Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2021, 12:07 AM

2 posts, read 8,775 times

Advertisements

Oswego, Plainfield, Hoffman estates, or Schaumburg. What’s the difference in the schools and community? Thinking about moving soon and I’m having a hard time choosing. I’m Looking for diversity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2021, 04:16 PM

179 posts, read 271,838 times
For me, Oswego/Plainfield are very, very different from Schaumburg or HE. While all can be sprawl-y and lack character, I would say Plainfield's downtown is much nicer than Oswego's. Schaumburg and HE do not have a downtown.

As for schools, I imagine Oswego and Plainfield have worse stats at the high school level. Schaumburg and Hoffman's District 54 for elementary schools is highly regarded, though not in an elite sort of way. My perception is that there is a bigger contingent of competitive students in Schaumburg and HE schools.

Schaumburg and HE have loads of students of Indian descent as well as people with heritage from China, Japan, South Korea, and other Asian countries. HE has the most latinos, then Oswego, then Plainfield, but it's negligible as of the last census; 14-some % in HE down to about 8-some % in Schaumburg.

Plainfield and Oswego feel removed, and both have undeveloped land. Schaumburg is built out, and HE likely is, too. Oswego feels like it's in Aurora's orbit, Plainfield kind of in Joliet's, and Schaumburg/HE the NW suburbs + many working downtown.

I can't speak a lot for Plainfield's schools, which I don't think have good rep (behind in technology, I am told), but Oswego's schools apparently have very little money. They've cut out junior high sports and field trips, among other problems. Schaumburg and HE have schools with well-paid teachers and solid programs.

While Oswego and Schaumburg are both heavy on chain restaurants and stores, Schaumburg is simply much bigger with a lot more. I find Oswego's parks and green spaces on the worst end of the Chicagoland spectrum. You have to go a fair distance to reach forest preserves. However, Schaumburg does not have the Fox River, and Oswego does. Plainfield has some nice trails and parks. HE is big enough that it has some trails. Schaumburg has a fantastic library and a strong park district.

Not sure specifically what you wish for, but I think in terms of prices Oswego and Plainfield are going to come up cheaper for a house than Schaumburg.

Old 03-24-2021, 09:52 PM

2 posts, read 8,775 times
Thank you for your response I really appreciate it. I thought about Aurora too but the crime makes it undesirable. Oswego just seemed like a small town where people are welcoming, but there is nothing to do there. I read comments on niche that Plainfield schools were racist which is very concerning. I was leaning towards Schaumburg and Hoffman because it just seems like both places offer more than Oswego and Plainfield.

Old 03-25-2021, 10:11 AM

474 posts, read 530,005 times
It depends on what type of diversity you are looking for. As the previous poster mentioned, most of the diversity in these suburbs is Asian immigrants. Although we're much more visible in Schaumburg/Hoffman Estates, I also have several Asian friends who have gone through the Oswego & Plainfield school systems. That said, Plainfield does live up to its name. It's incredibly plain. So much so that after living in Naperville for 5 years I can count on one hand the amount of times I've even driven through the area.

Re: Aurora, I wouldn't cross it off your list due to crime. It's by far the largest suburb in Chicagoland, with 200,000 people and the crime tends to be localized to Downtown/Downtown-adjacent East Aurora. If you live in the Route 59 area, you would be zoned for District 204 schools which are shared with Naperville and are all very good. IIRC the schools in this area are generally 20-30% Asian, 10-15% black/Hispanic and the remainder white. For the entire city, Aurora has a relatively high black population for the area, a very high Hispanic population and an above-average Asian population which is concentrated in the area adjacent to Naperville. On a percentage basis I think Bolingbrook is the only nearby suburb that would be considered more diverse.

Last edited by garyjohnyang; 03-25-2021 at 10:23 AM..

Old 03-25-2021, 11:35 AM

720 posts, read 1,083,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsea452 View Post
Thank you for your response I really appreciate it. I thought about Aurora too but the crime makes it undesirable. Oswego just seemed like a small town where people are welcoming, but there is nothing to do there. I read comments on niche that Plainfield schools were racist which is very concerning. I was leaning towards Schaumburg and Hoffman because it just seems like both places offer more than Oswego and Plainfield.
Why not be in the part of Aurora that feeds into 204 (Waubonsie or Metea)? Unsure of the two sets of choices, they are both very far away from each other. Plainfield North I think is the best Plainfield school and is closer to Naperville.

What about something like a Bloomingdale/Villa Park/Lombard? Or Lisle (little pricier) or Bolingbrook (Naperville schools only).

Old 03-26-2021, 07:12 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,178,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aga412 View Post
Why not be in the part of Aurora that feeds into 204 (Waubonsie or Metea)? Unsure of the two sets of choices, they are both very far away from each other. Plainfield North I think is the best Plainfield school and is closer to Naperville.

What about something like a Bloomingdale/Villa Park/Lombard? Or Lisle (little pricier) or Bolingbrook (Naperville schools only).
I would second the suggestion of feeding into Waubonsie or Metea, even going as far as living in a part of Naperville that feed into them.

Do you have a price range you're considering?

Old 03-26-2021, 07:31 AM

9,971 posts, read 5,669,596 times
Is there a commute involved? Because depending on your work location, one of these could add up to an hour+ to your daily commute versus the other.

Old 03-31-2021, 01:31 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,916,165 times
before I would worry about "diversity", I would be concerned with where you will be working; as others mentioned, you could be 1 hour+ or more, if you work in the city and live in Oswego...then, when the weather is bad, add another hour or more..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois