Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2015, 03:01 PM

341 posts, read 412,392 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3]I currently live in Orland Park, IL a suburb about 30 minutes from Chicago, IL. Imight be relocating to Rock Island, IL. Can anyone give me the who,what, were, when, why and how. Beyond the normal Google stuff. Thank you![/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 01:00 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,262,628 times
Rock Island is one of the four communities that comprise the Q.C. area. As someone who lives near Chicago, moving will be a culture shock. Unless you are required to live in Rock Island, I suggest you look at Bettendorf for better schools and a better quality of life.

Old 08-27-2015, 07:51 AM

7,736 posts, read 4,987,721 times
Wow, I lived in the orland park area for over 20 years. Rock island will be nothing like orland... Your better off living on the iowa side...Good luck

Old 08-27-2015, 08:51 AM

Uh... I agree. Bettendorf is in Iowa.

Old 09-04-2015, 09:07 PM

Default I have hear mixed things about Rock Island, most of the stuff I googled was bad. I would like to stay in/on the Illinoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Uh... I agree. Bettendorf is in Iowa.

I have hear mixed things about Rock Island, most of the stuff I googled was bad. I would like to stay in/on the Illinois side of the quad cities. I want to be no more then 30 minute drive from Rock Island. Also and advice on apartments in the area? I want a small place (not sharing a place or room). Anything else other then the google search I should know? Who, what, were, when, why and how. Thank you. Anyone actually live in Rock Island or the Quad Cities area? Also can a single person live in the area on $30,000 a year? I have no major debt and some savings already.

Old 09-04-2015, 10:26 PM

Bettendorf has aways had a good reputation. It is less than 10 miles/ about 15 minutes from Davenport. I don't live there. I spent a lot of time there. In my opinion Moline is the best on the IL side of the river. I was robbed in Rock Island. The cops were useless.

If you do not party every night or waste money on fast food, and live frugally in a studio apartment you will have money to repair your vehicle and enjoy life. Do your math. The $500 apt., is six grand a year without utilities, or groceries, or gasoline or laundry/dry cleaning. Now you are looking some where around ten grand per year. City bus or car pool is cheaper than driving. IL personal property tax is a flat 5%. Iowa has a gradual tax that tops out around 9%.

Old 09-05-2015, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Bettendorf has aways had a good reputation. It is less than 10 miles/ about 15 minutes from Davenport. I don't live there. I spent a lot of time there. In my opinion Moline is the best on the IL side of the river. I was robbed in Rock Island. The cops were useless.

If you do not party every night or waste money on fast food, and live frugally in a studio apartment you will have money to repair your vehicle and enjoy life. Do your math. The $500 apt., is six grand a year without utilities, or groceries, or gasoline or laundry/dry cleaning. Now you are looking some where around ten grand per year. City bus or car pool is cheaper than driving. IL personal property tax is a flat 5%. Iowa has a gradual tax that tops out around 9%.

Thanks, I did notice that Rock Island cost of living is cheaper then Orland Park. Is living away from the quad cities (within 30 minute range) any cheaper for cost of living? Does the area have cheap studio apartments? Do most have parking and or utilities? Isn't the quad cities really 5 cities? How is car/renters insurance for the area? If I have a job in Rock Island how would living in Iowa affect my taxes?

Old 09-05-2015, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Wow, I lived in the orland park area for over 20 years. Rock island will be nothing like orland... Your better off living on the iowa side...Good luck
I am in the IL ARNG, for school benefits I need to stay in/n the IL side. Thanks.

Old 09-05-2015, 09:57 PM

Quote:

I do have some money saved and I don't have a family to support. Anything about apartments in the area you can share with me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois