Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2012, 10:06 AM

2 posts, read 9,096 times

Advertisements

My family and I are looking for a new start. We currently live in Northern Illinois by the Wisconsin border and there's nothing here for us, good jobs or otherwise. Unfortunately, due to a custody situation Illinois is best, though all recommendations would be considered. Let me tell you a bit about what we're looking for:

Entry/beginner level jobs available
Unskilled full time jobs available
Good grade and middle schools available
3 bedroom 2 bath housing for reasonable rent (these houses AND APARTMENTS where we are go for $1,200 and up no utilities included--quite a bit high for us)
Housing available for purchase that has some land attached
Illinois is so flat--is there any place that has hills, beautiful trees, or variety?
We'd prefer a smaller town that has access to shopping, but we are at the stage jobs and reasonable housing costs are more important than location.

Do you have any ideas of a good place to look into? Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 10:31 AM

551 posts, read 3,122,989 times
If you're looking for hills, you'll have to check out southern Illinois! I'd recommend Carbondale. The cost-of-living is very cheap, yet there are many job opportunities due to the University being a major draw. Crime is virtually non-existent. You're also relatively close to St. Louis, in case you still want access to a major metro area. My sister has been in Carbondale for about 10 years and loves it! The scenery is beautiful and there are abundant outdoor rec opportunities like rock climbing, hiking, biking, etc. Although you are still in Illinois, the climate is much different that what you are used to in northern Illinois! They don't get much snow there--winters are pretty mild.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:34 PM

110 posts, read 204,907 times
Given what you value the most, Southern Illinois sounds like the best option for you. The nature/scenery is top notch. You won't pay an arm and a leg when it comes to rent. Crime isn't too bad (except in certain areas of certain towns--Carbondale being one of them).

As an aside, Carbondale is unlike the rest of Southern Illinois. It is Chicago-influenced because of the university and the fact that so many people from Northern Illinois come down here and go to school. It's much more liberal than the surrounding towns.

The main drawback to Southern Illinois, though, is job opportunities. Financially, the state is horrendous, and you can't blame companies for not wanting to move/create more jobs here.

My recommendation would be Carterville or Marion (though, school-wise, Carterville trumps Marion).

Last edited by -Focused-; 01-16-2012 at 12:48 PM.. Reason: added recommendation

Old 01-16-2012, 02:49 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,942,090 times
You might look at some of the towns south along the Fox River south of Aurora/Naperville: Oswego, Boulder Hill, Yorkville. Also, Plainfield on the DuPage River. All these will give you access to the job market in Aurora/Naperville as well as locally. I've always liked the semi-rural area around Winfield, north of Naperville off Route 59, but I suspect finding a place to rent would mean a lot of legwork and maybe knowing someone.

Further north along the Fox, maybe Algonquin. Then there's the lake country up near Fox Lake but you're probably already familiar with that area ... and these northern options won't have an Aurora/Naperville complex nearby as a source of potential jobs.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:18 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,404,312 times
While extreme S. IL may be pretty, I would say that you may want to avoid it because there are very few jobs down there; S. IL has been economically depressed for a very long time, and it's probably not going to change. Most of downstate IL has pretty low cost of living, and if you are really looking for something that has interesting scenery, I'd either check the metro East (portion of St. Louis in IL, right on the Mississippi river) or Peoria (right on the Illinois river).

Old 01-17-2012, 01:53 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,262,628 times
Illinois suffers different degress of liberal. It depends upon where you are. Generally speaking towns sitting on large bodies of water, or Port cities, are more liberal than their landlocked cousins.

As far as naturally pertty if you follow the IL River on S. on IL 29 and IL 97 between 1-80 and Springfield you will see farms and ranches hidden amongst 200 miles of rolling hills, cliffs, heavily forested areas, 13,000 acres of Inland wetlands refuge and more. Very little of it is flat or boring. There is a ton of fowl, wildllife and hunters in season in this area, too. The Peoria Park District manages 10,000 acres most of which is open to the public in various venues. It is the oldest and largest park district in the state.. You do not see any of this on I-55.

Having said the above.. generally speaking the established cities have the best jobs and the best city services. But. But living in the county is the cheapest COL. There are several trade schools in Peoria and a community college. The biggest problem you have right this minute is housing. Most people move between June 1 and August 1st. Few move in the winter. Peoria and the Bloomington Normal areas are hiring. If you have a current CDL and experience you can find a job. If you can drive a forklift you can find a job. Hospitals, nuriing and retirement homes always need help. Restaurants are always on the lookout for line cooks, fry cooks, and well experienced servers; so are the country clubs. Peoria has many of both type of entry level positions.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:19 PM

551 posts, read 3,122,989 times
I'm a native of southern Illinois and would agree with the points above. Southern Illinois does have a lot of depressed towns, but I'd add there there are still a good amount of unskilled/entry level jobs, which is what you mentioned you were looking for--especially in an area like Carbondale or Marion. I would NOT suggest Cairo or the East St. Louis area, as crime is VERY bad in both.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:38 PM

2 posts, read 9,096 times
Default Thank You

I just want to take a minute to thank everyone who responded here--I know northern Illinois very well but next to nothing of Central and South despite research, so I'm very thankful for the time you all took to respond to my request for information. I've definitely used your input to look for jobs in/near the 2 main areas indicated. Thank you!

Old 01-23-2012, 06:58 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,015,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Most of downstate IL has pretty low cost of living, and if you are really looking for something that has interesting scenery, I'd either check the metro East (portion of St. Louis in IL, right on the Mississippi river) or Peoria (right on the Illinois river).

I hope you aren't literally suggesting the metro east portion of St. Louis right on the Mississippi river, because that would be East St. Louis. I wouldn't recommend that to anyone, but god bless the people stuck there.

In any event, I would think you might look at some of the metro east STL communities like Edwardsville, O'Fallon, Belleville, Waterloo. All have really nice areas and for the most part I understand the schools are good. One thing I like about most of the smaller Illinois towns that I've been in is they all seem to have nice old fashioned downtown areas.

These are all part of the St. Louis metro area and you might find more access to jobs than in a strictly rural area. You also have access to better healthcare and other amenities than you would in a strictly rural area. There are also some very pretty areas around there. I'm partial to Illinois Route 3 up and down the Mississippi river for some nice scenery and southern Illinois is very pretty.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:05 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,404,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
I hope you aren't literally suggesting the metro east portion of St. Louis right on the Mississippi river, because that would be East St. Louis. I wouldn't recommend that to anyone, but god bless the people stuck there.

In any event, I would think you might look at some of the metro east STL communities like Edwardsville, O'Fallon, Belleville. All have really nice areas and for the most part I understand the schools are good.

You are also part of the St. Louis metro area and might find more access to jobs than in a strictly rural area, also healthcare, etc.
Of course I'm not suggesting E. St. Louis. I was suggesting Belleville or Glen Carbon or Edwardsville or even Alton. The suggestion was geared more towards the idea that the metro East is basically right on or near the Mississippi, so it has rolling hills and bluffs and isn't flat, as the OP had requested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois