Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 05:21 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,306,483 times

Advertisements

I was looking on YouTube for something else and I came across this. I see a lot of people talk about how Hispanics who are here legally are usually on the side of the illegal immigrants and this video pretty much shows the train of thought. People argue that a lot of "Mexican-Americans" could care less about the US and this is a live, on-the-street example of that mindset. Illegal immigrants are "their people." Someone here tried to say that Mexican-Americans don't consider themselves Mexican or don't pledge allegiance to Mexico. Well, even when they are citizens of the US, they pledge allegiance to Mexico. There was a poll done in CA that said that like 80% of Mexican-Americans consider themselves Mexicans.

YouTube - Palmdale Anti-Illegal Immigration Rally; The Racist

What do you guys think about illegal immigration supporters like this lady? I applaud the guy interviewing.

This lady just doesn't get the whole point of how people who are legally here are spending money on illegal immigration. I love when they try to talk about legal residents and how they may need assistance. Well, you know what, they are legally here and have rights to that assistance. Check out the comments on that YouTube page as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 05:24 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,306,483 times
"We live off of them." LOL "They're working."

Another thing, the point that I wanted to make with this video is: why do people who support illegal immigration think that just because illegal immigrants, SOMETIMES, receive low wages makes it all OK. They are still taking the job from a legal resident and she is right, a legal resident isn't going to settle for getting less than what a job should be paying. They don't get it: if an illegal immigrant wasn't there to take that job, the employer would have no choice but to meet minimum wage jobs and to be fair to an employee and give appropriate pay.

Old 05-10-2010, 06:01 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
I was looking on YouTube for something else and I came across this. I see a lot of people talk about how Hispanics who are here legally are usually on the side of the illegal immigrants and this video pretty much shows the train of thought. People argue that a lot of "Mexican-Americans" could care less about the US and this is a live, on-the-street example of that mindset. Illegal immigrants are "their people." Someone here tried to say that Mexican-Americans don't consider themselves Mexican or don't pledge allegiance to Mexico. Well, even when they are citizens of the US, they pledge allegiance to Mexico. There was a poll done in CA that said that like 80% of Mexican-Americans consider themselves Mexicans.

[.
A very predictable outgrowth of our 35-year old (or so) love affair with 'multiculturalism'. Whereas once, various groups of Americans were 'pushed' and pressured into a 'melting pot' (assimilation), for the past few decades we've been told to "celebrate our differences", and to revel in the fact that our 'tribe' (group) is "special" and unique.

Cultures are NOT inclined to value 'others' over themselves, and cultures can, and do, "clash" on many points, large and small.

In this sense, illegals ARE the same 'tribe' as Mexican-Americans....and since Mexican-Americans are no longer pressured to "feel like" Americans (and neither is anyone ELSE), it's only natural that they should "feel like" Mexicans..that's what you get when you encourage 330 million people (American citizens) to 'Celebrate their Differences'. This on ONE example of just how "different" some of us can feel.

Will multiculturalism work? No one knows, since the whole concept is only a few years old. But in a multi-racial, multi-ethnic 'conglomerated' society of 330 million people, it seems to me we might think about once again trying to find some way to "celebrate our similarities"....we'll need it. The 'differences' will take care of themselves. Otherwise, when differences are emphasized, this is what you get....dozens of 'different' groups, each seeing themselves as part of a 'tribe', and not particularly close to the others. And in this sense, then Mexican-Americans, intent on emphasizing their 'tribe', are going to feel more bond with Mexicans than with their felow US citizens. That's what "differences" means...."I'm not like you...I'm DIFFERENT".

Interesting idea in High School.....BAD idea for running a society of adults.

Old 05-10-2010, 06:09 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,320,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
A very predictable outgrowth of our 35-year old (or so) love affair with 'multiculturalism'. Whereas once, various groups of Americans were 'pushed' and pressured into a 'melting pot' (assimilation), for the past few decades we've been told to "celebrate our differences", and to revel in the fact that our 'tribe' (group) is "special" and unique.

Cultures are NOT inclined to value 'others' over themselves, and cultures can, and do, "clash" on many points, large and small.

In this sense, illegals ARE the same 'tribe' as Mexican-Americans....and since Mexican-Americans are no longer pressured to "feel like" Americans (and neither is anyone ELSE), it's only natural that they should "feel like" Mexicans..that's what you get when you encourage 330 million people (American citizens) to 'Celebrate their Differences'. This on ONE example of just how "different" some of us can feel.

Will multiculturalism work? No one knows, since the whole concept is only a few years old. But in a multi-racial, multi-ethnic 'conglomerated' society of 330 million people, it seems to me we might think about once again trying to find some way to "celebrate our similarities"....we'll need it. The 'differences' will take care of themselves. Otherwise, when differences are emphasized, this is what you get....dozens of 'different' groups, each seeing themselves as part of a 'tribe', and not particularly close to the others. And in this sense, then Mexican-Americans, intent on emphasizing their 'tribe', are going to feel more bond with Mexicans than with their felow US citizens. That's what "differences" means...."I'm not like you...I'm DIFFERENT".

Excellent post, Macmeal!

Old 05-10-2010, 06:54 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post

YouTube - Palmdale Anti-Illegal Immigration Rally; The Racist

What do you guys think about illegal immigration supporters like this lady? I applaud the guy interviewing.

This lady just doesn't get the whole point of how people who are legally here are spending money on illegal immigration. I love when they try to talk about legal residents and how they may need assistance. Well, you know what, they are legally here and have rights to that assistance. Check out the comments on that YouTube page as well.
In southern Calif, my experience was that many of the mexican americans were in fact the sons or dtrs of mexican immigrants (legal & illegal) whil most in my native texas have been here for several generations and are more americanized. I am FOR the new Ariz law and want to give them the chance to use it. if it leads to extensive harassment for mexican americans, that's another story.

man, the illegals should have picked a more attractive, well spoken person to help them out. that girl was very stupid and looked likea donkey's butt

Old 05-10-2010, 07:01 PM

1,213 posts, read 1,632,253 times
How is it diversity when 1/10th of the entire country of Mexico is in the US illegally. Just a bunch of little Mexicos springing up everywhere.

Old 05-10-2010, 07:08 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,320,782 times
Watching this video I know from experience that there are many Americans of Mexican descent in this country who think exactly like this woman does. They are tribally ethnocentric who put their ethnic group above the laws of this country. Their loyalty is to Mexicans and Mexico, not this country. And we should legalize 12 million or more just like her?

Old 05-10-2010, 07:23 PM

3,854 posts, read 4,836,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Watching this video I know from experience that there are many Americans of Mexican descent in this country who think exactly like this woman does. They are tribally ethnocentric who put their ethnic group above the laws of this country. Their loyalty is to Mexicans and Mexico, not this country. And we should legalize 12 million or more just like her?
Just like what? She said she was an American citizen, how can you "legalize" a foreigner to be a Natural born citizen?

Whatever her views, she is still allowed to express them.

Old 05-10-2010, 07:33 PM

515 posts, read 716,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post

"Multiculturalism" and "celebrating diversity" are nothing but code words for

DIVIDE AND CONQUER.

Old 05-10-2010, 07:38 PM

706 posts, read 940,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogday View Post
So are you saying we shouldn't celebrate our diversity, and go back to America's Apartheid days?
Perhaps we ( Americans) should celebrate our unity first.....especially at a times like these when we seem only celebrate that which divides us.

Unless, of course, You prefer the divisiveness.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration