it is today, we have developed, we have modern laws, we have a national border, we have an advanced system that allows us to be aware of population growth, an ability to predict the effects on infrastructure and it's not 1680. It's 2009, almost 2010 and we're not living like it is 1680.
Spot on! You'd think that anyone with a certain amount of reasonable intelligence could grasp this simple concept, wouldn't you? I guess not.

Old 12-18-2009, 08:29 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,373,570 times
Quote:
I don't know if I can agree with that. Why would they want to leave here? The illegal immigrants that I know have been here for at least 10 years or maybe 5 years or even as little as 3. The population is growing and my theory is that that of course will make them more interested in staying. Plus, the law of enforcement of laws make it even more profitable to stay here. In the case of Mexican illegal immigrants, you think they would leave here without any pressure to return to Mexico? If they are able to continue here while not being known of (as illegal residing and working here) then I don't think they are thinking about leaving.
I can only speak based on testimonials, Sam Quinones' journalistic work and from people I personnaly know. I know alot of them and almost none of them have plans to stay forever.

Old 12-18-2009, 10:29 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
I can only speak based on testimonials, Sam Quinones' journalistic work and from people I personnaly know. I know alot of them and almost none of them have plans to stay forever.
I doubt that those who have American born children are thinking of leaving. I wonder what the stats are on the number of them that fit that criteria?

Old 12-18-2009, 10:31 AM

50,294 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
I don't know if I can agree with that. Why would they want to leave here? The illegal immigrants that I know have been here for at least 10 years or maybe 5 years or even as little as 3. The population is growing and my theory is that that of course will make them more interested in staying. Plus, the law of enforcement of laws make it even more profitable to stay here. In the case of Mexican illegal immigrants, you think they would leave here without any pressure to return to Mexico? If they are able to continue here while not being known of (as illegal residing and working here) then I don't think they are thinking about leaving.
I work with many people whose families came here illegally and they aren't afraid to tell people about it either.

They have officially "gamed" the system. Social Services and everything.

Old 12-18-2009, 11:05 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,373,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I doubt that those who have American born children are thinking of leaving. I wonder what the stats are on the number of them that fit that criteria?
I couldn't tell you what the breakdown is but having lived in Mexico I know for a fact that people with American born kids moved back to Mexico. I actually dated a girl who was born in Florida and lived there until she was 9, then moved back to Mexico and lived there ever since. I also had students from two different families who were born in Chicago and had just recently moved back home where their parents opened up an auto repair business. From everything I gathered none of those families had any plans to move back to the US.

Old 12-18-2009, 11:11 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,562,484 times
Yes, I absolutely feel betrayed. When millions were amnestied in 1986, our government “promised” there would not be another amnesty of that magnitude. They even coined it as the “final” amnesty. They also “promised” our laws would be enforced, and our borders would be secured to prevent future illegal immigration. They did not honor even ONE of those promises. Why should we believe them now?

Furthermore, not only has the government reneged on their promises, they have actually encouraged illegal immigration by their failure to enforce our laws. Consequently, we now have 12-20+ million additional illegal aliens demanding another amnesty. This is utter insanity.

Old 12-18-2009, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Yeah, honestly I don't think amnesty is the way to go either, although I think it'd be better than doing nothing since it'd hold them more accountable for paying taxes, make sure they are licensed and insured to drive, etc. Despite what you hear, the majority of illegal immigrants in the country aren't interested in staying here. They just want to work their butt off for several years until they make enough money to build their house, start up a business, etc. back home. Some will then decide they like it here and stay, but there are alot who have other plans. I do think it's important to control the immigration problem first, with the most cost effective and proven way being to roll out E-verify to all companies nationwide and then effectively enforcing it and holding companies accountable. When that's done and we start to see an unmet demand for all of this unskilled low wage labor we could organize some kind of temporary-work visa which will tax the individuals in some way (obviously not with resident benfits like social security, medicare, etc.) and allow them to stay here as long as they are working. I think that would be a better overall solution.
I have to agree with you on the bolded section. I don’t believe most illegals truly desire citizenship. They simply want legalization. They want to have the legal right to work in this country, and to get as much as they can. I would even venture to say, they don’t even like this country. They simply perceive the U.S. as being ripe for the picking. In other words, we are being used. It also doesn’t hurt that they can give birth here and receive benefits through their US-born children.

Old 12-18-2009, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Are you really that confident that Americans would be in line to fill all those vacant jobs? It is really difficult to say but I kind of doubt that would be the case for all of them, the nation would likely very suddenly have a major labor shortage crisis for low paying jobs and the current legal immigration system is far too slow to be able to fill those labor needs in a timely fashion.

I agree that amnesty isn't the preferred solution, but I don't see eye to eye with you in regards to population growth. When the population grows so does tax collection, we just use the increased taxes to increase services, pretty simple. I think population growth is necessary to continue to grow the US economy so we can continue to compete on the global scale. If you look the US as a whole it isn't very population dense at all, we have tons of space for more people.
Not necessarily. If we have an increase in uneducated and low-skilled populations, we will not add much if any to the tax base. We would simply have more people to add to our welfare rolls; thus, a greater burden on the taxpayers of this country. On the other hand, if we had millions of educated and skilled immigrants, then yes, they would be an asset. The illegals currently residing in this country are by no means the cream of the crop. They are, and would continue to be, a burden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration