Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 02:06 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,569,444 times

Advertisements

Does the bolded red sentence sound like a threat?

Quote:
“I only bought clothes for her once a year, when my tax refund check came,” Dolores Contreras explains. “Now she needs shoes, and I had to tell her we didn’t have any money. I stopped the cable and the internet she needs for school. When my cell phone contract is up next month, I’ll stop that too. I’ve never had enough money for a car, and now we’ve gone three months without paying the light bill.”

Contreras shares her misery with eighteen hundred other families. All lost their jobs when their employer, American Apparel, fired them for lacking immigration status.

“President Obama is responsible for putting us in this situation,” she charges angrily. “This is worse than an immigration raid. They want to keep us from working at all.”

The current firings highlight larger questions of immigration enforcement policy. “These workers have not only done nothing wrong, they’ve spent years making the company rich. No one ever called company profits illegal, or says they should give them back to the workers. So why are the workers called illegal?” asks Nativo Lopez, director of the Hermandad Mexicana Latinoamericana.

Nativo Lopez says he’ll organize the workers being fired if unions won’t, although recently he also expressed a desire for greater cooperation with the UFCW in the defense of fired workers. Last year the Hermandad began setting up workers’ councils in southern California neighborhoods, to oppose employer sanctions and help workers resist them. “If companies start firing people as they have here, this place will look like a war zone,” he warns, “but if we fight to defend people, we can organize them.”
Mass Firings – The New Face of Immigration Raids | La Prensa San Diego
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 02:31 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,844,587 times
Oh, boo hoo, my heart bleeds for her (not)

so they got fired (welcome to the world of 10% of LEGAL Americans/residents)

Why were they not DEPORTED ????????

snip - they've done nothing wrong - ??? excuse me ???????? they're here ILLEGALLY

Old 12-30-2009, 03:27 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,145,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Bring it on; Nativo Lopez! Maybe this is what it will take to start with forced mass deportations of illegal aliens, you insolent loser.

Old 12-30-2009, 03:39 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,324,534 times
Quote:
This anti-American, ethnocentric POS needs to be tried for treason.

Old 12-30-2009, 03:43 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,229,680 times
Well I guess it sucks to be a criminal says it all.
This is the life they chose. The life filled with such risks the opted for when they decided not to apply for a VISA before entering.Its a shame the kids have to pay the price for their parents criminal behavior.
Now in order to file taxes one must have some documentation. In this regard I think its safe to assume hers were not valid. IE ID theft perhaps.

Old 12-30-2009, 04:18 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
Quote:
War zone? You know what, getting our military involved would be a great idea

Old 12-30-2009, 04:37 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,793,628 times
The current firings highlight larger questions of immigration enforcement policy. “These workers have not only done nothing wrong, they’ve spent years making the company rich. No one ever called company profits illegal, or says they should give them back to the workers. So why are the workers called illegal?” asks Nativo Lopez, director of the Hermandad Mexicana Latinoamericana.

Duh!!!! Doesn't this just make you sick!!

In reference to "a war zone", I agree wirh arizona, bring it on!!!! Maybe we'll finally wake up those morons in Washington and wake up the rest of those Americans in denial about this invasion. Now this is change I can get behind!

Old 12-30-2009, 04:39 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,397,060 times
Kudos to Obama for stepping up and continuing/expanding policies to enforcing the law.

Old 12-30-2009, 04:46 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,793,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Kudos to Obama for stepping up and continuing/expanding policies to enforcing the law.
I agree, but it makes you wonder, is our voices possibly finally being heard? I just have no faith that this guy (Obama) would ever do the right thing by us (Americans) on his own!

Sorry, I don't mean to be political but this last year has erased my last grain of hope for our current government stepping up".

Old 12-30-2009, 07:19 PM

706 posts, read 940,555 times
“If companies start firing people as they have here, this place will look like a war zone,” he warns

Larry Lopez is nothing more than a discredited activist and former politician. He is doing nothing more than trying to give himself some relevence again by "stirring the pot" and agitating those illegal aliens who were legally fired.

And, remember Larry.....if it does, indeed, turn into a "war zone" You will have been the one who fired the first shot....And, I suspect that You will be nowhere near that zone..

Was this "interview" done or printed in any othe news outlets or just La Prensa ?

"La Prensa San Diego views the news and events through a Hispanic/Chicano perspective or as we like to say through our ‘Brown Eyes’. We invite you to view our pages. We also invite letters and opinions for publication on both the Web and in our newspaper."

About | La Prensa San Diego
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration