Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2007, 03:17 PM

2 posts, read 4,197 times

Advertisements

I'm a young person just getting out of school with an art degree in painting. I want to continue painting but not in Bloomington where I went to school. So I need a reasonable place with extra space to use as a studio. I don't need a place too nice in a fancy area, but I don't want to get my hubcaps stolen either. However I want a little city energy and culture. So some kind of mid-range area or a little nicer. I tried looking on the eastside of the city because of some of the prices I saw but I was kind of horrified, it looked miserable and depressing. What can be recommended for my needs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2007, 03:47 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,731,146 times
Are there any places that are downtown that may be appealing? I think Massachusetts Ave has a lot of artsy places. You could also try Broad Ripple. Sweetana any suggestions?

Old 06-30-2007, 09:06 PM

2 posts, read 4,197 times
Thanks for your reply.Broad Ripple sounds appealing. What are the places like surrounding it?Rocky Ripple?

Old 07-01-2007, 05:41 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,731,146 times
Very nice! I love that area and if I was in your situation (young, out of college), that's the first place I'd look.

Old 07-02-2007, 04:19 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,479,707 times
To rent, BR would be great for a young person but the rent will be high due to the popularity. Rocky Ripple for renters is fine but not for buyers. Hard to find and water issues.

How about Fountain Square downtown? Lots and lots of artists in this area. In fact artists were a focus. Didnt the old Murphy Building get transformed into some kind of artist space?

Check with artists in the old Stutz building for referrals. A huge part of the building on Illinois Street is artist studio space. Check with the art school in Broad Ripple for referrals. Who knows what you could find out from the office and the teachers.

If you were buying, there is a commercial/live work space in Fountain Square for $195,000. First floor could be used as gallery studio and the upstairs is a one bedroom apartment.

Since studio space is important, I think you might be better off talking to someone in the field for referrals.

There is a downtown condo for sale right on Mass Ave for $165,000 that has a den with window in the back but again this would be for someone buying.\
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana