Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 09:10 PM

3 posts, read 18,841 times

Advertisements

One more thing, you will find more sex offenders in county seats, in most counties, however, due to the population, the ratio will probably be much smaller than very small towns. One town near us has a ratio of 67 to 1, while Olney has a ratio of 339 to 1. I would look at the ratio, not the number.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 01:09 PM

6 posts, read 16,538 times
i would consider Newton, il it is a small town but it has some resteraunts, a nice school district and housing is cheap, and is only about a 25 minute drive from effingham il, so big town options aren't too far i would highly recommend Newton.

Old 01-26-2009, 01:58 PM

10 posts, read 47,529 times
I don't know what size "big town" you're looking for, but between Springfield and Paducah there aren't any towns over 50,000 in population. But it's the most beautiful area in the state. The Illinois side of the St. Louis Metro area is made up of many small towns (some of which you will want to avoid) and probably has over 200,000 in total population....and downtown St. Louis is right across the bridge. I believe that I 64 runs from St. Louis straight to Paducah. So it depends on what you want for entertainment, I guess. For me, I'd pick a smaller collage town like Charelston (EIU) or Edwardsville (SIU). Maybe even Champaign-Urbana (U of I). Carbondale, is over 50% college students and is much too "young" for me, and not very family oriented.

Old 01-27-2009, 04:10 PM

4 posts, read 16,352 times
I am originally from Herrin, IL. It is perfect and just in the middle of Carbondale and Marion, IL. Great shopping, inexpensive and friendly. Herrin is an Italian based small town but great in the schools and you should look into them! Tell them I sent ya!

Old 04-12-2009, 08:14 AM

5 posts, read 19,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrochetCrazy View Post
How is the weather in Southern Illinois as opposed to the Chicago area?
Especially winter weather in the Mount Vernon/Marion area? Do you get much snow? What is the average? I know blizzards must pass through Southern Illinois area but how does it compare to Northern Illinois? Does "Winter" arrive later and "Spring" arrive earlier?

Thanks to everyone who responded previously about areas in Southern Illinois to retire to. My father was born in East Saint Louis and grew up mostly in
Carmi, IL but we were looking toward perhaps areas between Mt. Vernon
and Marion (such as Fairfield, Flora, etc).

Also, I noticed the high amount of sex offenders concentrated in Olney, IL.
Higher percentage than the usual. Any comments to this?

CrochetCrazy
There are a high number of sex offenders in most of the counties surrounding Richland. I live in Wayne county and we have a high number. Mostly though here, you don't hear of any trouble just because someone is a sex offender. And I'm a paranoid parent of a little girl. The numbers seem high in my opinion because it is such a small, rural area. The numbers in other cities are much higher by far...you are just less likely to have them living next to you or to know it if they are.

Old 04-20-2009, 03:18 PM

66 posts, read 261,034 times
Wow! I just stumbled upon thihs thread that I started 2 years ago and it's still going! I have been in Edwardsville since 4/2007 and have to say, it was a good choice. Schools are great, great youth sports and new stores are constantly opening. A lot of "transplants" too. Very nice small town appeal but with the conveniences of a larger town.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:57 AM

11 posts, read 49,863 times
Default Marion, illinois

Marion, Huh? Any flooding issues in Marion proper or right outside the
city limits?

Thought of Marion as a possible place to relocate to and retire earlier.

Thanks for any thoughts regarding water or flooding issues as a problem
to moving there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois