Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 12:35 PM

550 posts, read 3,266,490 times

Advertisements

My family and I will be relocating to from AZ to South Bend, IN for my husband's residency. Can anyone help with which areas are more desirable to live in than others. By the time we move, our three kids will be ages 12, 8, and 6 so schools are a definite consideration.

My husband wants to live as close as possible to the hospital he'll be working at, but I'm leery of moving into an area only because of it's proximity to his work.

Is there anyone out there familiar with South Bend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2006, 08:43 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times
Check out Granger. Penn is a huge school district, but it is good.

Old 09-06-2006, 10:00 AM

9 posts, read 57,340 times
Default relocating to S. B.

I grew up in S. B. I have never been so glad to leave a place since. If you must live in St. Joe county , the farther out the better. If you need and incorporated area, Mishawaka is nice. Lakeville is also good, if you like a laid back rural attitude. Schools are good, and infinately safer.Out of the county, say, Plymouth would be much better yet small but progressive safe quaility shools and much lower taxes.( St. Joe county taxes are horrific for In.)

Old 09-09-2006, 07:56 AM

2 posts, read 12,445 times
There is a cool church in Granger called Granger Community Church. You might want to check it out once you're there. (gccwired.com)

Shane

Old 09-11-2006, 09:37 PM

550 posts, read 3,266,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neeka View Post
I grew up in S. B. I have never been so glad to leave a place since. If you must live in St. Joe county , the farther out the better. If you need and incorporated area, Mishawaka is nice. Lakeville is also good, if you like a laid back rural attitude. Schools are good, and infinately safer.Out of the county, say, Plymouth would be much better yet small but progressive safe quaility shools and much lower taxes.( St. Joe county taxes are horrific for In.)
I think we'll need to be in town. My husband will be a resident at one of the hospitals, (I don't exactly remember which one...I think St. Joseph's Med. Center), and he'd like to be relatively close to it. But if the area is kind of hinky, I'd prefer living in the outlying area!

Good info, Neeka! Thanks so much!

Old 09-12-2006, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggitydot View Post
I think we'll need to be in town. My husband will be a resident at one of the hospitals, (I don't exactly remember which one...I think St. Joseph's Med. Center), and he'd like to be relatively close to it. But if the area is kind of hinky, I'd prefer living in the outlying area!

Good info, Neeka! Thanks so much!

I think that Granger may be the best bet.

Old 09-15-2006, 04:16 AM

2,156 posts, read 11,153,738 times
diggitydot
all the folks I knew in South Bend are now out in AZ. There should be a wide selection of nice homes available.

Old 09-15-2006, 02:30 PM

3 posts, read 9,503 times
I grew up in South Bend and thought it was a nice town. I lived just south of Granger (around Ironwood and Cleveland Roads); it was a decent area. It's been a few years since I've lived there. I attended the Clay schools (not sure how good/bad they are today). Penn was getting really big, but hear that it is a good school. If I remember, I think that was on the Eastern side of town. Being from AZ, you might be in for a shock - lots of snow in the winter!

Old 09-21-2006, 05:00 PM

4 posts, read 11,271 times
I kinda stumbled upon this website from wikipedia and thought I woudl check it out, saw this topic and had to chime in.

I would like to chime in on this subject reguarding the Lakeville region.
I grew up in Plymouth, but spent all of my time in Lakeville. Lakeville is a very fast growing little town right now. The owner of hoosier racing tire lives there and is building a subdivision down highway 4 and devoloping it very rapidly. My sister has a home in Lakeville and in 3 years she has owned it, it has almost trippled value when she last had it appraised. Laville schools (the union north school district) is a great school system. The crime is little to none, I think the worst thing that has happened there was a guy poached a deer, :lol: its a everyone knows everyone kinda place. I know a few lawyers, doctors, nurses, realtors and such who live in the area.

to get to St. Joe med center your husband is looking at a straight shot north on US31 to get to work. From Lakeville (the US4 and US31 intersection) hes looking at probably a 15min drive on a day with little Notre Dame traffic and no snow on the roads. Speaking of snow, the roads are nasty in the winter in Lakeville.

The St. Joe med center is right next to Notre Dame. Take that into consideration because of the ND traffic.

Lakeville in my opinion is a very nice town and I myself would love to live there, and probably will here within the next few years...

Old 09-22-2006, 12:49 PM

Nothing happens in Lakeville? What about that kid who killed his family so he could go to the Laville prom festivities???

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/...n1826812.shtml
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana