Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2008, 08:44 AM

1 posts, read 2,552 times

Advertisements

I am currently in college studying for my associates in paralegal studies in Florida. Eventually, I would like to move back to Illinois where most of myam family lives. I was born in Dixon (just south of Rockford), however, I would like to find an area where I may find a paralegal position in a government office. I would prefer a smaller area than Chicago. I am fine with any area in Illinois, as no matter where I am in the state I will be able visit my family more often. If anyone has any information on a medium to small city--even a small town within 30 minutes of a city would be great. I have three children, so, schools are very important, and so are sports and other after school activities. I should be finishing my degree in December 2009. Oh yeah, I am also a military veteran with a 20% disability rating. Any contacts I can make will be most welcome. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 12:54 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,257,297 times
Peoria has everything you need execept government offices, although there is an Agricultue Rresearch building here. Peoria has an awesome park district, and alwo a lot of things for kids to do. Springfield has the governement offices. Jay Janson Law Center in Peoria is very large. Someone there might be able to point you in the right direction for your career. .

I live midway between Peoria and Springfield. Many veterans around here go toi the VA hospital in Iowa City for treatment. It is prefered over the VA in Danville. I believe there is a VA clinic in Peoria, but I don't inow about Springfield of the Bloomington area.

I realize this post isn't terribly helpful, but it might offer some insite. I do a friend who goes to Iowa City that can probably tell me more. If you are interseted IM me and I will check it out.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:50 AM

166 posts, read 855,841 times
Springfield does have the government offices. A VA clinic should be opening soon by Toronto Road - my friend owns a building the VA has leased for the next 10 years for that purpose. There are several small towns around Springfield with very popular school districts. Chatham is the largest and sports crazy! Here's the website for the school district BCSD Home Page
If I can help you, just let me know.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:56 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,368,485 times
Oregon, IL comes to mind. A small little community on the Rock River with nice hills and decent schools.

Old 12-05-2008, 12:19 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,160,449 times
If you want a paralegal position in a government office in Illinois, there's a 75% chance you'll end up in Chicago. While Springfield is the state's putative capital, a whole lot of state administrative functions are carried out in Chicago. Since you seem to want something smaller, Springfield would of course be your first place to look, or maybe you have some family connections to local government back home that you could tap into for a job in a county office. Unfortunately, local government offices don't have a lot of personnel turnover so there probably won't be much available to you. You might consider a job in a private firm as well, that would open up more options for you. And at any rate, I wish you the best of luck because jobs in the legal market are incredibly scarce right now. You know its bad when major Chicago firms are firing not merely associates but partners as well. Government agencies haven't taken to firing their legal staff yet but most government legal offices have implemented a hiring freeze.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois