Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 05:13 AM

50,294 posts, read 47,056,299 times

Advertisements

UW prez endorses college for undocumented students - Seattle News - MyNorthwest.com

some feed back from the locals

Northwest Voices | Illegal immigrants' children in schools | Seattle Times Newspaper
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 06:46 AM

2,205 posts, read 2,536,684 times
I could not and still do not understand the reasoning behind decisions like this. It seems so different than what Americans are saying. If illegals scream how underpaid they are, can barely afford a living here, how in the world are "loans" being paid back? Oh, they won't be. Getting a loan for my daughter to further her education was near impossible because although we made enough money to cover bills, we had not the funds to continue with her education. Even as she lived on her own, they still used our income as a deciding factor. So I figure illegals will be given the loans based on sole poverty as using any family asset will not be available for viewing since thier parents are probably illegal as well. And if they list an income on the poverty level, why would anyone give them a loan? Isn't that partly why/how our economy collapsed just recently? It just doesn't make any sense and is certainly not fair to those of us who play by the rules.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:15 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,435,268 times
Not going to happen - if enough of us put our support behind this:

POLITICS BLOG: Congress takes aim at blocking illegal immigrants from accessing in-state college tuition - Pittsburg, KS - Morning Sun

WASHINGTON—A new development has taken place in the ongoing battle to stop illegal immigrants from receiving taxpayer-subsidized college tuition. This week a bill was introduced by U.S. Congressman Todd Tiahrt (R-Kan.) and U.S. Congressman Brian Bilbray (R-Calif.) called the Fairness for American Students Act that would close a loophole in current law that several states have used to provide lower-cost college tuition to illegal immigrants compared to tuition rates U.S. citizens from neighboring states have to pay.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:20 PM

Thank god someone is listening! It still infuriates me the arrogance of even a proposed endorsement.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:21 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
the reason the illegals are here is bek our government is ok wth illegal.
when the law breaks the law there is no law, billy jack 1971.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:42 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
The title of the OP says "well off" so I'm assuming they can pay back any loans they take. No financial aid however. I would also want well off, highly intelligent individuals in my school who we don't have to pay for. It's just common sense.

It seems like the people making comments in the second link really didn't read or understand the first article.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
The title of the OP says "well off" so I'm assuming they can pay back any loans they take. No financial aid however. I would also want well off, highly intelligent individuals in my school who we don't have to pay for. It's just common sense.

It seems like the people making comments in the second link really didn't read or understand the first article.

Yeah, I caught that after I posted...If ANYONE who is here LEGALLY can pay for college via regular loan or following the already rules...go for it! I don't understand the necessity for special treatment.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:44 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:

Unless said individuals have a visa to be here in the USA they need to be in a jail cell (or detention camp) prior to their expulsion instead of an American classroom.

Old 01-29-2010, 03:54 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Unless said individuals have a visa to be here in the USA they need to be in a jail cell (or detention camp) prior to their expulsion instead of an American classroom.
Totally disagree if they were brought here as kids and grew up as American as you and yours. Sorry but there has to be common sense involved which, for some people, get's lost in their fear and hatred. I want to do something drastic about the illegal immigrants too but rounding up my kids friends (hypothetically...they are college age) and putting them in jail isn't going to fly. Especially if they are more intelligent and academically driven than my kids.

Old 01-29-2010, 04:05 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,320,782 times
Quote:
Totally disagree if they were brought here as kids and grew up as American as you and yours. Sorry but there has to be common sense involved which, for some people, get's lost in their fear and hatred. I want to do something drastic about the illegal immigrants too but rounding up my kids friends (hypothetically...they are college age) and putting them in jail isn't going to fly. Especially if they are more intelligent and academically driven than my kids.
Oh boy, out marches those words of hate and fear attached to illegal immigration again when those emotions have nothing to do with opposition to illegal immigration.

Those kids don't need go to jail. They have received a free k-12 education already in our country. There are colleges in their homelands. Let them go back with their illegal parents to their real homeland and finish their educations there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration