Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2024, 07:36 AM

118 posts, read 84,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Egypt View Post
We had a huge influx of people at the last eclipse, and personally, I expect even more people this time. There are any number of eclipse related events around the region, and I think that people will get a different view of Southern Illinois than they may have been led to expect. This is an incredibly beautiful area. Many people found this out during their visit for the eclipse, and even more who came during the pandemic.

If you are planning to come for the eclipse, I highly recommend that if you have not yet done so to make your arrangements NOW. Much of the available lodging has already filled up, and even primitive camping will be hard to find by the time the event comes.

But when you do come, try to arrive a few days early to take advantage of the events and the beauty of the area. And be patient when the eclipse is over. Traffic was bumper-to-bumper, and people took hours for what would otherwise have been short trips.
Yea all the hotels & campsites are booked solid & crazy expensive down there. Best deal i could find was way out in Tuscola for Friday night on the way down. Luckily, my aunt already has a camper set up in Vienna for that weekend. Which sections of I-57 do you think will be the worst traffic wise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2024, 08:39 AM

49 posts, read 31,930 times
From a Carbondale blog...

"it took about 3 hours to get from here to Marion and about 6 hours to take 51 north to the interstate"

So that was just to get to the interstate from Carbondale.

Old 03-10-2024, 07:20 PM

3,043 posts, read 3,311,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraftask View Post
Yea all the hotels & campsites are booked solid & crazy expensive down there. Best deal i could find was way out in Tuscola for Friday night on the way down. Luckily, my aunt already has a camper set up in Vienna for that weekend. Which sections of I-57 do you think will be the worst traffic wise?
The section from Mt Vernon south to Goreville & I-24 is always busy with truck traffic. Not sure where the construction zone is in this stretch. Expecting to be busy until you get to Missouri.

Expecting I-24 to be bad all the way to Lake Kentucky & Lake Barkley. May be fun to get items at Big John grocery then use Fort Massac state park to watch the action. Not sure about any construction on & near Ohio river bridge. Nobody should use the Brookport bridge.

Come to think of it nobody should use US 60 Ohio bridge from KY or Mississippi bridge into MO.

Thinking of the interstates may need to heed no parking restrictions on the ramps. Could be dangerous to park on/near off ramp. Not many rest areas in the zone.

Last edited by GWoodle; 03-10-2024 at 07:34 PM..

Old 03-17-2024, 10:17 PM

Some advice from Southern Illinois Tourism:

Driving to Southern Illinois for the 2024 Total Solar Eclipse?

Here are some tips for routes & planning!

Many GPS & direction apps may tell you to take I-57, then Highway 13 west. But taking that route may delay you significantly due to wrecks, stop lights, heavy traffic, etc.

In this case, it's faster to take the scenic route! If you are attending events in Murphysboro, Makanda, Alto Pass, Pomona, etc., here are the alternate routes we recommend.

Don't get stranded! There are areas of Southern Illinois where the nearest gas station is over 20 miles away. Smaller stations may run out of gas. Fill up when you have the chance, and incorporate fuel needs into your route.

Be mindful of others when parking. Because several events are outdoors, their lots are in unmarked fields. Without handicap parking, this can create issues for those who need more space to enter and exit their vehicle. Leave a doors width of space between cars when parking, do not block a car from being able to leave (including parallel parking too close to back up), and do not block any roadways or entrances.

* As an added tip, event holders, please insure there is always a path or route for emergency vehicles to your venue.*

Old 03-20-2024, 03:44 PM

3,977 posts, read 8,171,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
I was looking at the states that will experience a total eclipse and the ones with a partial eclipse. It appears like it starts in Maine (total eclipse state) and runs diagonally from northeast to the southwest down to Texas (the last total eclipse state). New Mexico is to experience a partial eclipse.

The closest to where I'm at is for me to drive to southern Missouri. It would be cool, but hard to justify for only a 4 or 5 minute rush. ALTHOUGH, we won't have another one like this until the year 2044.

https://www.greatamericaneclipse.com/april-8-2024
Its worth it! Once in a life time. My kids are coming up from Florida.

Old 03-21-2024, 03:32 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,232,871 times
I'm excited about Tom Skilling coming back for a few days. Is that weird?

Old 03-22-2024, 03:37 PM

118 posts, read 84,922 times
Any good backroads on the way back, without taking the interstate? I wanting to take my girlfriend thru Paris, IL then make a stop in Rankin, IL before heading back. I'll be leaving right in the mad rush afterwards since my daughter has school the next day.

Old 03-23-2024, 03:39 PM

“How lucky can the residents of Carbondale, Illinois, be?” -BBC

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-68597945

Old 03-26-2024, 08:21 AM

Lots of information for visitors coming to Southern Illinois to view the eclipse from the Shawnee National Forest:

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/shawn...=FSEPRD1122842

Old 03-27-2024, 12:20 PM

Not just the eclipse, but lots of other things to do while you're here.

https://www.hikingwithshawn.com/tota...clipse-events/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois