Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2010, 11:07 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,907,996 times

Advertisements

I also disagree with that last statement. You don't see that resistance to assimilation in all groups. I personally know many people from Hong Kong, India, Poland, Germany, Pakistan who speak English and most of them are quite assimilated either before arriving or within a short time.

I know you disagree, but the numbers say otherwise. 88% speak English fluently. That number rises to almost universal by third generation.

Someone who immigrates for the right reason, immigrates to be an American, they want to be American, they like our culture, want to fit in. Some people yearned all their lives to come here and be a part of our country and those are the people who should come here. Not those who resist assimilation and refuse to learn anything.

My mother is still fiercely Ivorian. My neighbor is VERY Aruban. The old lady up the street is quite German. They don't want to be solely American. They want to retain some of their cultural identity, which completely acceptable.

A motivated adult can learn a foreign language within a few months, yet we see many people living here 20, 30, 40, 50 years without being able to speak one sentence in English. They even require someone speak to them in Spanish at the welfare offices.

Typically the biggest difference is socio-economic. Those that have relatively less resources available are less likely to be fluent. Middle income immigrants are more likely to be fluent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 09:32 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,501,624 times
Default Are most Mexicans you see really... illegally here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LZKay1 View Post
I don' understand how American cities, particulary those in California, can change so fast so quickly. How could there suddenly be more Mexicans than any other people? That doesn't make sense... nor is it diversity... nor is it right.

Are most Mexicans you see in this country really illegal?

Where are you standing when l(o)(o)king for Mexicans? If you are looking for Mexicans on bikes, buses and cooking at McDonalds, then yes the majority of them are probably illegal.

If you are looking for Mexicans driving decent cars, working in an office and living in middle class areas, probably no. If they speak good English they are probably not illegal (not always though).

I would say having Mexican family here, I know I have cousins and distant relatives here illegally (I do not condone this). Personally on the street I meet about 50/50 Legal/Illegal. Many of whom I have spoke to are heading back to Mexico now because it has become too hard to live here. Some have kids in school, and will risk it all.

Statistically, there was a census that stated 70% of Mexicans in California are legal, that was heavily debated here on CD and around the web:

US Census says, 70% of Mexicans in California are U.S. citizens

Last edited by Mach50; 01-11-2010 at 09:47 AM.. Reason: Fixed spelling.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:40 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Where are you standing when l(o)(o)king for Mexicans? If you are looking for Mexicans on bikes, buses and cooking at McDonalds, then yes the majority of them are probably illegal.

If you are looking for Mexicans driving decent cars, working in an office and living in middle class areas, probably no.

I would say having Mexican family here, I know I have cousins and distant relatives here illegally (I do not condone this). Personally on the street I meet about 50/50 Legal/Illegal. Many of whom I have spoke to are heading back to Mexico now because it has become to hard too live here. Some have kids in school, and will risk it all.

Statistically, where was a census a while back that stated 70% of Mexicans in California are legal, that was heavily debated here on CD and around the web:

Makes perfect sense to me. Are all Mexicans in California illegal?....of COURSE they're not. Is there a valid correlation between Mexicans in California and the presence of a very large number of illegals?....of COURSE there is.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:20 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
Quote:
If you are looking for Mexicans driving decent cars, working in an office and living in middle class areas, probably no. If they speak good English they are probably not illegal (not always though).
Not true. I hate to reinforce the rumor that MOST are illegal but I will say that the illegal ones do not fit any stereotype. I personally know many Mexicans who come from the typical middle class stereotypical lifestyle. They have admitted to me that they were illegal. One girl told me that her and her family came over illegally and they are hoping for amnesty because her family now owns a nice house and have built a life for themselves...illegally and they speak English very well. You'd never know they were illegal if they didn't tell you.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:32 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post

I would say having Mexican family here, I know I have cousins and distant relatives here illegally (I do not condone this). Personally on the street I meet about 50/50 Legal/Illegal. Many of whom I have spoke to are heading back to Mexico now because it has become too hard to live here. Some have kids in school, and will risk it all.

Statistically, there was a census that stated 70% of Mexicans in California are legal, that was heavily debated here on CD and around the web:

A fair and reasonable post.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:49 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,501,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Not true. I hate to reinforce the rumor that MOST are illegal but I will say that the illegal ones do not fit any stereotype. I personally know many Mexicans who come from the typical middle class stereotypical lifestyle. They have admitted to me that they were illegal. One girl told me that her and her family came over illegally and they are hoping for amnesty because her family now owns a nice house and have built a life for themselves...illegally and they speak English very well. You'd never know they were illegal if they didn't tell you.
There is no true or false in my statement, since I wasn't speaking in absolutes, I said "probably no" and "not always" with no finality. Your opinion is just as true as mine, thanks for posting it. I do know some middle class "normal American" illegals as well, but I think the majority are legal, that's my experience.

Old 01-11-2010, 03:44 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,319,763 times
I don't really understand the hatred of Mexicans in our country. Put yourself in their shoes. If you could move to a different county and be able to do better for yourself and your family, would you? Also, if we don't want illigal immigrants from any country that has to be a government issue. The government needs to tighten up our borders, punish people that don't follow the hiring laws, quit giving government services to people who aren't citizens. However, we as citizens do not need to treat people from other countries badly. Don't most of you have friends, co-workers, or family members with different ethnic backgrounds? If not, where do you live? The only country I have read about that seems to try to keep their racial purity is Iceland, and how ridiculous is that?

Old 01-11-2010, 03:50 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smel View Post
I don't really understand the hatred of Mexicans in our country. Put yourself in their shoes. If you could move to a different county and be able to do better for yourself and your family, would you? Also, if we don't want illigal immigrants from any country that has to be a government issue. The government needs to tighten up our borders, punish people that don't follow the hiring laws, quit giving government services to people who aren't citizens. However, we as citizens do not need to treat people from other countries badly. Don't most of you have friends, co-workers, or family members with different ethnic backgrounds? If not, where do you live? The only country I have read about that seems to try to keep their racial purity is Iceland, and how ridiculous is that?
God Bless You....I believe Korea is 'racially pure', as well as Iceland. This gives me much to think about, next time I consider the problems associated with illegal immigration.

Old 01-11-2010, 04:08 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Quote:
Ah the bold part. It is this that so many Illegals and their facilitators are protesting.
Most anti-illegals are against them because of the fact that illegals have no respect for our laws or our rights as a nation to decide who we allow to enter.
Your analogy applied to your home.
Would you open your arms to someone who broke into your home and began taking your possesions for personal use? What if the person in question lived in a shabby house? Yours is much nicer so somehow you owe it to them to help themselves to your hard earned possesions?
Say what you will but I think not.

Old 01-11-2010, 05:24 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,320,782 times
Quote:
I get so sick of hearing the word hate associated with illegal immigration. It has not place in the discussion of it. No, I would not move to another country ILLEGALLY! So since our government has failed to enforce our immigration laws and secure our borders we should just shut up about it?

Who is treating anyone badly? By demanding that illegals be deported as our laws state, is treating someone badly? What does different ethnic backgrounds have to do with this issue? It is about our laws! No one is seeking racial purity either. How can you make a statement like that when we are among one of the most racial and ethnic diverse countries in the world already? Please educate yourself, I am getting a headache reading this kind of nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration