Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2019, 08:14 PM

36 posts, read 50,322 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We are possibly relocating from Phoenix, AZ to Normal IL within the next 2 months. We have 3 kids ages 13,9,6 and are looking for more information in regards to crime, and schools.

The zip code in Normal that we are looking at is 61761. Is that a safe area, and how are the schools? I believe the elementary school we are zoned for would be Fairview.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2019, 08:28 AM

98 posts, read 110,261 times
I can't give a lot of info on Normal, but I do live in the twin-city of Bloomington. Normal, in general, is a very good area. I moved to Bloomington from Virginia almost three years ago, and I do love it here. The only complaint I have is that the wind blows EVERY DAY. Which means if the temperature is supposed to get to 35, with the wind chill, it might be 28. The true temperature is never the wind-chill temperature here. Great in the summer; not so much in the winter. Sometimes I wish I had chosen Phoenix - simply to avoid the harsh winters here.

Old 01-21-2019, 08:51 PM

106 posts, read 236,495 times
61761 is the zip code for all of Normal (other than ISU). Normal is generally quite safe. There is one less safe part of Normal around Orlando Ave, the section west of main street.

Fairview elementary is fine, and that area is generally fine/safe. It'll be a notch below nearby Prarieland in test scores, and a few notches above Glenn/Oakdale. With the 13 year old, you are also interested in the high school. I believe Fairview feeds into Normal Community (as opposed to Normal West) and is a slightly higher performing school. Unit 5 is a very good school district throughout. Living in California now, I didn't realize how much better the programs in Unit 5 were.

Old 02-01-2019, 01:56 PM

4 posts, read 4,174 times
The whole B-N (Bloomington-Normal) area is pretty nice. It has what most people want. Low crime, good schools, friendly people, reasonable cost of living. The winters are the worst part, but its the midwest and that is what you get.
B-N is really one town, it's hard to tell when you go from one to the other.
There are also quite a few small towns just a few minutes away if you prefer that environment.
Smaller schools which means more opportunity for your kids - they don't have to be standout athletes or a musical genius to be involved in sports, band, plays etc.
Even though these are small towns and small schools, they are excellent.
Tri-Valley school district is about 5 miles from B-N and has the highest rated schools in the county, including the middle school and high school being US Blue Ribbon Schools.
Don't fall into the trap of thinking that smaller, rural areas are full of hicks. B-N and the surrounding areas have an extremely high rate of college graduates and advanced degree professionals. A lot of that is because of the 2 universities and State Farm & Country Companies corporate headquarters. It's more like living in an upper middle class suburb of a large city than it is like living out in the country.

Old 02-19-2019, 12:24 AM

Thank you all for the information and this definitely makes feel better about making such a big move across the country. My only other question would be in the Normal Area what are some of the better Apartment Complexes as we have seen a few and wanted to get some more information.

Old 02-19-2019, 07:06 AM

The Apartments we are looking at are the Briarwood II, and Healing Stone Court Apartments
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois