Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2011, 02:41 AM

1 posts, read 1,249 times

Advertisements

can i back out of purchasing a home that is for sale by owner if appraisal was below selling price
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2011, 05:56 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,460,359 times
Do you have a qualified real estate agent representing you? Did your purchase agreement include standard finance contingencies? If so you ought to be covered and your earnest money, held in escrow by a third part, returned.

If you had no representation, allowed the seller to write the contract and hold the earnest moneymodds are strongly against you...

Old 05-01-2011, 02:22 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,110,181 times
Sure seems to me if a home was agreed at a price and then the appraisals dont support the market value you could bail out easy.

Not familiar with the real estate laws concerning this but wouldn't think it would take much to talk your way out of that one.

Not like you can forsee what the com parables would have been like
but then again who knows.

we had a house under contract and did not know they had aggressive animals next door and backed out full refund.

Point being there is all kinds of way to get out of a contract legitimately

Old 05-01-2011, 05:02 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,296,651 times
I had a house under contract that had mold issues inside and out. I was released and the escrow was returned.

On the other hand if you agreed to X dollars and the house is undervalued it can get messy because a house can not be sold on handshakes and verbal promises. This is why real estate contracts must be very specific about every little detail.

Contact a lawyer before you do anything else.

Old 05-01-2011, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
I had a house under contract that had mold issues inside and out. I was released and the escrow was returned.

On the other hand if you agreed to X dollars and the house is undervalued it can get messy because a house can not be sold on handshakes and verbal promises. This is why real estate contracts must be very specific about every little detail.

Contact a lawyer before you do anything else.
Yes but in this case what bank will lend money to a house that is actually way above market value? (none)
If the bank pulls the financing it leaves the borrower to loan
no loan and no sale , not the borrowers fault but the actual market itself

sounds like the house was over priced to begin with and the borrower knew in advance to leave plenty of negotiating room.
the mold issue would blow as that is a health concern and i know for safety reasons that would not fly
the only way that loan probably would go thru would be to get a mold removal certificate of somekind
and even then i would imagine its very sticky.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:04 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,296,651 times
The banker will loan X dollars. The buyer agreed to pay Y dollars. The house appraised as Z dollars. If the buyer wants the house, then he has to be willing to pay the cash difference between Z and X to an amount that equals Y. Then both parties are happy and the bank carries the balance of the mortgage.

Buyers 'remorse' may get him out of the ontract, but it could also cost the buyer his escrow money. We can speculate into the next year, but the fact remains it is all written in a contract, the contents of which we are not privy to.

if the buyer intends to back out fo the contract then the lawyer should see the terms of the document first. There are cases where sellers have enforced the terms of the contract in the courtroom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
Yes but in this case what bank will lend money to a house that is actually way above market value? (none)
If the bank pulls the financing it leaves the borrower to loan
no loan and no sale , not the borrowers fault but the actual market itself

sounds like the house was over priced to begin with and the borrower knew in advance to leave plenty of negotiating room.
the mold issue would blow as that is a health concern and i know for safety reasons that would not fly
the only way that loan probably would go thru would be to get a mold removal certificate of somekind
and even then i would imagine its very sticky.

Old 05-02-2011, 04:03 AM

If the buyer wants the house then yeah he may have to pay the diff
but the bank is not required to lend any money on the home

In the contract somplace i am almost certain a clause exists spelling out the financing of the home.

The borrower would not be responsible for the Ernest money
If he or she is then that is totally unfair
even if its buyers remorse
I too would feel for the agents involved because of the time spent
on the other hand if they did the research they would have known upfront the house wouldnt support the asking price
unless it was a total cash transaction and in that place the the bank is not even in the pic.

I would speculate the realtor would have a duty to know market value
of the home both buyer and seller

please take my opinion as someone who is not a realtor i am just trying to apply what makes sense to me

any realtors out there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois