Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2012, 10:13 PM

15 posts, read 31,905 times

Advertisements

How do you go about getting a motorcycle in endorsement in the state of Illinois?
With gas prices does it seem like a more effective way to zip around the city during summer and take public transportation during winter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 06:31 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
Take the written and driving test using your bike.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:54 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,512,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringerjr View Post
How do you go about getting a motorcycle in endorsement in the state of Illinois?
With gas prices does it seem like a more effective way to zip around the city during summer and take public transportation during winter?
I suggest that if you have a larger bike (such as a Harley, etc.) that you do not try to use it for the driving test. Many of the driver's facilities utilize a small, tight course in a parking lot and it is quite easy to fail when you are on a large bike. Illinois has, as a part of the test, the requirement that you do a couple of tight figure 8's! I have friends who failed the random re-test - and they had over 20 years of motorcycle experience! Talk about embarrassment! Borrow a small 500cc or smaller bike from a friend for the test.

Old 04-14-2012, 12:30 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,678,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
I suggest that if you have a larger bike (such as a Harley, etc.) that you do not try to use it for the driving test. Many of the driver's facilities utilize a small, tight course in a parking lot and it is quite easy to fail when you are on a large bike. Illinois has, as a part of the test, the requirement that you do a couple of tight figure 8's! I have friends who failed the random re-test - and they had over 20 years of motorcycle experience! Talk about embarrassment! Borrow a small 500cc or smaller bike from a friend for the test.
I highly recommend this course, and it's free: Motorcycle Rider Program :: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
They provide training, bikes, everything. You get mailed a card and walk into the dmv to update license.

Random re-test? WHAT? I have a full size Harley, I don't think I could make that figure 8 if I stood next to and pushed.

Old 04-14-2012, 03:03 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
Yes you could do a tight Figure 8 on a Hog. What you cannot do is a small, tight, Scooter-sized Figure 8 on a Harley. That is like trying to cross the ocean on a Seadoo. Administrators can sit around and dream up all kinds of stuff to flummox testers. What they have not figured out how to do yet is: change the Law of Physics to do the impossible. The full dressed Harley is not physically built to test on a elementary school student's bicycle course.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:10 PM

15 posts, read 31,905 times
I have never rode before, and don't even know how to get started, i just moved here

Old 04-16-2012, 02:56 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,678,872 times
See the link I posted above. They'll set you up as an absolute beginner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois