Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2019, 02:15 AM

3 posts, read 1,705 times

Advertisements

I need help. I have reached out several times for assistance in removing from this specific site, a listing for a Cancelled and Expired, since 2004, Amateur Radio License. When this license was valid, I was a Minor. This listing notes my home address, and somehow, publishing the home address and name of a Minor doesn't sound like it should be legal... Is there anyone who can provide any advice, or assistance in this type of matter? I have reached out to all of the 'contact us' emails and have never received any acknowledgement of my email, or issue. I really appreciate any assistance anyone could provide. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2019, 07:54 AM

2,568 posts, read 2,519,378 times
The FCC makes no differentiation of age for licensing, in fact they do not even ask for your age on the application. Amateur Radio licenses are federal public records and the information is accessible to all. The data is readily available on the FCC website, callbooks, online and yes here on CD as well as other sources. To try and "remove" any personal data, especially old data is impossible.

Old 06-13-2019, 01:11 PM

Thank you for very much for your prompt reply. I understand that the information is available elsewhere;
it has only recently has been published online. However, City-Data
is consciously choosing to re-publish this information on their site,
with me pointing out and informing that I was a minor at the time I had the license,
and that I am not comfortable with it continuing to be published on the City-Data site.

Had my parents known that my full name and home address would be published at age 13,(and
then shared with multiple entities not willing to take any responsibility, or honor a removal request)
My parents would have been able to make a decision, and choose not to allow me to obtain the license.

I would hope at this time the FCC, and sites that publish this information have a disclaimer for parents and children communicating to them that names and addresses of children will be published
with no regard to ethics, (those who may want to prey on children) and then.. well, nothing can be done about it,
the information is splattered all over the web, and no one is responsible
because, well.. its a 'public record.' I am not asking the FCC to remove this data.
I am asking specifically the City-Data site to remove this information from their
site, that they are choosing to publish it on. I was a child of 13 at the time I had this license. The City-Data Privacy policy notes that if it receives information from anyone under the age of 13 it will be deleted.
I am requesting City-Data, not any other entity, to honor a request to remove my information from their site. If it can be posted, it can be removed. Whom can assist me in doing this?

Old 06-13-2019, 03:50 PM

"The City-Data Privacy policy notes that if it receives information from anyone under the age of 13 it will be deleted...."
These are two very different and unrelated issues.

Im curious why are you just concerned about CD? What do you plan on doing with the other 100 plus sites that have and publish the info. Btw, mine is published too, as a minor and adult, and frankly, I dont care.

Old 06-15-2019, 03:39 PM

Bob: Are you with city-data, or individually replying to my post's? I want my old, long expired radio license from when I was 13 removed from a site that is publishing it for no useful reason whatsoever. No matter what the site, if a person reaches out and asks that some old useless information be removed because it lists their name and home address, any reputable, and respectable site that isn't just trying to violate people's personal information, would remove it without an issue... like the 100's of other sites you reference will do with out comments, or push back. How is the way you personally feel about your information being published relevant to me? or what other sites have? My request isn't about you, or other any other websites. If you cant respect how I feel, dont reply to my post.

Old 06-15-2019, 04:41 PM

No offense is intended in my replies. I'm just pointing out the global picture. Again, I'm just explaining that this info will be readily available elsewhere, just not here.
No it's not relevant to me, but maybe to others with similar requests.

BTW, I'm not with CD.

Old 06-26-2019, 05:26 AM

3,154 posts, read 2,068,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntCrawl View Post
Thank you for very much for your prompt reply. I understand that the information is available elsewhere;
it has only recently has been published online. However, City-Data
is consciously choosing to re-publish this information on their site,
with me pointing out and informing that I was a minor at the time I had the license,
and that I am not comfortable with it continuing to be published on the City-Data site.

Had my parents known that my full name and home address would be published at age 13,(and
then shared with multiple entities not willing to take any responsibility, or honor a removal request)
My parents would have been able to make a decision, and choose not to allow me to obtain the license.

I would hope at this time the FCC, and sites that publish this information have a disclaimer for parents and children communicating to them that names and addresses of children will be published
with no regard to ethics, (those who may want to prey on children) and then.. well, nothing can be done about it,
the information is splattered all over the web, and no one is responsible
because, well.. its a 'public record.' I am not asking the FCC to remove this data.

I am asking specifically the City-Data site to remove this information from their
site, that they are choosing to publish it on. I was a child of 13 at the time I had this license. The City-Data Privacy policy notes that if it receives information from anyone under the age of 13 it will be deleted.
I am requesting City-Data, not any other entity, to honor a request to remove my information from their site. If it can be posted, it can be removed. Whom can assist me in doing this?
Ant, I am certainly not a spokesman for C-D, but my guess is their stance is that if information is listed as "public" (such as real estate transactions, census data, licenses, patents, etc.), then it is Fair Game for republishing (that is what they do, for crying out loud), and omissions by request detract from the accuracy of their data, which would negatively impact their credibility and thus their business model. The thing to do, I would think, is to get the FCC to revoke the license and purge their records, which will then cause C-D to adjust their publishing by default.

Similarly, if an inventor, say, were so concerned with their privacy (for whatever reason, including paranoia), they would be faced with the choice of having a patent published in their own name, or to create a legal entity under which the patent could be listed ("ABC inventors", Inc.). But I do understand your concern, I'm thrilled that Googling my real name produces very little results on the WWW, I value my privacy and anonymity. Personally, I'd go back to the source of the data, get that expunged, and then you would have a valid case to come back to C-D.

Last edited by Curly Q. Bobalink; 06-26-2019 at 05:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois