Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2010, 09:42 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,266,813 times

Advertisements

FINALLY! Illinois has entered the 21st century by accepting reservations at all facilities via the web.
Current Focus : New Online Campsite and Shelter Reservation System Opens July 7
Now I can camp in Illinois instead of going to WI, IN or MI.
Why? Because I refuse to drive several hours with the camper unless I am guaranteed a camp site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 07:30 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,269,957 times
i would think with all the state parks in Illinois camping that finding RV parking would not be a problem - but I am going to qualify my statment by stating I can't camp. Maybe off-season is easier?. .

Old 08-24-2010, 09:37 AM

linicx, you are absolutely correct that often it is not a problem at the less visited parks. But Starved Rock is at least 90 minutes and So. IL is a 4-5 hour drive. I am not willing to take a chance, especially since I perceive Starved Rock and downstate parks like Pere Marquette and Garden of the Gods to be more popular destinations. I also like choosing my location and determining if I want an electric or non-electric site. With the distances and time involved reservations are essential.

Old 08-25-2010, 03:58 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,269,957 times
What do you like to do when you camp? Hike and bike, fish, birding, boating, historic places, museums? festivals? RV near things for kids to do, kids educatoional sites, kid size sportsl? Do you want to be within a reasonable distance of grocery stores and other services?

I like big, accesible, awesome parks not too far from conveniences. Unfortunately, it is imossible with some of the parks to find a place to primitive camp or RV within 20 miles of anything I like to do.

I think it is a sad statement to find a park that is awesome but it only accessable by water or car.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:23 AM

I/we like to have a medium sized campsite for our pop-up camper preferably electric. Prefer sites that have some privacy between them. Don't want to be in the land of "house trucks" and gargantuan trailers listening to their A/C units drone on endlessly. Like hiking, swimming, bike riding, canoeing and needs to be pet friendly. Also needs to be clean with decent bathroom/shower facilities. Also needs good rangers who enforce quiet hours fairly and consistently. Don't want load partiers keeping us up all night.
Now that IL takes advance reservations, might plan a summer business trip coinciding with some camping and sightseeing. Maybe even try a weekend trip to somewhere like Peoria, where camping is cheap hotel and we do sightseeing and touristy stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois