Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 09:45 PM

723 posts, read 1,004,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reborn Buck View Post
Hello, my old car just hit 300,000 miles and although its in ok condition, taking risk can have consequences.

I'm budgeting $15,000 cash and decided I do not want a car loan... great, but I'm puzzled by the lack of detailed information on how to buy a car from a private seller; I've always purchased from dealerships in the past, but I've seen some clean cars being sold from private sellers.

Can you guys and galls share your experiences with car buying?

I would like a step-by-step guide... as far as I assume:

1) The seller signs and dates the title
2) The buyer (me) signs and dates the title under the buyer section
3) Fill out the Bill of Sale (both seller and buyer)
4) Fill out the Odometer Disclosure Statement (both seller and buyer)
5) The seller has the right to remove the license plates from the vehicle
6) Title and register the vehicle - it is the buyers (me) responsibility to obtain a new title and register the vehicle. "If you have recently purchased a vehicle with an Indiana title you must title it in your own name within 31 days."
In order to register & title the vehicle for the first time, you must visit a license branch/BMV. You need to provide proof of insurance and proof of your SS number.

That is all fine and dandy, but it leaves me with some questions and the IN.gov BMV website isn't all that great.

How can I drive the car without a license plate?
Can I get a temporary plate or Trip/Travel permit? Is it legal to drive the car without plates so long as I have a signed title and bill-of-sell? I know some states allow a grace period of driving without plates (Michigan for example allows 3 days), but I can't find any information on the IN BMV website. Keep in mind I may need to drive the car without plates to the BMV branch itself.

Insurance...
Well, I need proof of insurance to register the car. I'm wondering if my existing policy will temporarily cover my car purchase. I know I know, I should contact my insurance provider (USAA), but I noticed other insurance companies have this in writing on their website... USAA is very secretive and doesn't disclose much information online. Regardless, I will contact an USAA agent. Also, getting pulled over I will want coverage... and forbid I get into an accident.

Then there are out of state purchases... since I live in south-east Indiana I will consider purchasing a car in Kentucky or Ohio...
Or rent a trailer and tow the vehicle or hire somebody to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2016, 02:01 PM

1 posts, read 4,833 times
I have a ?, is there such thing as temporary insurance and plates?
My nephew purchased a car and can't drive it as he doesn't have a license.. he's willing to let me borrow the car...that's where the temp question comes in.
Thank you

Old 03-04-2017, 06:51 AM

1 posts, read 4,538 times
I have car that already put insurance on that I am buying at the time and I was wondering could I drive it without me having a title nor a license plate

Old 06-20-2017, 03:17 PM

1 posts, read 4,139 times
I bought a car in Iowa and I live in Minnesota. How long can I drive the car without license plates? I do have it insured.

Old 06-21-2017, 06:26 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,265,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dah618 View Post
I bought a car in Iowa and I live in Minnesota. How long can I drive the car without license plates? I do have it insured.
Wrong forum? This is the Indiana forum. You should have a bill of sale and the title, obviously signed and dated. You can drive the car back to your home with that but without plates, you have a good chance of getting pulled over. The bill of sale and title should be enough to let you go I would think. But not if it shows you bought the vehicle days or weeks ago. You'd probably be ok to drive it home but then you can't drive it until you get at least a temp tag for it.

I know you aren't in Michigan, but this was on the Michigan DMV's website. I imagine it's pretty similar in most states.

Quote:
If I just bought a vehicle, can I drive it home without it being registered? Yes, but only if you drive the vehicle directly to the first place of storage (usually your home) within three days of the sale. You must have the properly assigned title and proof of insurance with you.

Old 06-21-2017, 07:20 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,605,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dah618 View Post
You can't drive it without some sort of temp license plate (they issue paper ones). Have someone take you to the DMV. Don't drive any car without some sort of license plate in Iowa. The fines are huge.

Old 10-24-2018, 09:16 AM

1 posts, read 3,193 times
I live in Indiana purchased a car in kentucky two months ago. I still haven't received my title and my temporary tags have expired. I've contacted the individual and he told me he was out of town but will be in on the weekend and he thinks my title might be in and he would meet me with the title. That was two weeks ago I've tried contacting him, driven out to his house twice no luck. Tomorrow with be three months that I still don't have a title. I'm getting nervous what do you think my next step should be. I paid in full for the car. I just don't know what to do. Thank you

Old 10-24-2018, 10:58 AM

4,503 posts, read 4,610,521 times
Have you not talked to him in 2 weeks? I don't believe I would be driving that car until you get the legal tags because it could be you bought a stolen car and the cops may try to pin it on you. Not saying that you do, but if you should have any outstanding warrants, you will only be adding to your legal woes because with an expired temporary tag you can expect to be pulled over by the cops at anytime. They can be almost impossible to avoid when you know you are driving a vehicle with expired tags.

Old 06-28-2020, 10:48 AM

1 posts, read 2,320 times
Scenario- Bought car in Indiana. BMV closed. Need to take car to Minnesota and won’t be back for two moths. Can Minnesota help me get my Indiana plates and registration while I’m there?? [email]flatbedder69@gmail.com[/email]

Old 06-28-2020, 02:56 PM

23,270 posts, read 18,787,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatbedder69 View Post
Scenario- Bought car in Indiana. BMV closed. Need to take car to Minnesota and won’t be back for two moths. Can Minnesota help me get my Indiana plates and registration while I’m there?? flatbedder69@gmail.com
Why would the DMV in one state be able to get plates for a car that isn't licensed and/or registered there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana