Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2010, 10:34 PM

2,104 posts, read 1,443,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Do you really believe that the Obama administration has the power to do that? Look out secession if they do.
Your humor meter is broken, "Roy".

Old 04-23-2010, 10:38 PM

2,347 posts, read 2,785,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Do you really believe that the Obama administration has the power to do that? Look out secession if they do.
Do you think I care whether or not AZ is even a state? It's a flippin' desert.

But Obama and the Justice department will be taking this the court, it is blantantly unconstitutional.

And the fact that it was signed into law, the fact that it was proposed, and those who voted for it probably should be brought up on sedition charges.

The Republican Party just sealed it's own coffin, imho.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:58 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,386,447 times
For the record - here is a commentary on Mexican immigration law - for a comparison... [newswithviews.com]
John W. Slagle -- Mexico's Immigration Laws and Illegal Aliens

and another
http://www.canadafreepress.com/2007/lillpop022707.htm

Last edited by R_Cowgirl; 04-23-2010 at 11:20 PM..

Old 04-24-2010, 12:22 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,846,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
I did a fast run through of the bill and I could not find where the officers are allowed to stop you on the street and ask you your immigrant status without probable cause. The law did include:

If you are stopped and produce a drivers license then you have shown proper ID (according to reports this type of ID would be enough to prove residency). Now if you are stopped while driving and have no ID, you have already broke the law by not having any ID and this allows the officer to investigate further.

Now other scenarios will have to be worked out on how not to violate the cilvil rights, but my guess it would include only persons who have been stpped for committing or suspecting of committing other crimes.
Just this week, as I posted earlier in this thread, a truck driver at a weigh station in Arizona produced his commercial truck license and other identification. He was still arrested. He was detained until his wife was able to get his birth certificate to were he was being held. He hadn't broken any law, nor was he charged with breaking any law. This was before the current law was signed. I can't see how this would be any better now.

Old 04-24-2010, 12:39 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,324,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
Just this week, as I posted earlier in this thread, a truck driver at a weigh station in Arizona produced his commercial truck license and other identification. He was still arrested. He was detained until his wife was able to get his birth certificate to were he was being held. He hadn't broken any law, nor was he charged with breaking any law. This was before the current law was signed. I can't see how this would be any better now.
I still say you can better identify yourself with a mirror than with a birth certificate.

How many birth certificates will show tattoos, and correct hair color, by comparison.

Should the wife also be required to use a mirror to be a credible witness?

Wouldn't she need a marriage license, with wedding pictures of her and her husband's birth certificates?

Trust, but verify, that's what Reagan always said.

I always like to keep the phone number of my attending physician handy, just in case I ever need a qualified eye witness account of my birth.

Old 04-24-2010, 10:08 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acapemont View Post
You are not required to answer any questions or identify yourself (if you are not operating a vehicle) during a Terry stop. A Terry stop merely allows an officer to conduct a pat down for their own safety. Furthermore, they can only advance beyond a basic pat down if they feel something that could be a knife or gun (i.e. even if they feel a baggy they can not search your pocket visibly because the baggy could not be a weapon). In this sense, Terry - even if the law was specific enough - wouldn't constitutionally justify a stop with the intent to require documents from a person or any search beyond a safety pat down.
Incorrect.

Quote:
A. It is unlawful for a person, after being advised that the person's refusal to answer is unlawful, to fail or refuse to state the person's true full name on request of a peace officer who has lawfully detained the person based on reasonable suspicion that the person has committed, is committing or is about to commit a crime. A person detained under this section shall state the person's true full name, but shall not be compelled to answer any other inquiry of a peace officer.

B. A person who violates this section is guilty of a class 2 misdemeanor.

Source: Arizona Statute 13-2412 - Refusing to provide truthful name when lawfully detained; classification
In Hiibel v. Sixth Judicial District Court of Nevada, 542 U.S. 177 (2004), the Supreme Court held that such laws did not violate the 4th Amendment prohibition on unreasonable searches and seizures or the 5th Amendment privilege against self-incrimination.

Old 04-24-2010, 11:01 AM

37,972 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Does this apply to criminals and law breakers - cause that's what these people are.
To people with blinders on, of course it does. If crimes are being committed by criminals of specific description, then the blinders crowd who cry and wail, if the police stopped to question anyone who fits the descriptions of those criminals.

Last edited by Wapasha; 04-24-2010 at 11:12 AM..

Old 04-24-2010, 11:16 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
Russell Pearce (author of the bill) is very suspect.
Just because he is tied to the Nazi Party? in Arizona that's a plus.

The worst part is that this is all just to divert attention from the fact that they are raising taxes

Monitors, I could find no copywright violation here, if I am wrong please delete it rather than issue me a violation a month down the road, again

Last edited by Boompa; 04-24-2010 at 11:57 AM..

Old 04-24-2010, 11:34 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,795,499 times
Just watch - now we will have a bunch of fat good ole boys running around as "militias" to round up hispanics and bring them in.

And since everyone in Arizona already is packing we are going to have a lot of dead people pretty soon.

Old 04-24-2010, 11:53 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,342,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
Just watch - now we will have a bunch of fat good ole boys running around as "militias" to round up hispanics and bring them in.

And since everyone in Arizona already is packing we are going to have a lot of dead people pretty soon.
Geezus. I never thought of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration