Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 03:09 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times

Advertisements

Man faces deportation over 1994 theft conviction -- dailypress.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2008, 03:15 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
That Brit should have gone for his US citizenship 18 years ago.

In all fairness; what does bother me is his crime/conviction when he was age 21 should have been grandfathered in penalty wise instead of inflicting a harsher one after the fact.

Old 09-27-2008, 03:19 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,750,800 times
Lets see if I've got this right.

Illegal aliens can rack up DUI's, felonies, etc. and never even have their immigration status checked until they finally kill somebody and this guy, who is in this country legally, guilty only in the fact that he was in the same car as the thief, is being deported.

Our government is completely back asswards.

Old 09-27-2008, 03:30 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Lets see if I've got this right.

Illegal aliens can rack up DUI's, felonies, etc. and never even have their immigration status checked until they finally kill somebody and this guy, who is in this country legally, guilty only in the fact that he was in the same car as the thief, is being deported.

Our government is completely back asswards.
What really bothers me is, why didnt you deport him when he was convicted?

Old 09-28-2008, 12:40 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
What really bothers me is, why didnt you deport him when he was convicted?
That's when it should have been done.

Old 09-28-2008, 12:44 AM

1,372 posts, read 3,765,635 times
Wouldn't 'Deportation" be the END of your life if you were an immigrant??? Honestly, you built a family, job/career/business and then you get sent back home!!!

I guess we need more than the threat of deportation to get these hispanic gang bangers to R-E-S-P-E-C-T our country

Old 03-25-2010, 09:39 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,405,309 times
Well, since almost everyone in this country is an immigrant, some people who have only been here for a few generations at that, I hope I don't have to see more terms like the one in the previous post. Most "Hispanics" are Native Americans.

Anyway, as a first generation immigrant, I have what I hope is an interesting POV on the "deportation" issue.

Example: A foreign-born kid grows up in the US. The kid falls into the wrong company--which it seems may be easier to do in the US at least as far as drugs and guns goes than the Caribbean has historically been. This kid speaks profanity, kills people and in general has an anti-social Gangster culture and mentality.

Upon incarceration, this person is shipped back to his "native" land. Since he was a drug dealer or whatever in the US, he has no idea how to do anything useful (like build a house, farm, bribe officials etc) to survive in his native land. All he knows how to do is use bad words, shoot innocent people and sell illegal substances...

Even WORSE in the Caribbean region:
1. The government has no checks to identify these people on re-entry.
2. The Caribbean has an open policy for immigration to different islands.

The effect has been a rise in violent crime on many islands as these criminals who should be rightly jailed or re-programmed upon re-entry slip through the cracks and corrupt the youth and culture of the islands with the only lifestyle they know.

I think the "parent" countries and the US need to do a better job sharing information when violent offenders are deported to their "homeland." They should be deported, but not just allowed to roam freely in society.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:27 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Well, since almost everyone in this country is an immigrant, some people who have only been here for a few generations at that, I hope I don't have to see more terms like the one in the previous post. Most "Hispanics" are Native Americans.

Anyway, as a first generation immigrant, I have what I hope is an interesting POV on the "deportation" issue.

Example: A foreign-born kid grows up in the US. The kid falls into the wrong company--which it seems may be easier to do in the US at least as far as drugs and guns goes than the Caribbean has historically been. This kid speaks profanity, kills people and in general has an anti-social Gangster culture and mentality.

Upon incarceration, this person is shipped back to his "native" land. Since he was a drug dealer or whatever in the US, he has no idea how to do anything useful (like build a house, farm, bribe officials etc) to survive in his native land. All he knows how to do is use bad words, shoot innocent people and sell illegal substances...

Even WORSE in the Caribbean region:
1. The government has no checks to identify these people on re-entry.
2. The Caribbean has an open policy for immigration to different islands.

The effect has been a rise in violent crime on many islands as these criminals who should be rightly jailed or re-programmed upon re-entry slip through the cracks and corrupt the youth and culture of the islands with the only lifestyle they know.

I think the "parent" countries and the US need to do a better job sharing information when violent offenders are deported to their "homeland." They should be deported, but not just allowed to roam freely in society.
Since all human beings can trace their DNA to E Africa; even the Indians are 'immigrants'. Needless to say: the USA is now a sovereign nation and we have the right to control our borders. Besides; the Comanche, etc. were not exactly 'nice' to trespassers on their lands i.e. other Indians (Mexican variety or not). The Euros from 1492 onwards were simply bigger and badder 'Indians', nothing more.

As for your hypothetical Caribbean alien; that is not our problem if he is here illegally and gets tossed out. And if he came here legally; till he receives his citizenship, he needs to watch his manners----------or else.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:28 AM

4,803 posts, read 8,750,800 times
Most "Hispanics" may have Native American ancestry, but are not fully Native American. Many Americans have Native American ancestry, me included. So what?

The word "Hispanic" by it's very terminology denotes at least a modicum of European ancestry.

Nearly everyone in this country is not an immigrant but all, including Native Americans, are a by-product of immigration/migration. There are no indigenous people on this or any other continent other than Africa.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:38 AM

3,854 posts, read 4,836,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Since all human beings can trace their DNA to E Africa; even the Indians are 'immigrants'. Needless to say: the USA is now a sovereign nation and we have the right to control our borders. Besides; the Comanche, etc. were not exactly 'nice' to trespassers on their lands i.e. other Indians (Mexican variety or not). The Euros from 1492 onwards were simply bigger and badder 'Indians', nothing more.

As for your hypothetical Caribbean alien; that is not our problem if he is here illegally and gets tossed out. And if he came here legally; till he receives his citizenship, he needs to watch his manners----------or else.

The Euros from 1492 onwards were simply bigger and badder 'Indians', nothing more
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration